Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2015, 10:00 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Mansions and yachts is not living modestly.
In an absolute sense, that is true. But it can also be true for a rare few in a relative sense. Billionaires can afford to pay cash for these things without really hurting themselves, financially speaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 10:04 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,164,704 times
i never see such articles

Old 01-31-2015, 10:52 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
If you can't afford car repairs, you can't afford a car. If you can't afford to insure against uninsured motorists (or pay for everything out of pocket), you can't afford a car either.

Whatever happened to living within your means?

One reason we cannot afford to allow people to live in this country illegally.

Without illegal immigration, it would be easier for millions to live within their means.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:18 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
For the price of one of our last two wars we could have thrown them a nice financial life ring, and grown the economy to boot.
Let's say we took the trillion dollars that some people say we spent on the war in Iraq (I have no idea if the number is correct), and divided it among the 100 million least fortunate Americans in some way. That's $10,000 a person. How would you distribute it (tax cut, welfare check, educational voucher, whatever) and what do you think the long-term consequences would be?

I'm not saying that it would or would not help, I'm just wondering what you'd do with the money. It's easier to talk about helping people than to do it.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:12 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Time and time again I keep reading articles by Billionaires telling us to live modestly and donate to charity. They tell the middle class don't live beyond their means and that keeping up with the Jones is what will get you in trouble. Then I read all the cool toys like mansions, yachts, fast cars, and stuff these rich keep buying while telling us not to emulate them. I really hope the pitch forks show up at their country club and mansions. The rich has the world under their control far far too long and all this rhetoric they keep talking is just to tell the poor and the middle class not to compete with them or get jealous of their lifestyles.
It's good advice. If you don't have the money they have you shouldn't try to emulate them. You'll end up in bankruptcy. Why do you think this isn't good advice? They're telling you not to spend money you don't have. That has nothing to do with them spending money THEY DO HAVE.

Telling someone to live within their means is good advice no matter what their means are. What they are telling people is that trying to live like them without the income they have is a dangerous road to go down and it is. Living beyond your means at any level leads to bankruptcy. Far better to buy what you can and save what you can so you can maintain your lifestyle.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:25 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,795,289 times
It's good advice. "Others" should be grateful. Good advice is the best handout.

A penny saved is a penny earned. Live within your means. Without frugality none can be rich, and with it very few would be poor. Rather go to bed without dinner than to rise in debt. Money won't create success, the freedom to make it will. A man in debt is so far a slave. It is a waste of money to help those who show no desire to help themselves.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:32 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Mansions and yachts is not living modestly.
If I can afford $2mil mansion and only buy $800k mansion, is that not modest?

Old 02-01-2015, 07:27 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
One reason we cannot afford to allow people to live in this country illegally.

Without illegal immigration, it would be easier for millions to live within their means.
To an extent, yes. But keep in mind that not all uninsured motorists are illegal immigrants.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:32 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Let's say we took the trillion dollars that some people say we spent on the war in Iraq (I have no idea if the number is correct), and divided it among the 100 million least fortunate Americans in some way. That's $10,000 a person. How would you distribute it (tax cut, welfare check, educational voucher, whatever) and what do you think the long-term consequences would be?

I'm not saying that it would or would not help, I'm just wondering what you'd do with the money. It's easier to talk about helping people than to do it.
Pay people to get education/training by making grants available, for starters. This should include large incentives for employers to train new employees, in an attempt to solve the "can't get a job without experience and can't get experience without a job" problem. The first priority for the grants should be people who were disabled for 6 months or more, or who have cared for a family member with a disability for 6 months or more.

Give employers tax credits in proportion to their employees/profit ratio to incentivize hiring.

Finally, crack down on employers who won't hire someone because they don't own a car. This is actually illegal, IIRC, but virtually never enforced.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:31 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Finally, crack down on employers who won't hire someone because they don't own a car. This is actually illegal, IIRC, but virtually never enforced.
I will not hire anyone without a car.

Where there is no mass-transit......I have to know how they will get to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics