Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 10:29 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times

Advertisements

Once again ScoopLV has hijacked a thread into a discussion of his apocalyptic religious mania. Things are actually going pretty good. Everybody is not going to hell, the world is not ending, and the sky is not falling.

In January, the economy added 120,000 family wage jobs in construction, manufacturing, finance and health care, plus about the same number of lower paid jobs in retail. Over the last 3 months alone the economy has added a million new jobs. This is a great time for underemployed or unemployed millennials to move on up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 10:35 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
First of all, my statement was tongue in cheek, but apparently it was too subtle. So there's no need to "put it as simply as you are able" - I quite grasp what you're saying.

But we weren't talking about birth rates (way to move the goal posts!) - we were talking about life expectancy. Of course the two are intertwined and make for interesting conversation and we can expand the conversation to include both, but don't act as if you were discussing the birth rate initially and I just didn't "get it."
If you grasp it, you wouldn't be mentioning it. Because this is a "ponds eventually dry up during a drought" level of economic simplicity.

You seem to have great difficulty separating individual outcomes and mass trends. If Millennials are dropping dead at the age of 53, James Gandolfini style, a large portion of their peak employment output is snuffed out. As the life-span curve changes, outcomes change. Some Millennials are going to run marathons and live to be 100. There won't be enough of them to counterbalance the ones who are going to die young from Chronic Burger Toxicity.

It's the same sort of logic that differentiates the hypothetical plucky Millennial bootstrapper who does well through prudent personal finance decisions, and the outcome of that generation as a whole. As a group, they are living at home longer, starting families later, and generally experiencing a poorer economic outlook than their predecessors.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Quote:
You seem to have great difficulty separating individual outcomes and mass trends.
No, actually I don't at all. But I could say that you seem to have great difficulty with reading comprehension since you're going off on tangents that even your own sources don't support. Sort of like this one:

Quote:
If Millennials are dropping dead at the age of 53, James Gandolfini style, a large portion of their peak employment output is snuffed out. As the life-span curve changes, outcomes change. Some Millennials are going to run marathons and live to be 100. There won't be enough of them to counterbalance the ones who are going to die young from Chronic Burger Toxicity.
Millennials aren't going to begin dropping dead en masse at age 53, however - as I already pointed out and as even the most gloomy life span predictors also show - their life spans MAY be SLIGHTLY shorter than the average for the Silent, BB and Gen Xers - by a few months, not even a whole year. This is well past retirement age - and once again, this is IF the GLOOMIEST predictions come true. Many valid sources believe that their lifespan will in fact be longer than preceding generations.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:21 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Once again ScoopLV has hijacked a thread into a discussion of his apocalyptic religious mania. Things are actually going pretty good. Everybody is not going to hell, the world is not ending, and the sky is not falling.

In January, the economy added 120,000 family wage jobs in construction, manufacturing, finance and health care, plus about the same number of lower paid jobs in retail. Over the last 3 months alone the economy has added a million new jobs. This is a great time for underemployed or unemployed millennials to move on up.
Not exactly, in January forclosures rose as well. I'm guessing banks thought that it was in poor taste to kick people out during Christmas and Hanukkah. This was something I saw on the local news the other night in a report talking about Obama's visit to Arizona last month about housing being on the rebound. Fox Business has an article showing a 55% increase from December to January and the 10 states where it is much more common
10 States Where Home Repossessions Are on the Rise | Fox Business

Note: Arizona isn't one but it is still pretty economically depressed with only Phoenix on track for the unemployment rate of the nation.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:21 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
I lived in Arizona years ago. It was a very poor place for a young person to go to get a job. Turnover was really high since lots of people moved there and then found that it gets hot in the Summer and jobs pay little. Of course, you could also move to Portland, Oregon where the situation has always been worse but the hordes of young keep arriving. Sometime you just need to go where the jobs are instead of complaining that there are no jobs where you want to live.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I lived in Arizona years ago. It was a very poor place for a young person to go to get a job. Turnover was really high since lots of people moved there and then found that it gets hot in the Summer and jobs pay little. Of course, you could also move to Portland, Oregon where the situation has always been worse but the hordes of young keep arriving. Sometime you just need to go where the jobs are instead of complaining that there are no jobs where you want to live.
You can't exactly "go where the jobs are" if you don't have money to "go where the jobs are." It's kind of a paradox where you have to move for work but you can't move because you can't find work.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:48 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Not exactly, in January forclosures rose as well. I'm guessing banks thought that it was in poor taste to kick people out during Christmas and Hanukkah. This was something I saw on the local news the other night in a report talking about Obama's visit to Arizona last month about housing being on the rebound. Fox Business has an article showing a 55% increase from December to January and the 10 states where it is much more common
10 States Where Home Repossessions Are on the Rise | Fox Business

Note: Arizona isn't one but it is still pretty economically depressed with only Phoenix on track for the unemployment rate of the nation.
Foreclosures follow economic conditions by a few years. If someone gets foreclosed, they have been living there free for two to five years. It's hard to feel sorry for them. From what I have heard, foreclosures are up because banks see a market for the homes if they take possession.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Foreclosures follow economic conditions by a few years. If someone gets foreclosed, they have been living there free for two to five years. It's hard to feel sorry for them. From what I have heard, foreclosures are up because banks see a market for the homes if they take possession.
Meh, the otherwise is stagnating wages and the types of jobs created (which until 2014 were low wage and part time) it can be that they might have been trapped and not able to get better paying jobs to not go underwater on their mortgage forcing the foreclosures. I know, I know, it's not in fashion to take the side off the victim but it's not like all spent wastefully and bright it all on themselves.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:40 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Sure... CD much like many places online are a sounding board for frustrations. Nothing wrong with that.

The difference between you and I is that I don't disregard people/individual sentiment. Yes people whine about this and that... sometimes it is irrational. At the root, some of them.. even many of them.. have REAL and VALID underlying concerns.

Several people have already answered.. they either don't believe its boom times or (like me) like what the reports/stats/news but it will take time for it to make any real impact to daily life... Why are you ignoring/discrediting them?

So, for example... you claim that the cost of goods and services are lower than the highest in the decades (whether or not we agree is besides the point). Who cares if they haven't broken high priced records.. Does that really bring any solace to the person struggling to make ends meet today? No. I tried to point this out and I found your response afterwards a bit condescending.

I was alive during the 90s. My father is a child of the early 1940s (immigrated here in the 70s). Both of us have had discussions of how times have changed in day to day lives.. they are not better. Heck... I moved to my current location and purchased my home in the later part of the 90s. I can say 100%, that things are not better. However, I do like what I see in the reports/news/stats and it gives me hope that translates to real impact in daily lives; cautiously hopeful.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:44 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
The real facts I see is that many think the consumer will get back to pre-2008 demand. But with mortgage low rates; gasoline savings and all other savings consumer are not reacting the same. Just as 26% of the population retiring over the next 13 year at a rate of 10k per day brings consumer demand changes. When you look at products I always remember buying my mother a new refrigerator in the late 60's for her birthday. Side by side. I can buy the same model now at lower price than then; so do I expect to be better.or even same. No; I also expect more problems since it has circuit boards for better efficiency demands. But like my washer we replaced some months ago ; that averaged 18 dollars a month lower water bill over the older bought in 1999; in three years the savings pay initial cost of washer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics