Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2016, 11:39 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,596,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
This is basically your logic:

Step 1: Automation
Step 2: Efficiency
Step 3: ?
Step 4: Wealth and power!
Amazing. You just disregard everything I say and make up your own version of me. You are quite a puzzle. I can't decide if you are doing this on purpose, or have a disorder and can't help yourself. Either way I'm done entertaining you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 12:32 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,235,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Amazing. You just disregard everything I say and make up your own version of me. You are quite a puzzle. I can't decide if you are doing this on purpose, or have a disorder and can't help yourself. Either way I'm done entertaining you.
I HAVE to make up some things to fill in the gaps because you repeatedly failed to provide them. The bottom line is, how can you expect people to know what your version is if you yourself is unable to explain it fully? All I did was ask you questions, I wasn't even at a stage where I can fully analyze your world yet because of the missing information.

Believe it or not, what I reiterated is exactly how I received your disjointed information. The information is unclear, that's why I asked followup questions; most of which are ignored or were given non-answers. You're not going to convince too many people by blowing off the one person who actually want to hear what you have to say.

And I leave you with this: if you can't face scrutiny about your hypothesis or find questions about it annoying, what does that say about your hypothesis?

Old 05-05-2016, 04:45 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Amazing. You just disregard everything I say and make up your own version of me.
Well, you are the quintessential technophobe.

You ignore every study ever completed, regarding the introduction of technology.

Technology creates jobs, rather than eliminating jobs.

This is one such study that debunks your whole thread:

http://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam...and-people.pdf

Old 05-05-2016, 05:29 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,003,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

You ignore every study ever completed, regarding the introduction of technology.

Technology creates jobs, rather than eliminating jobs.

This is one such study that debunks your whole thread:

http://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam...and-people.pdf
It's a past trend, not a rule. Don't pass it off as a rule. Inductive logic can only be so certain. You can't study the future, can you?

Time will tell, mate.

Old 05-05-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I'm not a technophobe in the slightest. Tech is the only thing that improves our living standards.

If that link is the best argument you can muster, then you don't understand the issue at all. They only look at the past to show how great technology has *been*. I've done that myself. It isn't mysterious. The problem is that big changes are in store. In the past humans have had plenty of avenues of comparative advantage over computers and machines where they could find employment. Machines simply augmented productivity. But as computers are becoming more capable, humans are finding their area of advantage dwindling.

Old 05-05-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
It's a past trend, not a rule.
Indeed. Particularly when there are obvious factors that will upset the trend.

Old 05-05-2016, 05:56 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times
Why people cant own robots, and split the output instead of engaging in one idiotic occupation or another to earn enough of $ to buy that output. A job for the sake of having a job, I dont Earth can accomodate that for much longer.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Why people cant own robots, and split the output
In theory we could all live well with little or no work needed, but I explained in the 1st post why it would be naive to expect that egalitarian outcome. For the last 40 years we've trending strongly in the opposite direction. The top .01% has seen a 700% rise in real income and wealth, while the median has been flat.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:56 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Quote:
In theory we could all live well with little or no work needed, but I explained in the 1st post why it would be naive to expect that egalitarian outcome. For the last 40 years we've trending strongly in the opposite direction. The top .01% has seen a 700% rise in real income and wealth, while the median has been flat.
Then whether we go full automation, go to something a bit higher then we're currently at, or anything in between... the income wealth gap is so large that society has been having problems LONG before automation and robotics reach any next level.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:54 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,046,032 times
Here's another half full report.

"By the end of the semester, “Jill” was reportedly answering questions with a 97 percent success rate, having learned to parse the context of queries and reply to them accurately. As Korn writes, students apparently hadn’t suspected anything was unusual about the helpful interlocutor, and at least one claims he was “flabbergasted” when he learned its true nature. (Another tells Korn he had “wanted to nominate Jill Watson as an outstanding TA,” which may well be a joke.) "

Slate: One of the TAs in an Artificial Intelligence Class Was Actually an A.I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics