Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2015, 06:24 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
It's funny that you say that jobs are gone low wage or no benefits. Just a few pages back, people were cheering as if the economy is booming. The left to this day never understood many things. Part of me want to let the lefties keep their self righteousness and never understand it. It doesn't bother me.
Do you even know what a boom looks like? Here's a clue for you: this is as good as it gets. Accumulation of wealth only happens after things have been booming for a few years. Now is the time to find a higher paying job and increase income. Five years from now you can use your savings to implement a long term financial plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 06:28 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
If you're in your 20s and you're not liberal, you don't have a heart. If you're in your 30s and you're not conservative, you don't have a brain.

Lots of young people are led to believe in these things because they are too young, the lack life experience. Being jaded as a middle-aged person may not be the best thing, but there is the experience that is actually good. Young people are just sometimes innocent and naïve about the world. They are prone to being emotionally manipulated.
If you are either one you are a moron, just an ignorant sheep being herded around by your owners until you can be fleeced.

Old 03-14-2015, 07:12 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
If you are either one you are a moron, just an ignorant sheep being herded around by your owners until you can be fleeced.
This I absolutely agree...

Old 03-14-2015, 08:14 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Dear lord -- when have I ever suggested I want more people in debt?

But I do want the masses to continue their consumerism ways. At least for now
While not exactly the same, the two are closely related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
If everyone were to quit cold-turkey and turn into Joe Bootstrapper, our economy would grind to a halt. We'd be Greece.
And the chances of that happening are so low, it's not even worth thinking about.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
You are missing the *reason* why loose credit and unsustainable debt happened. Why it *needed* to happen in fact.
I guess so. I don't think it needed to happen at all. All it did was put off the inevitable.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:23 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,219,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Do you even know what a boom looks like? Here's a clue for you: this is as good as it gets. Accumulation of wealth only happens after things have been booming for a few years. Now is the time to find a higher paying job and increase income. Five years from now you can use your savings to implement a long term financial plan.
And do you not understand words? I was criticizing people for saying there is a boom. I never said there is a boom. I said a few pages back, some posters used the word boom and then cry the end of the world. Pointing that out, do you think, means one embraces their views?

Did I ever say that this is not as good as it gets? My whole post was about how this is the way of the economy. And you don't need to tell me what job I need to get. I have the things I want.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
If we are not to take you on your words, then how do we know what you are trying to convey?

Would you like to revise your post? Soften up your stance? Backpeddle a bit? That would require saying "my bad". I do not think you have it in you.

Of course, it is all about money! It is the tool upon which we build our lives. It separates us from the animals. Well that, plus opposable thumbs and smart phones!

You are either going to spend your money or invest it. Either way it is going to flow into the economy.
The tax man will get his share. And the wheels on the bus go round and round. It is unavoidable.

How you live your life is of zero consequence to anyone but you. 7 billion souls on the planet. Each of us is nothing but a tiny, miniscule speck on a rock spinning through space trying to make the best of it.

Best of luck on your journey.
Never said you can't look at my words. The problem is your misinterpretation. I do not have to soften my stands. It is you who hardened my stance, is you need to soften your it interpretation.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
I'm a 26 year old millenial and I agree with everything you say. When I realize how much I save by not having a family and being able to live with roommates its crazy.
Yeah, I'm GenX and I figured out the same thing when I was like 12. it helped that I'm gay, but not quite as much as one would think. A surprising number of gay men my age have children from heterosexual marriages that inevitably ended in divorce. I never could wrap my head around that.

Quote:
Jobs have become in many case temporary and contracted out. Salaries have plunged permanently due to globalization and debt levels from education have skyrocketed. Now people are forced to live with others just to survive.
Unfortunately, true in many (but not all) cases. We were already on this trajectory when I was in my 20s back in the 1990s. I don't know how people could keep their heads buried in the sand for so long. But they did.

Quote:
A stable family unit actually could be helpful to weather the storm. But feminism has destroyed marriage in the US and most other western countries
Yes, on both counts.

Quote:
where divorce rates are in the 50+% range.
That statistic really isn't true any more and hasn't been for a long time. For those who marry in their late 20s and have college educations, their divorce rate is pretty low.

The Truth About The Divorce Rate Is Surprisingly Optimistic

Quote:
Living all over the country (or world), sleeping with numerous hot women and experiencing life to its fullest is in many ways more liberating than the alternative.
This is cool when you're 26 and have plenty of women to pick from. It's a lot less cool when you're 36 and a lot of those women are married. Even if you still manage to score lots of hot women, to be honest, the flings tend to get old (and let's just say I've done the gay version of this & had my share, ok?) If happiness and the number of sex partners one has were well correlated, gay men would be the happiest people on the planet. Reality check: Depression for gay men is off the charts.

Quote:
Being tied to a mortgage payment you don't want, married to a controlling person you no longer like and desperately trying to please them lest you lose half your stuff and a third of your paycheck for the next 20 years isn't all its cracked up to be
So marry someone with similar goals as you do and you can minimize these problems. Sure, the passion fades over time....but the flings lose their luster over time, too....and for most guys, there will be fewer of them as time passes.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
Of course it is! To those who use the term "lefties", you ARE a "leftie". Smell the coffee dude!

If you aren't a gay hating, anti abortion, big defense loving, anti union, trickle down kinda guy, who has a portrait of Ronald Reagan above the mantle, you are a leftie!

The GOPs deficit spending record speaks for itself. The only difference between the two parties is what programs they prefer to overspend on!

You don't get to make up your own definitions or facts.
You have a problem in your thinking. Just because someone isn't all that stereotype of conservatives doesn't make them a leftie. Far from it. One could argue that most people in the us are center to right. Where does your leftie come from?

Facts indeed should be facts. But you keep using interpretation as facts.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Unions have been pretty much killed, and we outsourced a lot of low skill work. Add in high unemployment and it's obvious why more jobs are just above minimum wage. No bargaining power and low labor demand.
And I'm saying your average Joe F*cked himself by trying to borrow his way into the lifestyle he thought he should have had (and contributed to the inflation that eroded his living standards).

People DO have some control over their lives. I get it that there are forces beyond our control. But I see a whole lot of people who just aren't even doing the basic stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics