Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2015, 03:16 AM

3 posts, read 2,775 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm new to the situation of filing taxes (and to this board) that entail a capital gain and I'm wondering if anyone has any insight.

If a capital gain ends up not having to be taxed (we're in the 15% bracket), why does this amount have to be added onto taxable income on Form 1040? This does not make any sense to me at all. It seems contradictory!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 03:38 AM

106,680 posts, read 108,856,202 times
funny ,i was just replying on another thread to this exact same thing.

capital gains are first figuerd on schedule d with results put on your 1040.

michael kitces gave a good explanation as to how the zero capital gains tax brackets work. it can be tricky as to how it is calculated when you have other ordinary income .

a couple today can have 50k in income and have a 50k long term capital gain and pay as little as 4-5% effective tax rate on everything in total to the fed.

but remember state taxes you fully on that 100k income less deductions and the special capital gains rates do not apply.

when you have other income the ordinary income fills up the tax brackets first .

as michael illustrates with the tax brackets of 2014 , a couple with 50k ordinary income and 50k in long term capital gains will have 50k in income less about 23k in standard deductions and exemptions so they will 29,700 in taxable income that the 50k in capital gains go on top of.

the first 18,250 in in ordinary income fills the 10% bracket , the next 11,550 falls in the 15% bracket.

the next 44,100 in capital gains falls in the 0% bracket since up to 73,500 of income falls in the zero % bracket. the last 5900 of that capital gain gets taxed at 15%.

so you see that 50k capital gain had only a very small part being taxed by the fed. the couples total tax bill will be about 4500.00 bucks to the fed on 100k in income.

the couple’s total tax bill will be only $18,150 x 10% + $11,550 x 15% + $5,900 x 15% = $4,432.50, or an effective tax rate of only about 4.4% on $100,000 of total income!

https://www.kitces.com/blog/understa...p-up-in-basis/

Old 03-20-2015, 03:49 AM

Pardon me but I am even MORE confused...;(

Old 03-20-2015, 04:07 AM

i suggest slowly reading the link i posted , i had to read it over a few times in spots but at the end i finally got a good understanding of it.

the answer is it is a lot more complex as to how zero capital gains work when you have other income too.

you have to still be in the 15% tax bracket with the capital gain added in in order to see zero. is all your other income plus the capital gain in the 15% bracket when added together ?

also it does not change what your agi is for other purposes. your state taxes if any do not recognize zero capital gains . you get taxed on total income including that gain at your full tax rate.

the fact it is zero capital gains does not remove it from income , it still is part of your income , it only breaks it out with a different tax rate applied , it does not mean it vanishes off the tax form.

there are still credits and deductions that may be tied to your total agi and that capital gain still lives on to hurt you in other areas.

it should make more sense now as to why it has to go on the tax form , now that you understand it may be taxed at zero but it is still income that is counted for other things and can still count against you for other deductions and credits.

as an example if you are getting a health insurance subsidy that capital gain could wipe out a part or all of it.

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-20-2015 at 04:50 AM..

Old 03-20-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

you have to still be in the 15% tax bracket with the capital gain added in in order to see zero. is all your other income plus the capital gain in the 15% bracket when added together ?

yes it's still in the 15% bracket. the form is "married filing jointly" and the taxable income is way under the $73,800 number even with the $10,000 capital gain added to taxable income. Ugh.

I didn't realize that the Capital Gain went against Deductions and Credits! That's news to me. As far as health insurance subsidy, does Medicare count as such? I'm interested in finding out what parts in the Internal Revenue Code talk about how the capital gains go against deductions, credits, and health subsidies!

Old 03-20-2015, 12:58 PM

okay , then what i stated is the reason it still has to go on the tax form . it may not have federal taxes due but it effects your total income for other things like health insurance , college deductions , etc.

it isn't that it is gone because it is not taxed. it is very much alive for other purposes and is part of your agi..

anything that references your agi as a base is already saying it still counts.

it is akin to saying show me where it says if my capital gain is big enough i don't qualify for a roth.

it is all based on agi and agi contains that capital gain.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:30 PM

291 posts, read 336,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Bug View Post
Hi, I'm new to the situation of filing taxes (and to this board) that entail a capital gain and I'm wondering if anyone has any insight.

If a capital gain ends up not having to be taxed (we're in the 15% bracket), why does this amount have to be added onto taxable income on Form 1040? This does not make any sense to me at all. It seems contradictory!
All income needs to be reported and your adjusted gross income is an important threshold amount in making Calculations of other taxes and deduction limitations. I've been practicing in this field for 15+ years and much of the internal revenue code still doesn't make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics