Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2015, 08:05 AM

452 posts, read 620,046 times

Advertisements

No jokes or insults here, please. Let's keep it financial.

Grew up in Iowa. Traveled the entire country, and now live in SoCal.

When you visit cost-of-living calculator websites, Iowa cities tend to come up spot on to what is considered an average of national averages. Homes can be had for $75k on the low end, $150k in the middle and $250k+ on the upper ends. Education system is pretty fair for all income groups and neighborhoods. Food prices are in line, etc. Wages vary from $9/hr in the newspaper all the way up to $100k+ for the high per capita numbers of management, finance, and engineering positions in the state. Gas prices are pennies below the nat. avg. of $2.43 today.

Compared to, say, CA, where home prices are much higher than median wages. There are a lot of jobs paying $10/hr Inland SoCal, where as $10/hr you can still manage to live alone in the Midwest you have no chance in CA. There are also a lot of jobs paying millions in SoCal, justifying expensive areas same as NYC. Poorer suburbs in SoCal have poorer performing schools, across the range of entire cities. Compare cities educational systems like Rialto to Rancho Cucamonga, or Cerritos to Bellflower and Cudahy.

I actually use Iowa as a benchmark to compare cities, states, prices, etc. Things there seem to be quite average. Puts things in perspective when comparing to where you may live now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 10:53 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,302,771 times
Depends on your benchmark. For average college entrance scores the upper Midwest and Plains states are ALWAYS at the top. Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, etc. I grew up in South Dakota but got a grad degree in California and thought I was back in grade school. Very inferior educational system for the most part. Weather was better though.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:18 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
I have driven through Iowa a great many times. On one trip I noticed a very large farm and farmhouse. Next to the house, less than a 100' away, was a pile of manure bigger than the house. Even from a half mile away, there was no doubt about the odor. When I think about Iowa I cannot help but think about that pile of manure and the huge amount of land where it could have been placed. This may not have been typical of Iowa, but I am still glad I never lived there.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:20 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,302,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I have driven through Iowa a great many times. On one trip I noticed a very large farm and farmhouse. Next to the house, less than a 100' away, was a pile of manure bigger than the house. Even from a half mile away, there was no doubt about the odor. When I think about Iowa I cannot help but think about that pile of manure and the huge amount of land where it could have been placed. This may not have been typical of Iowa, but I am still glad I never lived there.
Ever driven through Harris Ranch area in CA ? Smells like s;&$ for half an hour!

Old 03-31-2015, 10:05 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Depends on your benchmark. For average college entrance scores the upper Midwest and Plains states are ALWAYS at the top. Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, etc. I grew up in South Dakota but got a grad degree in California and thought I was back in grade school. Very inferior educational system for the most part. Weather was better though.
agree.... The public school/test results in these states (Wisconsin also) seem to be, in general, above the national average (will not include Illinois on this list ) These states always seem to appear at the top of the school/test result lists (along with a few eastern states, like Vermont).

Old 03-31-2015, 11:19 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I lived in Iowa for a year and couldn't wait to leave.

Yes, the state scores well on a lot of metrics. However, it is flat, isolated, boring, and has the most extreme weather I've ever seen. I found the people to not be friendly at all. Maybe I could appreciate it at some point, but I just tell people I forget I ever lived there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics