Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 09:40 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,980 times

Advertisements

Why do so many people feel they should hand out a tip to those who are paid to do a job?

I understand that restaurant servers should be tipped, and I tip well in that regard, hotel housekeeping, I tip them as well. Gas pump jockey's, barista's, movers? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 09:54 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
because labor markets only pay for what a job is worth and the closer you get to doing things we can do for ourselves the less you will get payed. in fact if it wasn't for the minimum wage laws those jobs would be paid less.

i can pour my own coffee at 7-11 instead of someone doing it for me at star bucks .

so to earn a decent wage the worker appeals to the customer to pay them a little more than the job is worth , kind of a charity request in a way.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:56 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
There is good customer service and there is bad customer service. Tipping is some people's way of "returning the favor" for good customer service, and to encourage it.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:45 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
There are repeat customers and there aren't. Companies pay for good staff to keep customers. Tipping isn't part of that calculation.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:57 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
The one tipping custom I find strange is the situation of a sole proprietor. Let's say there is a woman's hairdresser who is a sole proprietor - that is, she is not an employee - she owns the business and has no employees. She rents the business space & buys equipment. She sets the price of the services she offers such as haircut, coloring, blow-outs and other services.

Under the above scenario, I don't understand the purpose of the tip even though it is customary. To me, she has the ability to set the price & hence her total revenue so I do not see the purpose of the tip. As the owner of the business, she already has incentive to perform well and hence a tip does not provide extra incentive to perform well.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:18 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
The one tipping custom I find strange is the situation of a sole proprietor. Let's say there is a woman's hairdresser who is a sole proprietor - that is, she is not an employee - she owns the business and has no employees. She rents the business space & buys equipment. She sets the price of the services she offers such as haircut, coloring, blow-outs and other services.

Under the above scenario, I don't understand the purpose of the tip even though it is customary. To me, she has the ability to set the price & hence her total revenue so I do not see the purpose of the tip. As the owner of the business, she already has incentive to perform well and hence a tip does not provide extra incentive to perform well.
In that case, it serves as a "Thank you."

Old 04-26-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
In that case, it serves as a "Thank you."
do I get thanked for not killing anyone in the hospital with tips? I mean I'm paid well, but I don't get tipped... Though I know people do get fruit baskets and such from happy patients. I do get my share of cookies

Old 04-26-2015, 02:03 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,792,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post

I almost got into a fistfight with the caterer at my wedding because he told me there was an expected tip of $50 on top of the $300 I paid for the food and service. Fricking charge the full disclosed price. Don't fricking backdoor me.

As you all can tell, I hate the good old American custom of tipping. Pay your people what they are worth to your business, and stop expecting your customers to pick up the slack !!!!! Hidden costs like tipping are nothing but a ripoff.

PS people get paid to do job. So do it. What's with all this tip and bonus (which is nothing more than a tip) nonsense for people who have a job to do?

Old 04-26-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
I almost got into a fistfight with the caterer at my wedding because he told me there was an expected tip of $50 on top of the $300 I paid for the food and service. Flicking charge the full disclosed prive. Don't flicking backdrop me.

As you all can tell, I hate the good old American custom of tipping. Pay your people what they are worth to your business, and stop expecting your customers to pick up the slack !!!!! Hidden costs like tipping are nothing but a ripoff.
Yep, I feel the same way.

When I tip it's because I feel like it, not to supplement salaries. If they make minimum wage, it really isn't any of my concern anymore than my boss getting twice what I make.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:57 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
I tip for good service or small extras from hairdresser who is there for me at 7:00 to the bug man who never forgets the tornado shelter or our mail man who waits for me to get the door instead of sticking a note in the mail box.

A little extra goes a long way.

SportyAndMisty - I have a very close relationship with my hair and it took me years to grow what I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics