Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2015, 09:48 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Sigh.... If people spent half the effort working that you do making excuses, nobody would be poor.

Look, here's how it works: First job is typically minimum wage, and you learn basic job skills. Second job pays a bit better, and you learn more advanced job skills. Third job, more money and more skills. So on and so forth. This is the way it has worked for the past 50+ years for 95%+ of the job force. Is there a small percentage who gets stuck on job #1? Yes, but that isn't the fault of those who did it the right way. Nor should we totally jack up the economy and punish those who succeeded because a few didn't.
It is there fault that even though they work hard and get education there are not jobs for them? You just totally avoided where I said there are not enough jobs for everyone. Our economy is a pyramid tons of jobs at bottom but as you go up there is less and less so it is impossible for everyone to get a higher paying job. A small amount gets stuck is that why so many are on government assistance and government housing.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Ah okay, you are attempting to prove your point by:
1. Refusing to provide proof of any claim you make
2. Dismissing any proof others provide

So let's ask again, Storm Eagle must have more data and analytical skills at his fingertips than the Congressional Budget Office since he dismisses their analysis that does have a link to underlying data as a useless opinion piece.

Hey Storm Eagle, what percentage of min wage workers come from families under the poverty line?
You are the one making the claim that most people on min wage are in families that are above poverty but you have not shown any evidence I never made that claim. Of course I dismissed the proof you offered and I wrote why but you refuse to actually come back with a response just saying I proved nothing. I can post links to so can you disprove them?

Demographics of Low-Wage Workers | Raise The Minimum Wage

Low-wage Workers Are Older Than You Think: 88 Percent of Workers Who Would Benefit From a Higher Minimum Wage Are Older Than 20, One Third Are Over 40 | Economic Policy Institute

5 Things You Don't Know About Minimum Wage Workers in Canada | Press Progress

The average minimum wage worker today is not who you think | MSNBC

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/10/up...wage.html?_r=0

http://www.cepr.net/documents/public...rs-2013-08.pdf

6 Lies We Should Stop Spreading About Raising the Minimum Wage

See I can post info to so you posting one link does not prove anything. I would also like to point out that your so called evidence only applied to min wage workers so it did not give any examples of the people working barely above min wage.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:29 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,571,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
You are the one making the claim that most people on min wage are in families that are above poverty but you have not shown any evidence I never made that claim
Sure you did. As soon as you said people with min wage jobs would be homeless if they didn't take them you are taking the position that min wage workers are in poverty. Clearly that isn't the case, and whatever desperate googling you doesn't change it.

Here, have another study since CBO is an opinion piece to you:

Apparently Storm Eagle's battle cry that minimum wage workers must take that job fails, and I'm sure the EPI study will also be dismissed as opinion.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Sure you did. As soon as you said people with min wage jobs would be homeless if they didn't take them you are taking the position that min wage workers are in poverty. Clearly that isn't the case, and whatever desperate googling you doesn't change it.

Here, have another study since CBO is an opinion piece to you:

Apparently Storm Eagle's battle cry that minimum wage workers must take that job fails, and I'm sure the EPI study will also be dismissed as opinion.
This chart like the other charts you posted just put percentages they never say the total amount they surveyed. 21% of that number could be a huge amount of people. Even if it is a small amount if it helps some people why is that a bad thing? I posted a bunch of info that the people who work min wage are not just teenagers but as most of what I post you avoid it because it proves you wrong but you want to hold tight to that one website because it is all you have. You are wrong but lets say if you were right and most min wage workers were just a second income and were above poverty line why is giving them money a bad thing they would have more money to spend in the economy?

Old 11-29-2015, 08:18 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,234,324 times
For those of you that supposedly know something about economics, what is your argument for an inflationary money supply but a fixed wage floor?

How is that good?

Old 11-29-2015, 11:06 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,707,417 times
Quote:
It is there fault that even though they work hard and get education there are not jobs for them? You just totally avoided where I said there are not enough jobs for everyone. Our economy is a pyramid tons of jobs at bottom but as you go up there is less and less so it is impossible for everyone to get a higher paying job. A small amount gets stuck is that why so many are on government assistance and government housing.
Who said there aren't jobs for them? There may not be jobs right in their area, but there are jobs. Let's further expand on my previous post. While there are new people entering the workforce at minimum wage level all the time, there are also record numbers of people retiring. This means that as new people enter, old people leave and those in the middle move up to fill those positions. The workforce is not stagnant, and nobody with job skills and/or education is magically "stuck" in a minimum wage job. If they are stuck, it is through their own decisions and actions - or refusal to take action such as leaving a comfortable environment in order to advance themselves.

Now, if you're worried about the number of low wage jobs vs. the number of high wage jobs, why aren't you fighting to do something meaningful about the situation? Instead of fighting for a meaningless raise in the minimum wage, why aren't you pushing for a more business friendly environment in which good paying manufacturing jobs are available? Rather than punishing the few businesses which still produce goods within the United States by enforcing a ridiculous minimum wage on them, why not reward those producers and encourage more by pushing for import tariffs and lower taxes for domestic producers? Your argument is that there aren't enough high paying jobs, so why not do something about that rather than worry about what entry level workers are getting paid?

Old 11-29-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
You are the one making the claim that most people on min wage are in families that are above poverty but you have not shown any evidence I never made that claim.
You claimed minimum wage workers take those jobs because otherwise they'd be homeless, right? If most of them aren't even in poverty households, that claim cannot be true. The exception doesn't make the rule and certainly doesn't support an absolute claim like you made.

Quote:
Of course I dismissed the proof you offered and I wrote why but you refuse to actually come back with a response just saying I proved nothing. I can post links to so can you disprove them?
Why would I bother trying to disprove your links, not one of them backs up your already debunked claim that minimum wage workers would be homeless if they didn't take the job.

You were caught in a lie, and now you're dancing in circles trying to get around that fact. Pretty funny.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
This chart like the other charts you posted just put percentages they never say the total amount they surveyed. 21% of that number could be a huge amount of people.
Total amount isn't relevant when the point is disputing your post about minimum wage workers being homeless if they don't take the job.

Clearly that is false the overwhelming majority of the time, would you agree?

Quote:
You are wrong but lets say if you were right and most min wage workers were just a second income and were above poverty line why is giving them money a bad thing they would have more money to spend in the economy?
Wait, what? How am I wrong?

I'm saying most minimum wage workers aren't in poverty households, can you explain exactly how you have decided that is wrong when numerous sources I've posted show otherwise?

Old 11-29-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Who said there aren't jobs for them? There may not be jobs right in their area, but there are jobs. Let's further expand on my previous post. While there are new people entering the workforce at minimum wage level all the time, there are also record numbers of people retiring. This means that as new people enter, old people leave and those in the middle move up to fill those positions. The workforce is not stagnant, and nobody with job skills and/or education is magically "stuck" in a minimum wage job. If they are stuck, it is through their own decisions and actions - or refusal to take action such as leaving a comfortable environment in order to advance themselves.

Now, if you're worried about the number of low wage jobs vs. the number of high wage jobs, why aren't you fighting to do something meaningful about the situation? Instead of fighting for a meaningless raise in the minimum wage, why aren't you pushing for a more business friendly environment in which good paying manufacturing jobs are available? Rather than punishing the few businesses which still produce goods within the United States by enforcing a ridiculous minimum wage on them, why not reward those producers and encourage more by pushing for import tariffs and lower taxes for domestic producers? Your argument is that there aren't enough high paying jobs, so why not do something about that rather than worry about what entry level workers are getting paid?
People retire sure and that opens up some jobs but like I said before there is not enough jobs for everyone to move up to a higher job and if you do not believe that it is because you have no idea how the job market works in this country. There are plenty of people with skills or education who are stuck you need to get out more. Right it is their own decisions and actions that is why they are working these jobs it couldn't be they are not smart, or not have a good upbringing, did not have money to go to school, have an illness it is all their choices. Why not raise min wage we have done it many times and there has never been huge unemployment, price raises or any other thing happen like some wannabe economists act will happen?

Old 11-29-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Total amount isn't relevant when the point is disputing your post about minimum wage workers being homeless if they don't take the job.

Clearly that is false the overwhelming majority of the time, would you agree?

Wait, what? How am I wrong?

I'm saying most minimum wage workers aren't in poverty households, can you explain exactly how you have decided that is wrong when numerous sources I've posted show otherwise?
I already proved you wrong but you refuse to address the points I make. I mean these people have to pay rent right even if they have another income they still might lose it all because that one income may be enough. I actually have evidence this happens.

HomeAid

Jobs and Homelessness: A Message from USICH Deputy Director Anthony Love | Pathways to Employment | Plan Objective

More Families Homeless As Unemployment Continues « CBS Houston

Going From Middle Class to Poverty - US News

Middle-Class Faces Homelessness After Job Loss
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics