Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2015, 06:27 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times

Advertisements

You were expecting retail sales data to support your thread claiming a major recession.

It didn't, and now you're just engaging in ridiculous hand waving trying to chase your incorrect conclusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 09:26 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
Retail recession means sales are declining, right?? Because comp store sales are still UP. The last 2 weeks have been +1.9% and +1.5% for US retailers. It's certainly not the best holiday sales season of all time, but consumers are still spending MORE than they did last year which means that neither the broad US economy nor the retail sector are in a recession.
Retail stores were up slightly, but online sales went through the roof. They were so much more than anyone predicted to the point though FedEx prepared for a big increase, it was so much larger that they could not get all the packages delivered for Christmas. In some areas of t he country, they were delivering today (Christmas Day). Retail had a good year overall. Brick and Mortar did not have a huge increase, because online sales went through the roof.

Overall combining the stores and online shopping retail is certainly not in a recession.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:53 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,356,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
I agree.

No one wants to pay sales tax and the online vendor who doesn't have sales tax and free shipping wins over the bricks and mortar.
But you have to pay use tax in it's place. So there's no "win".

Old 01-04-2016, 12:43 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,959 times
10 years of "processing errors" in construction spending data.

US Government Discovers 10 Years Of "Processing Errors" In Construction Spending Data Slamming GDP | Zero Hedge

Just wait till they confess the same with retail data

This is about main street.

Everyone is feeling this.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:51 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Ah hah, so the latest round of hand waving by J.Thomas has arrived!

Since retail data proved you wrong about retail being in a major recession, we have now been instructed to await some future admission that said retail data was incorrect. You're now falling back on "data proved me wrong but someday they'll admit that data proved me right."

Can we safely assume that if retail data had instead backed your claim you wouldn't be as interested in questioning it's validity? I think so.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:51 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,630,095 times
Quote:
10 years of "processing errors" in construction spending data.

US Government Discovers 10 Years Of "Processing Errors" In Construction Spending Data Slamming GDP | Zero Hedge

This is about main street.

Everyone is feeling this.
Everyone knows (well almost everyone) that government data everywhere is cooked to suit the Central Banks and politicians. It is incredibly obvious to all those with a modicum sense of history and politics. The most fantastical fantasy is how our media has lured us into believing Chinese Government data. So totally, ludicrously absurd.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:18 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times
I would find it hard to believe that retail sales are down given that every one of my trips to the store during December was like a warzone of shoppers AND the growth in online shopping occurring at the same time...

Old 01-05-2016, 07:36 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,630,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
I would find it hard to believe that retail sales are down given that every one of my trips to the store during December was like a warzone of shoppers AND the growth in online shopping occurring at the same time...
Absolutely deserted where I live.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:53 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,959 times
Please don't use any GIFs in this thread, this a serious discussion.

I'm not proven wrong.

I've been saying this whole time that data is cooked and there we have it in housing data.

I'm rather using independent data like consumer confidence, manufacturing numbers ...etc.

These are good parameters.

I'm still standing by my claim

Consumers have no money.

Will you accept now that they were cooking these data??

Old 01-05-2016, 01:06 PM

374 posts, read 492,352 times
Quote:
Please don't use any GIFs in this thread, this a serious discussion.

I'm not proven wrong.

I've been saying this whole time that data is cooked and there we have it in housing data.

I'm rather using independent data like consumer confidence, manufacturing numbers ...etc.

These are good parameters.

I'm still standing by my claim

Consumers have no money.

Will you accept now that they were cooking these data??

Dear one,

You are wasting your time with those that have an agenda to mock you, not see, or worse. Ignore works well, they will try to mock, shut down your thread with the goings back and forth. There is one in particular, that you know they will zero in on a poster, badger, badger, make fun of get others in on, then.... wait for it thread shut down. Hmmmm how they have time for this at work is beyond me, but to each their own for hobbies, agendas etc. Lets also remember some are paid to post, with tax payer dollars for their group. Sigh.

Oh and the I want proof crowd who is too lazy to google, search, research or just want your link to yell crummy site, crummy person, doesn't matter if the link has a link to gov. info , corrections, or the Wall street journal. If they want to push an agenda they will.

Great thread by the way. Cooked numbers hmmm who would have figured. Oh and I love but the restaurants are full crowds. Doesn't matter if people are broke, the foreclosures are starting again, and many don't cook. But the restaurants full that is the ticket to a strong economy. Not how many small businesses opened, closed, how many Americans lost jobs replaced by the Visa crowd, etc.

Yes there is online sales good glory it is easy for us all to shop that way, yes some stores were rocking it was Christmas after-all ( oh for the agenda crowd yes I used the word Christmas) but overall, well..... Cue in the melt down mamas, or the agenda, or link please...bwahahhaha. No, how about you all get back to work, earn your dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics