Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 10:45 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,959 times

Advertisements

I started Target thread but wanted to talk broadly on retail so i'm starting this thread.

Target closing 13 stores news piece :

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/target...142502009.html

Some suggested this is less than 1% of total stores and they are right

But in a recovering economy shouldn't they be opening more stores instead of closing

And then this happened.

The Legendary U.S. Consumer Is Out Of Cash In These Cities | Zero Hedge

This week retail stocks started crashing.

Target, Macy's, Nordstrom and JCPenney.

Retail Stocks Are Crashing At The Fastest Pace In Over 4 Years | Zero Hedge

It is suggested that online sales are eclipsing retail industry.

I agree with that but nowhere near like all brick and mortar businesses are gonna bankrupt.

Just wait till Amazon and Ebay stocks start collapsing

Also i'd like to ask you consumers a question.

Do you guys have any money??

Salaries are stuck at the same level for decades and how about your cost of living??

Did it also decrease??

I tell you retail is in carnage

Hear me out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 11:08 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,784,000 times
In my case the health insurance premium went up by 90 dollars per month and that has to come out of other spending. Stores can expect 1080.00 less spending per year by this consumer.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:44 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Its because of inflation. Too much money out there chasing too few goods. All you have to do is look at the empty shelves to know its inflation.

I always wondered why they weren't blocking the streets with pallets of hundred dollar bills during the protests...There is just too much money. We don't want it all. We are being smothered with it.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:11 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times
I don't see that downturn here in my local area, as for Target they were, and still are, moving in dubious directions with regard to strategies and store placement. I've been aware of a kind of economic shrinkage in the retail space, but most businesses have already made the required adjustments to inventory and employment, the result has been a noted economic marginalization of millions of American workers over the last six years or so. Many of the jobless are done in the workplace, they have seen their work go away or become mechanized, retail of course would be the first place we'd see the chickens come home to roost in regards to those sad employment stats.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:02 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,630,095 times
My wife and I clamped down the hatches several years ago in anticipation of a continued recession and ZIRP policies. A few points:

As wealth becomes more and more concentrated the bottom 99% have less and less to spend thereby ensuring a deteriorating economy. Wealthy people do not by goods and services, they but hard assets.

The economy has been treading water but inducing people to borrow from the future whether it be lands for homes, autos, tuition, credit card etc. Families have run out of the ability to borrow from the future especially given the persistent low wage climate.

All of this is engineered by the Federal Reserve. It is obvious what is happening but like the low life they are they persist until every last ounce of blood is drawn out of the 99%.

It has gotten so bad that the Republican Party had become the biggest basher of greed on Wall Street and the disgusting policies of the Federal Reserve. Go figure but people are really fed up with the solution that the Feds are providing, I.e. borrow more!

Old 11-13-2015, 02:07 PM
JYT

109 posts, read 125,081 times
That is not retail. Those are retail franchises which thought they could expand, and made the wrong choice.

Old 11-13-2015, 03:12 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
Face it, stocks and commodities going down. The Fed is trying to get inflation going and is failing. We're in a long term recession/ depression. Fed anticipation of a rate hike will probably decrease in the next month or so. Hang on to your shorts, this could be a rough ride.

Old 11-13-2015, 03:48 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Face it, stocks and commodities going down. The Fed is trying to get inflation going and is failing. We're in a long term recession/ depression. Fed anticipation of a rate hike will probably decrease in the next month or so. Hang on to your shorts, this could be a rough ride.

The Fed is putting another reel of cartoons in the projector. It knows what its doing....

Old 11-13-2015, 04:17 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
I know it sounds counter intuitive (at least it must to OUR corp execs) but I think the best thing for these chains to do is to re-invest in their payroll. The only way they're going to stay at all competitive with online is to offer better, faster, and more personal service. Unfortunately they seem to have spent too long going in the other direction with cutting budgets and cutting staff as if they think they can compete on price alone.

Old 11-13-2015, 04:41 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,088 times
I agree with you DubbleT, and I'll throw one more into the pot: interest rates need to go up. It is going to crush big ticket purchases in the interim, but super-low rates are exactly why homes and real estate, and auto prices, and tuition, and other big expenditures keep going up up up. Eating away more of our discretionary income to spend at the mall, NOT with a credit card.

0% for too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics