Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 07:54 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The actual answer is the customer who makes minimum payments. Ever figure out what the finance charges would be at a 21% annual rate amortized over four years? Hint, that $100 doubles in 3.43 years. That's a lot of wealth to spread around. So you're subsidizing those rewards very little.From sales they wouldn't otherwise have gotten.

In the example I gave, the business got a sale from a credit card user and also a sale from me. You're saying the credit card user would not have purchased without a credit card? Why would that person need a nudge I don't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
While that is tragic, I have you beat by a long shot. As a part of my property taxes I paid over $4500 to the local school district last year and I don't even have any school aged children. On a smaller note, I had to pay the same price for a hamburger that some other guy did for a cheeseburger. I am sick of subsidizing his cheese.

And I have you beat by a long shot. The property taxes on my rented home include an extra $1,500 a year because it's a rental and I don't even have any school aged children.

In other words, I subsidized both the homeowner with kids in school AND the homeowner without kids in school.

Try and beat that!

Old 01-14-2016, 08:03 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,129,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
In the example I gave, the business got a sale from a credit card user and also a sale from me. You're saying the credit card user would not have purchased without a credit card? Why would that person need a nudge I don't?
A lot of people prefer credit cards and will go to stores that use them. Credit cards provide a great deal of convenience in addition to rewards and benefits.

As research has shown, retailers that accept credit cards will receive more business than those that do not. The added revenue covers the cost of doing business.

Your example of 2 consumers, is impractical to analyze.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
And I have you beat by a long shot. The property taxes on my rented home include an extra $1,500 a year because it's a rental and I don't even have any school aged children.

In other words, I subsidized both the homeowner with kids in school AND the homeowner without kids in school.

Try and beat that!
You don't pay property taxes. The homeowner pays property taxes. If you are paying towards a line item called property tax, you might want to sue your landlord. That is not your responsibility. That is his/her responsibility. You are simply expected to pay rent (and utility expenses).

In other words, renters don't subsidize anyone when it comes to property taxes.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
A lot of people prefer credit cards and will go to stores that use them. Credit cards provide a great deal of convenience in addition to rewards and benefits.

As research has shown, retailers that accept credit cards will receive more business than those that do not. The added revenue covers the cost of doing business.

Your example of 2 consumers, is impractical to analyze.

So I should just shut up and continue to subsidize credit card users without the impracticality of analyzing?

Old 01-14-2016, 08:09 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:

Try and beat that!
Wow you pay the property taxes separately when you're just renting? I've never heard of that.

Quote:
You're saying the credit card user would not have purchased without a credit card? Why would that person need a nudge I don't?
Some people get a nudge from advertisements I don't when we buy from the same store, since I didn't see the ads. Why would that person need a nudge I don't? Sometimes stuff at the grocery store is on sale that I don't want, why are they getting benefits oh woe to me I'm a victim.

I've never considered that before since I don't have such a finely tuned 23,000 post victim acumen, but same thing. We can all spend out days crying and moaning that it isn't fair because something we purchased included a price for something the vendor spent money on we didn't benefit from, but very few of us do because we don't spend our days trying to frame ourselves as a victim instead of taking any responsibility for our lot in life.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:13 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
But yeah, the whole credit card industry is propped up by moron cardholders who carry a balance and pay those outrageous interest rates.
My travel addiction thanks these morons!!!

Old 01-14-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
You don't pay property taxes. The homeowner pays property taxes. If you are paying towards a line item called property tax, you might want to sue your landlord. That is not your responsibility. That is his/her responsibility. You are simply expected to pay rent (and utility expenses).

In other words, renters don't subsidize anyone when it comes to property taxes.

Yes I am paying a line item because I chose to do so.

Why did I choose to do so?

Because the legislature engineered a huge tax shift which cut property taxes and hiked the sales tax. My landlord got a property tax cut and I ended up worse off when the rent didn't fall but my sales tax went up.

So I got my landlord to agree to the line item so that any future property tax cuts go in my pocket.

You know darn well that landlords MUST recoup ALL costs (including property taxes) PLUS an acceptable profit, or they will sell their rental property and put their money in a more profitable investment. So renters do not magically escape paying property taxes.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
So I should just shut up and continue to subsidize credit card users without the impracticality of analyzing?
No. Since you don't subsidize credit card users now, I don't think it's something you should start doing in the future.

If you want to analyze something, do it in a manner that will have meaningful results. A good way to do it in this case would be to observe sales of multiple grocery stores that accept credit cards and don't in similar metro and rural areas for a short period of time (6-12 months). Then you can analyze real data and report back. #ThingsYouLearninCollege

Old 01-14-2016, 08:16 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
You know darn well that landlords MUST recoup ALL costs (including property taxes) PLUS an acceptable profit
You mean landlords HOPE to recoup ALL costs. Even you can't be naive enough to think nobody has been burned trying to play landlord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics