Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 01:17 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

Odds are just by human nature being what is most frugal folks who managed to save large sums of money generally are not parting with it in some massive collapse to take the risk of buying anything.

It is one of those things that sounds plausable but will rarely actually happen much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 01:43 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
In my case I was unable to execute... it was not for lack of trying times... one was the backup offer for 59 days and my offer was cash as-is... it was a deal of a lifetime... for me anyway.

I tend to be contrarian... when people sell... I'm looking to buy... when people are buying like there is no tomorrow it's not me.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:55 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,386,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I have been wrong before. Right now I see a healthy amount of buyers and a healthy amount of sellers. I don't see the rush that we have had in other run ups in the market. Not to discount other actions that might disrupt the apple cart. A large move in the interest rate could slow things but realize we are still at historic lows. People were buying when rates were in the 6, 7, 8 and even higher ranges.
Yes we are at historic lows. And we are not seeing the feeding frenzy we had before the top of the market. But healthy? I can't agree with that one as healthy interest rates would collapse the economy and with that there wouldn't be any buyers for the houses.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:29 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

2008 was really the first in a long time that hit the country as a whole.
The country? How about the whole world?

Old 02-11-2016, 06:12 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Odds are just by human nature being what is most frugal folks who managed to save large sums of money generally are not parting with it in some massive collapse to take the risk of buying anything.
For the average person, it is a dumb idea to buy a house with the majority of their cash during a financial crisis. If they had the cash to buy a house back in 2008, they should still have more than enough to buy a house in today's real estate market (assuming they had invested in the stock market instead).

Old 02-11-2016, 06:35 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
For the average person, it is a dumb idea to buy a house with the majority of their cash during a financial crisis. If they had the cash to buy a house back in 2008, they should still have more than enough to buy a house in today's real estate market (assuming they had invested in the stock market instead).
Depends on location. Houses got VERY cheap in some places, where it would've made sense to buy them. If you didn't buy, then you have to take money out of your stock portfolio every month to pay your rent. if the house was sufficiently cheap at the beginning of the time period under consideration, your stock portfolio would experience a significant drag as a result.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:29 PM

7,046 posts, read 6,298,150 times
I'm just crossing my fingers that my brother, who thinks like Mathjak, is correct. I am trusting that the loss of my monies, will be made up & make more. I will not have to touch it for a long time, 5 years at the least, but I see no reason why I can't wait until 70, when I will have to take some out.

I just hope you guys are right & I wish they would quit sending a monthly statement, which shows my funds dwindling. I just have to close my eyes & trust. My brother is now a millionaire due to his wise investments.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:23 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
If the homes drop values too fast and foreclosures pop up the banks will jump in and repossess them and take them off market this will prevent the home values to drop and then they will ask for a bailout. That is what happened in 08'
You are missing a key point........

The banks had Tarp/FED to back them up 08

The FED/ECB are out of options that's why they are going negative rates they are toast.

How is the bank going to sit on surplus inventory when none of the big ones can pass the stress test from the Fed

Even China has their own Plunge Protection Team they threw $50 mil at the other day

and this is what they are getting for their money

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...TF-8#q=CSI+300

and it's spreading fast

https://www.google.com/finance?cid=15513676 Nikkei 225

The USD is the strongest dollar right now crazy world.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:15 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Paulson said we are not facing another financial crisis. He is the guy that made a lot of money in the last housing bubble.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:04 AM

3,792 posts, read 2,386,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Paulson said we are not facing another financial crisis. He is the guy that made a lot of money in the last housing bubble.
The next one is just different enough that you don't see it coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics