Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2016, 04:12 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,789,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Q: Why does the rent keep going up?

A: Because We Can
Costs, insurance and property taxes keep going up and of course they are going to pass those costs onto you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 08:10 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,510,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Costs, insurance and property taxes keep going up and of course they are going to pass those costs onto you.

How many BILLIONS have landlords saved through refinancing? And conservatives should stop taxing rental properties up the wazoo.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Why don't you partner with someone and purchase a rental together? Besides your rent payment, what else could you offer a partner? Are you handy with home repairs? Would you screen tenants and collect rents?

That's an intriguing concept but the type of person who purchases a rental property is pretty much in it for the money and I cannot successfully compete in that market.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:13 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,359,535 times
Quote:
How many BILLIONS have landlords saved through refinancing? And conservatives should stop taxing rental properties up the wazoo.
You cannot refinance costs, insurance and property taxes.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
By the time that rent payment caught up, if the house is sufficiently expensive, the renter's investment portfolio, if he/she invested the excess cash flow aggressively, might be worth so much and be throwing off so much income that the owner will never, ever catch up.

In places like San Francisco, this appears very likely the case right now.

There is simply no substitute for running the numbers.

Problem is, the low-income demographics of renters are inadequate to support excess cash, let alone investing excess cash.

Renters above median income typically are investing intensely in order to exit the rental market, but renters are heavily concentrated in the two bottom income quartiles.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:28 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,789,217 times
Quote:
Really? In our state, we had a Republican governor and he didn't raise taxes but a Democrat convinced people we need to raise taxes and got voted in and our republican legislature is still fighting them.

If our Democrat governor gets his way, rents are going up.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:38 PM

18,550 posts, read 15,626,944 times
Quote:
Problem is, the low-income demographics of renters are inadequate to support excess cash, let alone investing excess cash.

Renters above median income typically are investing intensely in order to exit the rental market, but renters are heavily concentrated in the two bottom income quartiles.
The fact that they typically buy property when they can has no effect on the fact that that it may not be financially the best decision for them (depending on the market).

Old 02-27-2016, 09:58 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,764,237 times
Quote:

I was able to save via refinancing.... it also let me hold the line on rent increases... must be doing something right with tenants going back as far as the 1980's...

Old 02-27-2016, 09:59 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,192,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
If I thought being a long distance LL were so easy and also profitable, I would have already bought a cheap house somewhere in a distant land while stuck living in a HCOL area for grad school.
I have always done real well and what real estate investment has given me is much more than any job I have ever had.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:01 PM

18,550 posts, read 15,626,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
I have always done real well and what real estate investment has given me is much more than any job I have ever had.
And lots of others have failed spectacularly. Perhaps you also are not as time-constrained as I am. I don't have many extra hours to deal with this stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics