Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 11:56 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,390,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon7366 View Post
Instead of writing a letter why didn't he just send in a check ?

I bet they did not think this way when they were accumulating their wealth. Now they want to change the rules after they set themselves up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 11:59 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,251,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
All they need to do is write a check. No reason to force others that don't have the same mindset.
I find it fascinating that some people who might not be affected by this taking the position that they don't want to be taxed.

I honestly thought it would take much more income to be in the top 1% (ie $2mill per year annual income)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...n-every-state/

but I'm surprised that it's not the case.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:19 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,883,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
I find it fascinating that some people who might not be affected by this taking the position that they don't want to be taxed.

I honestly thought it would take much more income to be in the top 1% (ie $2mill per year annual income)

In addition tax code doesn't take into account cost of living. NYC income will be higher than other areas, but so is the expenses to live a normal standard of living. NY already has the highest tax burden in the country. There is city, state, federal, property, sales, and utility taxes that I am aware of. At some point if I breathe in NY I might get taxed on it.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:23 PM

106,735 posts, read 108,937,910 times
when you consider my buddy's 40k pension from the sanitation dept is more then 1 million can generate today a million ain't much if you have to live on it.

in fact out of that 40k 1 million can generate a couple can expect about 10k after tax dollars just to go to health insurance costs .

Old 03-21-2016, 12:50 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,567,299 times
Ah state and city pensions...

Do you know the NYC Schools chancellor, Ms. Farina, gets a $260,000 pension? And she came back to work out of retirement and gets about a $250,000 salary (and still draws her pension). That's a good retirement plan.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:32 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,048,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
One person writing an extra check really doesn't impact the system. Clearly they are looking towards something other than your simply solution
Yes, they are looking to form a mob of thieves and force others to pay even more than they already are. Typical collectivist slobs.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:39 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,326,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
The word "millionaires" probably isn't the most helpful descriptor. They propose increasing the tax rate on those making over $665k a year.
Anyone who is making $665,000 per year is going to be in the millionaire category in short order. If they're not paying taxes, or putting their money in savings, then they must be conspicuously spending. And that's OK when some people who work just as many hours a day can't afford food and others can't send their kids to college?

It never ceases to amaze me when people who are NOT top earners are so worried when the richest among us are asked to pay a fairer share of taxes. Do they actually think that they WILL be rich some day and want the system still to be game-able when they get there?

Do they belong to a Love Your Local Millionaire club? Did you feel sorry for Bernie Madoff watching him fleece the rich?

No one has ever been able to explain to me why so many voters in the last presidential election thought it was OK that Mitt Romney was paying a far smaller share of his income in taxes than his secretary was. AND probably hiding a lot of his income in overseas accounts.

Now here we are again. Millionaires willing to pay more and some poorer people saying, "Oh, why? We'll pick up the slack."

Old 03-21-2016, 09:51 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,048,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Anyone who is making $665,000 per year is going to be in the millionaire category in short order. If they're not paying taxes, or putting their money in savings, then they must be conspicuously spending. And that's OK when some people who work just as many hours a day can't afford food and others can't send their kids to college?

It never ceases to amaze me when people who are NOT top earners are so worried when the richest among us are asked to pay a fairer share of taxes. Do they actually think that they WILL be rich some day and want the system still to be game-able when they get there?

Do they belong to a Love Your Local Millionaire club? Did you feel sorry for Bernie Madoff watching him fleece the rich?

No one has ever been able to explain to me why so many voters in the last presidential election thought it was OK that Mitt Romney was paying a far smaller share of his income in taxes than his secretary was. AND probably hiding a lot of his income in overseas accounts.

Now here we are again. Millionaires willing to pay more and some poorer people saying, "Oh, why? We'll pick up the slack."

Because morality matters and being philosophically consistent is vital to living a proper life. And an honest and proper person realizes that stealing someone's property because you need it is wrong, and it doesn't matter who is doing the stealing or who they are stealing from.

And yes, it is perfectly OK and morally correct and absolutely just and fine that one person has a lot of money and can fritter it away in Nordstroms while someone else is stepping up today to Minute Rice from the normal Ramen Noodles.

Your income and your life are your business and your business alone. It is monstrous to think that we are all equal and should all be stuck with the same income because some envious mediocrity wants it that way and has joined a mob to make it happen with the use of violence (police power of the state). MONSTROUS.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:04 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,223,538 times
Judging from the names on the list, it's those with tens or hundreds of millions figuring a way to use taxes to keep the mere millionaires below them down. New York State's problems, like those of most state governments, are too much spending in the wrong places, not too little revenue. Give them more revenue and they'll just spend even more in the wrong places and demand more.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:31 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,463,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post

Strange, as I thought it would be less.

But annual income does not translate necessarily into assets.....thank goodness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics