Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 06:15 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Sure about that

The median home value in Dallas is $137,000. Dallas home values have gone up 16.0% over the past year and Zillow predicts they will rise 6.3% within the next year. Foreclosures will be a factor impacting home values in the next several years. In Dallas 3.7 homes are foreclosed (per 10,000).
That's a $500/month mortgage payment with a low down payment FHA loan. Anyone with a $10.00/hour service sector job and a decent credit rating can handle that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 09:49 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
World GDP 78 Trillion.
United States GDP 17.4 trillion.

22% of the world's economy

World population 7.3 billion.
United States population 319 million.

4% of the world's population.

Two measures of health are widely used in economic history: life expectancy at birth (or average length of life) and average height, which measures nutritional conditions during the growing years.

In 1850 the life expectancy of an American was 38.3 years.
In 1998, the life expectancy of an American was 76.7 years.

The average height of an American man is up more than 2 inches during that time frame.
Quoting GDP is a poor way of measuring the strength of the economy in a Nation where 1% owns most of the wealth.....

This is exactly why everybody is so confused in economics conversations right now. All of the leading indicators are saying the economy is doing great yet the average American family is on food stamps and has zero savings.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:59 AM

24 posts, read 28,309 times
I think the Presidential election will cause a huge increase in prices in stores and cause a decrease in the housing market, no matter who is elected. I have been downsizing and thinking less is more. I am saving all I can and being more self sufficient. I don't see things getting better as no one agrees to anything in the House and Congress. The deficit is rising, and unemployment is not lowering, as more people are applying for Government aid. Social Security didn't get a cost of living raise, because less people are paying into it. In four years I believe we will be near depression.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:04 AM

Housing will definitely either remain flat against inflation or will decrease OR will convert to investor owned and be rented out at levels never before seen. Millennials are strapped for cash from student loans and everybody will be seeing costs of healthcare/insurance being raised and passed on to the employee from employer. All of this means less $ to bid on housing. Boomers need to downsize and dump housing but the cash wont be there to get asking price. Either boomers will eat the difference or investors will buy up housing and rent out. Policy of course could change this so you never know. Then again we could have WW3 and no ones economic model will be correct due to too many variables.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:41 AM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times
some millennials are doing just great . i know our kids are at levels of pay early on in their careers that i retired at after 40 years .

all our kids paid off their loans at this point . but they were not foolish enough to spend a small fortune living out of state to go to a college .

even the 125k for law school was paid off and was a local school

Old 03-28-2016, 10:42 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,596,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Quoting GDP is a poor way of measuring the strength of the economy in a Nation where 1% owns most of the wealth.....
Actually .01%.

We rank very low for median wealth:

But median income isn't too bad. Ranked 6th in the world: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_household_income

Old 03-28-2016, 10:44 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
some millennials are doing just great . i know our kids are at levels of pay early on in their careers that i retired at after 40 years .

all our kids paid off their loans at this point . but they were not foolish enough to spend a small fortune living out of state to go to a college .

even the 125k for law school was paid off and was a local school
You and your stories mathjak

I'd like to have a cold beer with you one day

Old 03-28-2016, 10:49 AM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times
i hate to let facts get in the way of everyon'es sky is falling story but there are folks out their who take control of things in their lives and make things happen . those folks are generally doing just fine .

Old 03-28-2016, 10:56 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,596,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Housing will definitely either remain flat against inflation or will decrease OR will convert to investor owned and be rented out at levels never before seen.
I think you've forgotten that interest rates are super low. Buying is cheaper than renting in many areas, even with no appreciation. Some areas may be in for a correction, but most will see appreciation in the near term.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
I think you've forgotten that interest rates are super low. Buying is cheaper than renting in many areas, even with no appreciation. Some areas may be in for a correction, but most will see appreciation in the near term.
Thats where we would need policy changes. The current mortgage model doesnt look at whether owning is cheaper than renting or what the applicant is paying in rent, it looks at how much they have in debt. If applicants are buried in debt, they will be...and ARE being declined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics