Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2016, 06:02 PM

19,084 posts, read 27,661,661 times

Advertisements

Crazy. I went to Sears this morning to buy a piece of rubber for my mower, called "latch". Holds piece of plastic to mower deck. About 4 inches long with a small metal hook to it.
This piece:

http://www.thepartsbiz.com/assets/images/160793_x2.png

Mower is quite old, part was $5.21, so I said to clerk - hey, check if it's really that expensive, maybe I'll buy two.
She does her thing on computer, and chuckles. Says - you better buy it at this prices, as it just went up to $12.71. Because we didn't update it (it was right after they opened) you can still have it for old price.

That's over 200% price jump overnight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 08:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,351,757 times
The Chinese workers must be revolting and demanding $15/hour.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:35 PM

6,780 posts, read 5,501,234 times
DEad of winter doesn't sell mowers, at least not in the Northern half of the country.

It IS now coming into summer, so MAYBE the price jump is in anticipation of the summer rush to get a part known to fail.

JUst a thought...but summer prices here go up all the time.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:48 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,152,733 times
That's nothing. When I had my MINI Cooper S they released a TSB about adding extra rubber bumpers to the rear hatch. This small piece of rubber was $23.00 a piece at the good guy discount. How small was it? It was about the size of a pinky tip, just a piece of rubber. Yes I searched else where online but $23 was the going rate. You needed two of them.

I was so glad to see that car go.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:44 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,783,255 times
One reason that a lot of odd ball things with few sales, have a high price is due to the fact that to stock them, and wait for sales that may take a year or two to sell them, and they are low price, is the cost to stock, and maintain them, space that is used for those items that could be used for other purposes that would be more profitable. This is taken into consideration when pricing items. The wholesaler that furnishes them to the store has the same problem. Things that sell rapidly and give you turn over on your money, have a lot lower sales price than items you have to hold for months or years.

And the shipment of that rubber fastener may have been the last one from an older shipment, and the new shipment took a big jump in price for one reason or another. Probably everyone in the supply chain had raised the price to make it worthwhile to even carry the item due to slow sales. Every time the price went up along the supply chain, the final in the chain the retail store had to raise accordingly. Items like that have to go through many hands before it reaches the consumer. And each is going to use a higher price markup, to compensate for carrying the item for you to buy. If it did not have enough profit to reward the retailer and others in the supply chain on small slow moving items, they simply would not carry the item. Simple as that.

Old 03-26-2016, 04:31 AM

106,831 posts, read 109,092,448 times
exactly . when i was an electrical wholesaler we had a tiered pricing system . slow moving items fetched a premium price . we have it , they need it, without delay .

there is a price to pay for that item as well as costs for us carrying it without much turnover ..

the longer the delay to get that part the higher the price if we had it .

Old 03-26-2016, 04:40 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,564,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The Chinese workers must be revolting and demanding $15/hour.
I think this is the reason

Chinese workers are now making probably more than their American counterparts.

Minimum wage is like $12 an hour.

Old 03-26-2016, 04:43 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,442,588 times
"Mower is quite old"

Planned obsolescence.

It's too costly to support old mowers and their parts. So, you will either continue to upgrade to the newest modal, or you will pay a premium to buy an increasingly dwindling supply. For a manufacturer to make a low quantity of an old part it becomes more expensive to produce on a per-unit-basis (less units to spread fixed costs over). Also, the opportunity cost of the shelf space at the store, their production time, ect.

It's cost-volume-profit analysis

Last edited by Thatsright19; 03-26-2016 at 04:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics