Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 05:24 PM

26,196 posts, read 21,615,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Until the woman leaves you because she's bored and takes half your money.
Depends on your preparing, with the right partner 1/2 of everything is more than 100% of what I'd have on my alone the whole way at least in my case

Old 11-10-2016, 05:30 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,024,196 times
Quote:
Might be a bit late for that now, and I'm frankly not boring enough to be worried about it. And if not me, then surely the devoted kitty cats would be enough to keep her around. Meanwhile, we've always had equal access to the war chest, no matter where the money was coming from. But she's likely earned about half of it over the years anyway.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:34 PM

24,560 posts, read 18,299,405 times
Quote:
Isn't that why dumb hipster metrosexual techies who got really lucky with their private start up stock pay 1 million dollars + for a 3 bedroom 1 bath 1200 square foot ranch home in a subdivision that was built for the middle class on the SF Bay Area peninsula? Benefits that can't be assigned a monetary value??
They're more likely to be Indian or Chinese. Not metrosexuals. ...and it's not luck. The region attracts the best talent in the world. That talent creates a lot of successes. It's why California has 10x the venture capital investment of the next two states... Massachusetts and New York.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:04 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,624,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yes, correct. Although if you're single you can live in a studio, share an apartment, or rent a room.

By the way, I don't like the use of your term "need to". Some people might need to. But I like the idea of people intentionally living in less space than they can afford, so they can save and have options for the future. Keeping your housing costs low, especially when you don't have kids, is one of the best ways to do that.
People can do whatever they want, but I'm single and I like living in a house. I never lived in a one bedroom apartment while single and I definitely wouldn't do it if I were married.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:06 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,727,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
They're more likely to be Indian or Chinese. Not metrosexuals. ...and it's not luck. The region attracts the best talent in the world. That talent creates a lot of successes. It's why California has 10x the venture capital investment of the next two states... Massachusetts and New York.
Houses are 12x the median household income

Old 11-10-2016, 08:17 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,730,041 times
Young people who work and stay single will pay more taxes as a % of income than a working married couple with kids would pay.

For young people that rent and don't own anything you have a harder time getting credit and virtually no equity. A lot of young people aren't even putting money away in 401k.

In another 30-40 yrs when millennials retire they're gonna need double the amount of SS in order to get them through retirement.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:52 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,115,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Nonsense. Yes, top 5% is largely married dual income, but PLENTY of people "get there on one income"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You are completely ignoring the data and simply making things up.

Only 6% of wage earners max out Social Security. That's an income in excess of $118,500. That fact is published by the Social Security Administration and they write that 6% has remained fairly constant since the mid-1980's.

Citation from the SSA (see chart #2 which is flat at around 6% since 1983):
https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/poli...pb2011-02.html

Top-5% household income is about $190K in 2016. About half of all 5%ers get there because they're in dual income households. There simply aren't that many individuals earning more than $190K. It's about 2 1/2% if you look at Medicare tax data which tracks individuals rather than IRS data which tracks the AGI of households with joint returns.
So, all that to say:

Yes, top 5% is largely married dual income, but PLENTY of people "get there on one income"!

And my assertion of "plenty" you just defined as "about half"

So how exactly am I "making things up" when we are now both saying "about half" of the top 5% is single income households??

See? Its nonsense to say that you can't "get there on one income"

Old 11-11-2016, 03:15 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,178,096 times
I take strong exception to the blanket statement that all married people are better off than all single people financially

I myself am happily single. And, I am unequivocally & unquestionably better off financially than if I had ever gotten married. The women that I was in LTR's with were, without exception, broke & underemployed. They would have brought nothing financially to the table in a marriage. Plus, if I had gotten married to any of them I would have definitely gotten divorced, and thereby worse off financially than I am now.

Divorces & divorce lawyers can be extremely costly. I know people whose lives have been ruined irrevocably for an expensive divorce.

Are there some people that are better off married than single?! Sure - if you both have good jobs, then you have 2 paychecks coming on. But not everyone is in that situation.

And, the 2 paycheck couple will not necessarily stay that way. If you are dependent on 2 paychecks & then get divorced, you'll only have 1 coming in and your standard of living will obviously go down.

Last edited by toosie; 11-11-2016 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: TOS - Deleted profanity and rudeness

Old 11-11-2016, 06:08 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,928,808 times
Quote:
Rich and successful men know this. That's why they live playboy lifestyles. Of course most do get married/divorced. But the difference between him and a average working stiff is that the divorce costs are pocket change rather than becoming financially ruined for life like the working stiff.

Last edited by s1alker; 11-11-2016 at 06:16 AM..

Old 11-11-2016, 07:19 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,604,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Young people who work and stay single will pay more taxes as a % of income than a working married couple with kids would pay.

For young people that rent and don't own anything you have a harder time getting credit and virtually no equity. A lot of young people aren't even putting money away in 401k.

In another 30-40 yrs when millennials retire they're gonna need double the amount of SS in order to get them through retirement.
Well, if you rent and don't invest on the side, that's your problem, but there is absolutely no reason to think housing is the only possible way to build a nest egg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics