Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 01:49 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times

Advertisements

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/artic...gher-education

Title of the article: Pensions Are Killing Higher Education

State government tax revenues now exceed pre-recession levels and spending in almost every budget category has grown since 2008. But not Higher Education, where states are still cutting back.

In a new report, we show just how far higher education has dropped down states' priority lists. Spending on hospitals, policing and public welfare are all up by at least 10 percent. The most notable increases are on public employee pensions, which grew the fastest in terms of total liabilities and expenditures. In short, pensions are crowding out higher education.

Something's gotta give to fund the pension increases -- the only question is what gets cut.

Quote:
"It is easier -- and more politically expedient -- to cut higher education than it is to cut other areas."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 01:55 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
that's like saying having clean water is killing higher education...

the money for those things are unrelated outside of being tax funded, if you have an issue with pensions, then that's one issue. if you have an issue with higher education funding, that's separate. You can't say one is being funded in place of another.

I can always cut pensions, and use the tax money to build parking lots. What does higher education have to do with it? nothing

all I see from author is jealousy that he wasn't smart enough to work in a job that provides a pension/tuition assistance and now he wants other people to be miserable like him

edit: maybe he prefers it if a company ran daily life? Samsung style in s korea?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grlEzGyAGlU

Old 06-02-2017, 07:30 PM

547 posts, read 506,942 times
I have never understood why corporations don't foot the bill for college education. They are the likely recipients of college educated workers yet place the funding burden on families.
America EFF yea.

Old 06-03-2017, 02:54 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post

the money for those things are unrelated outside of being tax funded, if you have an issue with pensions, then that's one issue. if you have an issue with higher education funding, that's separate. You can't say one is being funded in place of another.

I can always cut pensions, and use the tax money to build parking lots. What does higher education have to do with it? nothing

all I see from author is jealousy that he wasn't smart enough to work in a job that provides a pension/tuition assistance and now he wants other people to be miserable like him
I work in the public sector and I assure you that the cost of pensions has skyrocketed to the point that it definitely is crowding out services. I'm sure it's the same for higher education as it is for any other government job. My employer now puts in over 66% of my salary just toward the pension and I put in over 15%....and the future liability is still only 56% funded--and this is after they reformed the pension plan several years ago. Where I work, the pensions consume 26% of the city's revenue. How can that not crowd out other services?

Old 06-03-2017, 06:27 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
https://www.usnews.com/opinion/artic...gher-education

Title of the article: Pensions Are Killing Higher Education

State government tax revenues now exceed pre-recession levels and spending in almost every budget category has grown since 2008. But not Higher Education, where states are still cutting back.

In a new report, we show just how far higher education has dropped down states' priority lists. Spending on hospitals, policing and public welfare are all up by at least 10 percent. The most notable increases are on public employee pensions, which grew the fastest in terms of total liabilities and expenditures. In short, pensions are crowding out higher education.

Something's gotta give to fund the pension increases
-- the only question is what gets cut.

Public employee unions = pensions cannot be cut = FAIL

Old 06-03-2017, 06:32 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post

edit: maybe he prefers it if a company ran daily life? Samsung style in s korea?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grlEzGyAGlU

I regard public employee pensions a lot like interest on government debt. It's an obligation that takes money off the top. If there's not enough money left for services after pension spending, services must be cut. It is VERY much that pensions are funded in place of any lower priority for which there are insufficient funds left.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:25 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,020,173 times
If there's just not enough money to go around here, perhaps it's actually a revenue question?

Old 06-03-2017, 07:30 AM

1,204 posts, read 873,061 times
ssssshhhhh

In all honestly tho, I do believe that there are changes that need to be addressed in the funding or even to the providing. But, the present 401k style is also in need of major adjustment.

This problem is just an extension of the same issues that abound in healthcare insurance--- those that get theirs(health, pension, 401k etc) from a larger employer have a tremendous cost advantage over the small employer, or those who provide it for themselves.

The 401k provided by the small business I worked for, had a 1.5% per year management fee even before fund costs etc. But since that 1.5% went to John Hancock that was fine, screw the employee who paid the fee with lower returns and generally crappy funds.

Last edited by JIMANDTHOM; 06-03-2017 at 07:40 AM..

Old 06-03-2017, 08:24 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
It's time to axe the pensions and replace them with a 401k type of account like the private sector has been doing for awhile now. I have heard of public pensions paying some workers more than what their salary was. No wonder everyone wants a government job.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:49 AM

365 posts, read 258,332 times
This reminds me of the big shot at a certain bank, who when asked why the so many customers had ended up with accounts and investments they never wanted blamed it on the low level employees. All of the policies, procedures etc. that were instituted that forced the employees to 'produce' or be fired didn't matter. It was just those bad employees.

Same here.

Financial problems?

It must the fault of those greedy employees! We, the people who ran the place for decades can't possibly be at fault. The people who had the power to make decisions and change things could not possibly have erred. So now we have no choice but to take away the compensation we agreed on in order to save the institution from these bad employees.

Yea. Right.

The war on the working class continues.

Last edited by Rombus; 06-03-2017 at 10:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics