Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 09:46 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
300 square foot and internet? Ever try a library? Or anywhere on a university campus? Or at a fricken Starbucks? Hell you could get a credit card with 18 months no interest to afford that...
Numerous times, I've personally offered to pay him to relocate.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:54 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
So then you acknowledge that it is more accurate to say "A rising tide lifts all RENTS"?
Which is what you should of initially stated as it was the point you wanted to make.

What's your point man? Yes a rising economy raises some boats. Some hit rocks others sink. It's nobody's job but yours to keep your boat afloat. So you can bail water, fix the leaks and float up with the rest of us.

But you rather sit here sinking screaming it's someone else's fault. See the thing that you either refuse to acknowledge or simply can't comprehend is that with a few exceptions everyone's boat is leaking. We all have to bail water and seal up holes. Some are just more successful than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What opportunity is opened up for an old retired person with no assets and no discretionary income?
There are some instances where the loss or the lack of retirement/assets/discretionary income are not directly correlated to a persons choices in life. We all make choices that can and will have a positive or negative impact on our future

Old 08-05-2017, 07:58 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
In the 50s boats would float even with holes because of how cheap housing was.

Poor people have been around since we as humans started societies. Not everyone had a house in the 50s. Sure cheap housing would actually boost the economy more as it would create discretionary spending or investing opportunities. But that's not the case.

You can have cheap housing. It just won't be in areas that are in high demand.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:28 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
If you don't think the rising tide lifts all boats, go and look at what it is like to live in poverty in a poor country.

The poor in the USA live pretty darn well compared to the poor in the rest of the world. They have food and clothing and government paid housing. Even the homeless are never thin. They have money for booze, drugs, and cigarettes. They all have shoes.

Even our resident moaner has a place to live and food to eat. He has enough money to pay rent and a for a storage unit. The taxpayers with a better income are giving him food stamps.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:27 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,018,697 times
Only the worst off person in the world actually has anything to complain about. I've been told that over and over again by social pikers and skinflints.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:48 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
You're making excuses based off of things that happened in the carter years? That's like 40 years ago....

If two thirds of your classmates moved, why didn't you? You had a 5 year shelf life for your degree and never did anything to use it?

300 square foot and internet? Ever try a library? Or anywhere on a university campus? Or at a fricken Starbucks? Hell you could get a credit card with 18 months no interest to afford that...

Why didn't I move? No money. My income actually declined when I graduated because graduation disqualified me from my on-campus student janitor job - I traded work hours at a higher wage for work hours at minimum wage.

Libraries have internet content restrictions which mean I can't do my online selling at a library. (I guess I could do it on Craigslist but that would not be profitable.) And no I can't get a credit card because my credit was pretty much permanently trashed 15 years ago when a health collapse put me in hospital and unable to work for an extended stay.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If you don't think the rising tide lifts all boats, go and look at what it is like to live in poverty in a poor country.

The poor in the USA live pretty darn well compared to the poor in the rest of the world. They have food and clothing and government paid housing. Even the homeless are never thin. They have money for booze, drugs, and cigarettes. They all have shoes.

Even our resident moaner has a place to live and food to eat. He has enough money to pay rent and a for a storage unit. The taxpayers with a better income are giving him food stamps.

The money homeless people get from panhandling is spent on booze, drugs, and cigarettes - because they know that they can always get free food.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
most people who work for someone are on fixed incomes .

i never understood the use of that term . if anything retirees who diversify in to stocks ,bonds ,real estate ,etc have variable income .

in fact even social security has increases with the movement of the cpi, something those working are not guaranteed to get .

Hmmm, there was no increase in what, 2015 and 2016? When rents in my area were going up 15% a year? e.g. estimated 15% rent increases between Aug 2014 and Aug 2015 according to a real estate tracking firm called Axiometrics. Rooms that rented for $400 in 2014 are going for $600+ today.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:24 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
no rent increases for millions here in nyc 2 years in a row . with 1/2 of all nyc rentals stabilized that is a load of people who saw no increases . that is why the cpi is not anyone's personal cost of living indicator .

Old 08-05-2017, 12:26 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
...What's your point man? Yes a rising economy raises some boats. Some hit rocks others sink. It's nobody's job but yours to keep your boat afloat. So you can bail water, fix the leaks and float up with the rest of us.
When I see the phrase "A Rising Tide Lifts All Boats" used it is used in the context that everyone will benefit from increased wages.

If wages go up and you need to go find another source of income to stay afloat, then obviously you did not benefit from the wages going up.

Increasing Minimum-Wage does not help people on SSDI, or on SS, or government pensions. Their $900/month will stay at $900/month regardless of how high the Minimum-Wage climbs.

Does increasing the MW help people who on are taking distributions from their 401 [k]s, IRAs, or mutuals? That is a far more complicated formula.

Quote:
... with a few exceptions everyone's boat is leaking. We all have to bail water and seal up holes. Some are just more successful
Which again contradicts the paradigm of "A Rising Tide Lifts All Boats".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics