Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 12:46 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,775,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timincal View Post
I would be surprised if it wasn't in the Boston area. Seattle is a liberal city as is Boston and also a seaport as is Seattle. To attract the right employees or to have present ones relocate it would be in his best interest to locate another HQ in an area that affords the same comfort and entertainment as Seattle does..recreational wise. Bike riding, sailing, climbing, is as easily accessible in Boston as it is in Seattle. Plus Boston has numerous Ivy league schools to attract recent graduates.
I do agree with this. The only thing is real estate in Boston is already pretty expensive and parking can be such a b****.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:27 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,105,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timincal View Post
I would be surprised if it wasn't in the Boston area. Seattle is a liberal city as is Boston and also a seaport as is Seattle. To attract the right employees or to have present ones relocate it would be in his best interest to locate another HQ in an area that affords the same comfort and entertainment as Seattle does..recreational wise. Bike riding, sailing, climbing, is as easily accessible in Boston as it is in Seattle. Plus Boston has numerous Ivy league schools to attract recent graduates.
Yes, but for only eight months a year in the Boston area.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:42 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
couple of things.

Amazon is not moving, some seem to think that is what was said.

Amazon will likely want to move to a no income tax state and likely want excellent direct flights to seattle.

both the weather and political climate must be good enough and at least better than seattle.

cost of housing must be low enough to make it easy to keep wages the same or lower.

and of course skilled labor must desire to live there more than anything thing. getting and keeping skilled labor is the most important part by far. canada is not likely too cold or too costly.

i would not be suprised if they only half do it, they most likely want to put Seattle's governing bodies back in their place. Many in Seattle have lost their minds and think they "deserve" and have a "right" to these great corps that setup there..

Old 09-09-2017, 02:48 PM

3,501 posts, read 2,664,329 times
I would think north Texas. Many national HQ’s already in the Plano area, such as Toyota, JC Penney, Frito-lay and many other Insurance and Financial corporations. Educated work force, and excellent schools and of course open land to the north. Prices are still reasonable compared to the east or west coast. It will not be Plano, we are already saturated and out of land.

Old 09-09-2017, 03:03 PM

524 posts, read 574,821 times
I think it will be the south east somewhere. North Carolina or further south.

Old 09-09-2017, 03:59 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times
Glad for the inputs on my quick read misses. Some inputs:

Texas is a big leader in buying jobs. They love to give incentives to attract jobs to the area and U of T can provide quality in the Dallas-Austin region.

Some of the best software schools are located in lower cost areas that would like to be better utilized. Des Moines, IA, Milwaukee, WI and Miami come to mind.

Detroit sits between some great schools and has the aged infrastructure from the Motor City and has direct flights to Seattle. It's also in the Eastern Time Zone and large swaths of city could be had for nothing. If huge nearly abandoned warehouses could be converted into giant server holding areas, it may be the pick. Las Vegas is also picking up a lot of activity as a big data infrastructure home.

I just see these guys as wanting to corner a market somewhere where they aren't going to have to pay premium for employees to start or constantly compete for top talent. That would rule out California, NYC, Boston...sorry, I could be wrong...but Facebook's already in big in Boston.

Toronto is the only foreign city with a shot...

Old 09-09-2017, 04:20 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post

Unless they want to establish a European Headquarters.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:03 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Grand Rapids, MI has declared themselves in the race. Quite the long shot, but they've had some success lately grabbing tech jobs from higher profile locations, and can make a good case for low cost of living/high quality of life. (If a company is already based in Seattle, they're not scared off by gloomy West Michigan winters.)

Grand Rapids will try to land Amazon's 2nd HQ | MLive.com

Airline links are easy to fix based on demand for routes from local large business entities.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:54 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,245,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Wherever it is, it's likely been decided already. This is a big gas game to low-ball the cities into concessions. It's going to city x.....but if you're really going to give me $8B...maybe I'll play....or maybe just tell the target city this is what they need to match.

With those employee comp numbers, they're not looking for distribution (as those facilities pay nothing) but need a larger talent pool for engineering. They'll need to be nearby schools that would transfer to the target and feed them. As the city has to be above 1,000,000 people, we've got a short list (from largest to smallest).

Chicago - The city's too broke to realistically make an offer, which is too bad. It could draw a lot of talent from Michigan and Indiana to accentuate the great schools there. It's my #2.
Every city WILL bend over backwards to provide ... (or better) some Corporate welfare. Free taxes LOL. With Chicago so broke ruling it out (as you say) ..... apparently Corporate AMERICA and investors building skyscrapers in the city's core ...... did not get the memo not worth building there .

As numerous construction jobs wrap-up, the number of active Chicago projects continues to grow.
Chicago's 54 high-rises currently under construction in pictures.

https://chicago.curbed.com/maps/chic...nstruction-map

$1B Vista Tower developer plans four more Chicago high-rises | Construction Dive

Old 09-09-2017, 06:07 PM

510 posts, read 610,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77
Montreal? Excellent universities and talent pool, better public transit than any city in the US except New York, efficient international airport, known for giving big tax breaks to attract tech companies, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics