Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2017, 06:03 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times

Advertisements

https://www.cbia.com/news/hr-safety/...overtime-rule/

Doubling it would destroy millions of jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 06:25 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
minimum wage is an economic issue, to me it falls under the jurisdiction of congress and not the president

changing it went beyond his powers of enforcing the law

Old 09-14-2017, 06:29 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,551,138 times
This isn't actually about the minimum wage.

It's about taking low level employees ($23K is not a high wage, by any means.. works out to less than $12/hour) and declaring them "salaried" to get out of paying overtime.

This rule would have raised the amount at which that could be done.

Which yes, means companies can save on payroll, and people unlucky enough to be working such jobs can continue to have to work significant hours for very little pay.

However, with unemployment down, perhaps some of these "managers" (because one of the caveats is that they are performing "managerial" duties - like setting a basic schedule) can find real jobs and their cheap employers will be left to search for replacements.

One can hope.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:45 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,457,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

I forget as I recall doubling it would have basically caught it back up to where it was 30 years ago with inflation? something like that. The number is too low and I know a number of companies that cheat on this to get out of overtime. The state recently went into one and forced them to switch 8 employees to hourly and pay them each several grand in back wages.
Raising the dollar amount and eliminating the complexity of the regulation would seem to be easier.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:02 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
These rules infringe on a business's right to manage their organization. Overtime rules for hourly workers should not be extended without consideration of job duties and responsibilities. A federal guideline may be appropriate but clearly administration of wage policies is highly dependant on local issues and rules mandating specific policies cannot be made on a national level without unproductive distortions.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:09 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I don't think doubling it will cost a lot of jobs, more likely cuts in hours. The employers that hire in fast food and retail will get around this by hiring a few more supervisors/managers to avoid paying them overtime, and may reduce the hours of some workers to balance the books. They are not likely to pay their managers double to meet exempt requirements, since they are only getting $1-2 an hour more than the people they supervise now.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:29 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,551,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I don't think doubling it will cost a lot of jobs, more likely cuts in hours. The employers that hire in fast food and retail will get around this by hiring a few more supervisors/managers to avoid paying them overtime, and may reduce the hours of some workers to balance the books. They are not likely to pay their managers double to meet exempt requirements, since they are only getting $1-2 an hour more than the people they supervise now.
That's the whole point. They won't pay them overtime, because they won't have to - because they're "managers" at $23,000 a year.

Who wants that awful job?

Old 09-16-2017, 01:21 AM

482 posts, read 399,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

I was also concerned about the change's potential effect on jobs. I do believe the salary threshold for overtime exemption needs to be increased, but I would have suggested a more gradual implementation (gradual meaning a minimum of several years, potentially up to a decade or more).

If I'm not mistaken, the original directive from the Obama administration was issued May 2016 and scheduled to go into effect December 2016. Imagine you're a large employer and you've been told the threshold for overtime exemption has been doubled, and you have just seven months to apply it to the potentially thousands of currently-exempt employees you may have nationwide. I didn't think that was a reasonable amount of time for employers to adjust, and very likely would have resulted in layoffs, hiring freezes, slashes in products and services provided by the businesses, and/or all the other unpleasant things that happen when employers get hit with left-field regulatory news that presents an immediate threat to their bottom line.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:58 AM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
I was also concerned about the change's potential effect on jobs. I do believe the salary threshold for overtime exemption needs to be increased, but I would have suggested a more gradual implementation (gradual meaning a minimum of several years, potentially up to a decade or more).

If I'm not mistaken, the original directive from the Obama administration was issued May 2016 and scheduled to go into effect December 2016. Imagine you're a large employer and you've been told the threshold for overtime exemption has been doubled, and you have just seven months to apply it to the potentially thousands of currently-exempt employees you may have nationwide. I didn't think that was a reasonable amount of time for employers to adjust, and very likely would have resulted in layoffs, hiring freezes, slashes in products and services provided by the businesses, and/or all the other unpleasant things that happen when employers get hit with left-field regulatory news that presents an immediate threat to their bottom line.
Correct. Just because Saul Alinsky signs off on it does not make it sane government regulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics