Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 07:31 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_is_here View Post
I think perhaps I'm confusing alimony with spousal support. I do not believe that my state has any sort of code requiring spousal support, therefore we're not "an alimony" state.
It's the same thing. Look on your 1040, alimony is right there.

Alimony you pay is deductible, alimony you receive is taxable. It's a real thing in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 09:10 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,781,706 times
From what I've sadly seen among my friends, alimony tends to be awarded in the event that one partner sacrificed career and earning potential so the other could advance - usually mutually agreed upon for the good of the family. Upon the divorce, the partner who made the sacrifices faces the prospect of trying a build a career that they could have been developing for years - there is lost income, advancement opportunities, and retirement that they will never be able to make up. Someone that never had that potential, or has kept their career (or even any career), would have a harder time asking for alimony, but someone that did may have a case.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:26 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
So basically the spouse who for years covered the sahs by providing the mortgage,health insurance,vacations,car,medical,food,utilities ,taxes,and all child expenses...is held to cover this spouse after the marriage is dissolved. Only in America ..
I do believe it's not given often to short term marriages .
The one seeking such provisions does get to go after 1/2 the ira/401k...
I am not married nor wish to have this monkey law involved in my livelihood. I feel it's an antiquated provision ...originated by an old system where women particularly could not own land or sustain a career as it was socially frowned upon...

Old 09-25-2017, 11:53 AM

768 posts, read 718,180 times
I was awarded alimony in California for as long as I live. We were married 25 years & made this agreement together.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:03 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
alimony is up to the judge in most states unless you can agree on your own . . . child support is mandatory in most states .
Child support is federally mandated.

Alimony is alive and well. My girlfriend gets it for life and she was only married ten years, no kids.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:34 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Child support is federally mandated.

Alimony is alive and well. My girlfriend gets it for life and she was only married ten years, no kids.
Child support is not federally mandated. I was divorced in a state court. The state court set my child support at the amount agreed to by myself and my then wife. The feds had nothing to do with it. It was all done under Alaska law.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:37 PM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
I was awarded alimony in California for as long as I live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
My girlfriend gets it for life....
What if the person paying the alimony dies? does the alimony stop?

Old 09-25-2017, 03:08 PM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
What if the person paying the alimony dies? does the alimony stop?
A.K.A. killing the goose that lays the golden eggs

Old 09-25-2017, 03:42 PM
ERH

1,699 posts, read 2,528,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
So basically the spouse who for years covered the sahs by providing the mortgage,health insurance,vacations,car,medical,food,utilities ,taxes,and all child expenses...is held to cover this spouse after the marriage is dissolved. Only in America
Alimony is also awarded in cases (some, not all, I would presume) in which the spouse is severely ill for many years, and is medically disabled and cannot work to support themselves. I do not know if alimony is reduced to compensate for disability pay received from the government.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:51 PM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
A.K.A. killing the goose that lays the golden eggs
My question had nothing to do about the alimony receiver killing the person paying the alimony. But if someone is awarded "alimony for life" and the person paying the alimony dies (illness, car accident, old age, whatever); does the alimony just stop?

I ask because "alimony for life" sounds like the judge assumes the person getting the alimony doesn't have the means to ever really support themselves. (Short term alimony assumes they can start a new life and support themselves.) So, in my scenario, if they don't have a means of supporting themselves, what happens when the payer dies and the money (supposedly) stops?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics