Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 03:52 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,817 times

Advertisements

This is happing all over the place. So think its time to have good value renters to fight back?
San Francisco tenants fight back after landlord raises rent by $4,800 a month

Quote:
If you get a new landlord, be sure to review the new terms of your rental agreement. Or, if you have enough saved, you could buy a home and/or become a landlord yourself.
If you stop jacking up rent, then I can save..

But this landlord in the link wants to bank 2 profit.. right off the bat, and refuse to get out of his mothers house.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:08 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
High rents serve multiple purposes. Obviously they line the pockets of landlords today, but they ensure windfall profit down the road at time of sale, plus by impoverishing renters, landlords ensure a long-term captive market of rent serfs unable to escape the rental market.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:13 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,446,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
High rents serve multiple purposes. Obviously they line the pockets of landlords today, but they ensure windfall profit down the road at time of sale, plus by impoverishing renters, landlords ensure a long-term captive market of rent serfs unable to escape the rental market.
Its why people have to grow some cajones and start rebelling against this crap. Its nothing more than indentured servitude.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:26 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,859,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Its why people have to grow some cajones and start rebelling against this crap. Its nothing more than indentured servitude.
You should definitely fight back, Like get a quality education and find a good job, then buy your own damn house, That will show em!

RR

Old 09-27-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
You should definitely fight back, Like get a quality education and find a good job, then buy your own damn house, That will show em!

RR
easier said then done... I been trying to buy a house, but soooo much red tape and BS that comes with it.

5 years IRS returns. Checked
3% FHA loan saved.. Checked ( till now)
Credit score above 620 Checked
O yea we need to have a 7 year IRS return for FHA to get you that 3% we already approved you for.. GFYour self..
Yep, time to renew rent, and increase it another 100 bucks and unexpected Car break down ( goes the 3%).

So yea lets just keep the prices high to keep us from saving anything. The education excuse is so old, its unbeliveable. Education only gets you so far, its the business that determins if your worth it. Lets pay you 40k a year were rent will take up over half that.. So what does that leave you? O yea and its the only company willing to hire you with zero experiance, but you got that PHD...

Old 09-27-2017, 06:00 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,254,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
easier said then done... I been trying to buy a house, but soooo much red tape and BS that comes with it.

5 years IRS returns. Checked
3% FHA loan saved.. Checked ( till now)
Credit score above 620 Checked
O yea we need to have a 7 year IRS return for FHA to get you that 3% we already approved you for.. GFYour self..
Yep, time to renew rent, and increase it another 100 bucks and unexpected Car break down ( goes the 3%).

So yea lets just keep the prices high to keep us from saving anything. The education excuse is so old, its unbeliveable. Education only gets you so far, its the business that determins if your worth it. Lets pay you 40k a year were rent will take up over half that.. So what does that leave you? O yea and its the only company willing to hire you with zero experiance, but you got that PHD...
You are underestimating what it takes currently to be approved for a loan. It is partly because you likely did not have enough savings and were attempting to borrow to close to your edges.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:26 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,661 times
People can charge whatever they want unless it is rent controlled.

If you don't like it, live somewhere else.

I am all for government making it easier to help boost supply of housing by making it easier to build or building housing for the less fortunate as a temporary place to live to get back on their feet, but absolutely against any rent price controls against private property owners.

I have a family member, no college or trade skill currently, who earns a pretty low wage living. Him and a couple friends, who are in similar situations, got together and bought a house that is in a more rural area. Not nearly as desirable, hence the cheaper prices.

I really respect him because instead of complaining how the world isn't fair, I deserve a house in a desirable area, poor me..... he went out and obtained what he could, with what he had.

He is happy and always has the choice to better himself and move up in the world.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:09 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
People can charge whatever they want unless it is rent controlled.

If you don't like it, live somewhere else.

I am all for government making it easier to help boost supply of housing by making it easier to build or building housing for the less fortunate as a temporary place to live to get back on their feet, but absolutely against any rent price controls against private property owners.

I have a family member, no college or trade skill currently, who earns a pretty low wage living. Him and a couple friends, who are in similar situations, got together and bought a house that is in a more rural area. Not nearly as desirable, hence the cheaper prices.

I really respect him because instead of complaining how the world isn't fair, I deserve a house in a desirable area, poor me..... he went out and obtained what he could, with what he had.

He is happy and always has the choice to better himself and move up in the world.

Homeowners generally do not want any more housing in their neighborhoods, and they especially do not want in their neighborhood any additional housing which is affordable to minimum wage earners. The game is rigged in favor of incumbent homeowners ad the rest of us are doomed.

Homeowners collectively function as an effective cartel, by restricting supply, homeowners get to boost their property values and extract ever higher rents from those unable to buy a home.

People deserve the house they can afford. But people also deserve a free housing market in which developers are free to build more housing if the market will support it, and people should also be free to buy and sell property in increments of mutual agreement.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:11 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,733,506 times
Thank God the Judge in the above article sided with the owner of the property. The owner even gave advance notice far beyond the requirement. Supply and demand can now work freely and more inventory can be put out for someone who was previously locked out.

BTW, I have never heard of 5 years of tax returns being called by a bank to approve a mortgage.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Thank God the Judge in the above article sided with the owner of the property. The owner even gave advance notice far beyond the requirement. Supply and demand can now work freely and more inventory can be put out for someone who was previously locked out.

BTW, I have never heard of 5 years of tax returns being called by a bank to approve a mortgage.
I had some offers, most wanted 2.. I keep least 5 due to being hit last couple years with audits.. Went from 36k to 60k in 2 years and back down to 50k all in 4 years.. so assume it raised some flags.. Working as a contractor for last 8 years puts a target on you.. and got hit with ID theft back in 2000 so that doesnt help.

But for the couple that try to take them to court, was happy with the 1200.. so not sure why the person who they was renting from sold it.? and the new owner to just gouge them because he too lazy to move out mommy house.. and 2k+ profit.. makes the cake even worst.. Communication could been lot better.. Owner could said, im selling the house and the owner might raise your rent.. not just sell it out under them and poof here is your bill... specaily in a market area that is already over priced. One of those areas were rent is higher than person salary doesnt care how much you make..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics