Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 04:56 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You can't afford $500 now, you certainly couldn't afford a purchased home, no matter the cost.
This is the beautiful irony of the the resident min-wage ranter. Demand after demand for this subsidy, that unfairness, how everyone else has it easy, and these changes to zoning laws to suit, but does anyone really believe that a middle aged person who is clearly intelligent and has enough time on their hands to type in 32k+ posts is really going to get ahead if given anything more? 3% less income tax and zoning laws allowing tiny homes is going to magically propel them to success as they suddenly can save for a down payment and manage their finances properly enough to obtain credit?

Nope. They'd just continue to make poor decisions and blame everything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 07:58 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Woah there, you've gone from ranting about 3% being too much of a contribution to our country on APril 15 to demanding people who make very little money have their entire lives subsidized.

They need to improve their skills, put on their big boy pants, and get a real job. If they don't then yes, they should just work until they drop just like people who don't save retirement with higher incomes have to do.

I ask for no subsidy, only for the right to live in a tiny house at a mutually-agreed price and quality. Americans in denial are unwilling to adapt to downward mobility and I want to have that discussion.

Personally I like the 'cubicle hotels' common in Japan.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:10 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I ask for no subsidy, only for the right to live in a tiny house at a mutually-agreed price and quality. Americans in denial are unwilling to adapt to downward mobility and I want to have that discussion.

It's more realistic for you to move to a cheaper area or to increase your income. No developer is going to build tiny houses for poor people.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:15 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Americans in denial are unwilling to adapt to downward mobility and I want to have that discussion.
The discussion is WHERE you move to. Not if you need to.

As to the needs of the Collective (which you too frequently substitute for your own)...
they'll figure out what they need to do far sooner absent dilettantes 'helping' them.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:21 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:

So move to an area where tiny homes are being built. They do exist, just not in the center of cities. You are like every other person who wants to buy a home: You will have to make compromises based on your budget and on location based on what is available in your price range.

As to your statement that Americans are unwilling to adapt to downward mobility, why should people who are not downwardly mobile adapt to the standards you want? Why should builders and developers? Someday we all may have to, but until then people are going to want enjoy the standard of living they work hard for and builders are going to want to make a profit on their projects.

Based on what I've read, in your multitude of posts, you're the one unwilling to adapt. Your answer to any suggestions anyone has made to improve your condition has been "No can't do that" followed by another rant about how the world should adapt to you. Your unwillingness to adapt is why you are where you are today. And why your circumstances will never change.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 01-08-2018 at 07:31 AM..

Old 01-08-2018, 08:17 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Because there is an existing shortage of adequate and affordable housing and many people would rather live overcrowded and/or below code than on the streets. D'OH!
If you see an apartment in squalor as an issue, you should be reporting it.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:54 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,596,333 times
Quote:
You can't be serious?! Those things are basically a coffin. It's a place to *sleep* not a place to live! There is no bathroom or kitchen or even space for anything but a bed.

How is this "better" than a renting a room?

Old 01-08-2018, 11:08 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,596,333 times
Quote:
Americans in denial are unwilling to adapt to downward mobility and I want to have that discussion.
Then why don't you start yet another thread on the topic, instead of spamming every one on this forum?

I'm pretty sure I know a lot more about adapting to downward mobility than you. For 13 years I lived on ~$3k/yr total expenses. I spent zero time whining about it being "hard" or "unfair" or lamenting how the government did not make accommodations just for me. It was easy. The things I thought I needed but really didn't just fell away. It was in fact the best time of my life.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:05 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
So move to an area where tiny homes are being built. They do exist, just not in the center of cities. You are like every other person who wants to buy a home: You will have to make compromises based on your budget and on location based on what is available in your price range.

As to your statement that Americans are unwilling to adapt to downward mobility, why should people who are not downwardly mobile adapt to the standards you want? Why should builders and developers? Someday we all may have to, but until then people are going to want enjoy the standard of living they work hard for and builders are going to want to make a profit on their projects.

Based on what I've read, in your multitude of posts, you're the one unwilling to adapt. Your answer to any suggestions anyone has made to improve your condition has been "No can't do that" followed by another rant about how the world should adapt to you. Your unwillingness to adapt is why you are where you are today. And why your circumstances will never change.
Builders and developers should have the OPTION, and where they do have that option, some are building small. Homeowners are usually unwilling to allow property owners that option. I think it's difficult to argue against economic liberty without sounding like a class warfare protectionist.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:54 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post

Or move to an area where a 1200 square foot house in moderately good condition costs under $40,000. My wife's original home town, for example: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...88_rect/10_zm/

And, yes, they do have jobs there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics