Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2018, 01:41 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,596,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I didn't read the article. But it seems to me most Americans agree that things are not on a good course. But each side thinks it's all (or mostly) the other side's fault for why things are in such a mess.
This concocted divisiveness doesn't happen by accident.

Keeps everyone confused, ignorant, agitated, and powerless. 50-50 split on all the bogus issues we are told are important, and 100% ignorant of what is really going on.

It's amazing how easily popular thought and opinions can be manipulated. And in 10 years I expect it will be an order of magnitude better. The power of social media, spying, and data mining is in its infancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 02:13 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
The Russians did it because they work together as a people, they have a strong sense of history, community and identity.
And mostly Fear

Old 01-27-2018, 02:42 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
By all means, avoid people who "think."
he is "some kind of thinker." says a lot of really dumb stuff. fancies himself a great mind i am sure but ultimately says nothing of value. do you relate to that?

Old 01-27-2018, 03:22 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,538,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
he is "some kind of thinker." says a lot of really dumb stuff. fancies himself a great mind i am sure but ultimately says nothing of value. do you relate to that?
That's your opinion based on, as you put it, "skimming" his essay. I suspect you call his writing "dumb" because (a) you don't agree with it, and (b) he says things that you as an American (assuming from your handle) don't want to hear. Whether you want to hear it nor not doesn't make his factual assertions less true. We do have a higher rate of mass shootings than any other country; we do have an opioid crisis that doesn't occur anywhere else in the world, even in countries where the same opioids can be bought without a prescription (I didn't think that includes fentanyl, but apparently it does); and we're one of the few countries in the world where average life expectancy is declining.

I don't share his ultimate opinion, that these things are signs of an irreversible collapse of American society. But when we say "We're number 1!" I doubt that we're thinking about school shootings, opioid use, and decline in life expectancy. But maybe I'm wrong about you, and these are things that make you proud to be an American.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:55 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Whether you want to hear it nor not doesn't make his factual assertions less true.
The problem isn't his factual assertions, it is the faulty conclusions he draws from them.

It would be just as easy to pick other to point out the drop in property crimes, violent crime, homicides etc. over the last 30-40 years but that wouldn't be convenient to the conclusion he chasing. Teen pregnancy rates are way down over previous decades, if the opposite was true he'd probably be all over that as proof of the impending doom of America. There are all kinds of stats that can be used as evidence one way or the other, it's silly for this clown to ramble on about things like school shootings as the great indicator of a fallen nation.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:05 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
... and we're one of the few countries in the world where average life expectancy is declining.

...Costa Rica’s overall mortality advantage can be explained largely by two causes of death: lung cancer and heart disease. Lung cancer mortality in the United States is four times higher among men and six times higher among women compared with Costa Rica. Mortality by heart disease is 54% and 12% higher in the United States than in Costa Rica for men and women, respectively.

http://www.pnas.org/content/113/5/1130.fullNo other country has an obesity problem, which is a major contributor to shortened life span.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
How can the US even engage in war without oil?
The US has plenty of oil to engage in sustained warfare. Oil imports from Canada are sufficient to supplement domestic oil production, not to mention North Sea oil. In the extremist of circumstances, the US can also ration oil for domestic consumption.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:11 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,554,212 times
Life is good. Don't know what the fuss is all about.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:06 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,538,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
The problem isn't his factual assertions, it is the faulty conclusions he draws from them.

It would be just as easy to pick other to point out the drop in property crimes, violent crime, homicides etc. over the last 30-40 years but that wouldn't be convenient to the conclusion he chasing. Teen pregnancy rates are way down over previous decades, if the opposite was true he'd probably be all over that as proof of the impending doom of America. There are all kinds of stats that can be used as evidence one way or the other, it's silly for this clown to ramble on about things like school shootings as the great indicator of a fallen nation.
Then we agree on his ultimate conclusion, as I said above; I disagree with his. But he’s not a “clown” just because you don’t like what he says, and you demean yourself with the name-calling.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:56 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,353,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the guy doesnt really deal in facts, he deals in his dramaqueen interpretation of facts. not that i would trust him to only use actual facts. i dont agree with his analysis and conclusions that he makes. i know you are a little hysterical about the world so you see this as confirmation of your beliefs. i dont really see it as worthy of going through and picking apart.
I love how eloquently your posts reflect so much of what we are talking about here. Like the other poster said, you are engaging in character assassination, calling the author a drama queen- and then you tell us you DIDN'T EVEN READ IT ALL.

This is another epidemic- people making judgments without knowledge, people having opinions based on nothing other than their own cynicism and vitriol. We have had, like the author said, 11 school shootings in 23 days. Those are facts, and they are alarming. INstead of coming out saying, "well, there were more school shootings in 1878 and so we needn't worry" you just say "drama queen". This is so typical of people on the internet these days, at least Americans. When I go onto the BBC and read the comments there, I am shocked by the more educated and thoughtful responses that you just don't get as often in the US. In fact, I would like to leave this country all together because I am frankly tired of arguing. IF you don't care about civility (a rhetorical "you" by the way) why should anyone else in this country? Have it your way. Nothing is wrong, move along, if you don't like it leave, etc etc etc. So I have been planning on just that.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:03 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,353,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The bottom line is: If you don't want to live in a capitalist country, then move out of America. There is a reason that America is an exceptional country that draws people from all over the world to come here.

There are quite a few non-capitalist countries out there to choose from if you don't like the American system.
Can you not possibly see the end of capitalism, that perhaps capitalism has turned? Perhaps headed towards fascism? ANY form of government has the ability within itself to turn towards an authoritarian/totalitarian state, all of them, including capitalism. A lot of people bandy the word "fascism" around without really knowing what it means. It is anti-intellectual, pro- traditionalist, and pro-corporate. Sound familiar?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics