Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 01:18 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,817 times

Advertisements

Was just talking to a co-worker, we was wondering if their is any states left that have their own road dept and build the state roads without having somebody to build them? If i remember correctly, my home state had their own Dept and the roads were far better, till a governor decided to limit that dept and issue bids for roads, and become UN-usable. Matter of fact, they are still working on the same 10 mile road down south for past 20 years, doing one mile at a time..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 06:28 PM

319 posts, read 665,147 times
Quote:
we was wondering if their is any states left that have their own road dept and build the state roads without having somebody to build them?
Don't believe so, but some cities and counties do their own work.

Bidding work is supposed to be cheaper than DIY due to payroll and pension costs.
Much of the roadway costs are wasted on federal regulations, uniform act, NEPA, and bureaucratic FHWA rules. If a project needs an EA/ER and have 4f/6f impacts, it is a huge pain in the butt.

Projects cost less than quarter million aren't worth getting federal funding for and dealing with federal regulations.

Quote:
Matter of fact, they are still working on the same 10 mile road down south for past 20 years, doing one mile at a time..
Few reasons for that.
It can be attributed to federal regulations, if a project only impact a small amount of wetlands/historical/archaeological, then the paperwork and project gets built quicker.
Or funding is limited to just doing little piece at a time.
Or it's filler work to keep a contractor busy.

Old 04-26-2018, 01:26 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
As we saw clearly in the 55-era, the federal government can force any state to enact and enforce any regulation they want, just by threatening to withhold federal funding for something.

Old 04-26-2018, 01:51 AM

665 posts, read 613,697 times
All states have a transportation dept. Whether or not, they are properly staffed to deliver sufficient maintenance is another issue. All states issue contracts to contractors to work on roads including repairs, rehabs, realignments and new road construction. That's just how things work. Some states are better at utilizing the funds they receive from the three main sources (local, state, and federal funds). Depending on the location and complexity, that would determine the funding a particular project receives.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:48 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
The quality of the roads has much more to do with topography, weather, and funding than the quality of the state department of transportation.

Now the efficiency of planning and long term road infrastructure is mostly them.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:30 AM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
The local-areas, cities, have more impact on road-quality.

Sure, the big stuff, state roads/highways, is majorly affected by the state. But where I am currently staying, Spokane, wow, the local-roads look 3rd-world'ish.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasy973 View Post
All states have a transportation dept. Whether or not, they are properly staffed to deliver sufficient maintenance is another issue. All states issue contracts to contractors to work on roads including repairs, rehabs, realignments and new road construction. That's just how things work. Some states are better at utilizing the funds they receive from the three main sources (local, state, and federal funds). Depending on the location and complexity, that would determine the funding a particular project receives.
You would think the state would hold accountability to the owners if the roads are starting to fall apart after a year or two when it was "completed"? Other words, make the contract to fix the road for next 10 years or we move on to another provider? Remembering my old family friend that worked for the AHWY Dept in the early 90s and he was the foremen of a group. His group was to fix the entire road of hwy 84 for the longest, and man he kept that road up for years, then a governor/state congress decided to put that road up for auction to the lowest bidder, and man that road is more eff up then your grandma dirt road. But its a hit and miss, as some toll roads are some of the best roads to drive on, and some are the worst! ( NY,NJ, parts of OK) looking at you!

Old 04-27-2018, 08:20 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
I am a great believer in outsourcing projects / services rather than have government organizations do the work. Use companies that specialize in the work, have specific performance requirements, use competitive bidding, and let government concentrate on project management and performance / financial audits.

My experience in numerous industry areas show that building, maintaining, funding, and managing internal specialty functions outside of the primary strategic organization goals rarely is the best solution.

Let government at all levels worry about providing for citizens with the best long term plan without getting into the business best done by independent companies. No, I don't really want my government in the construction, power, and other business.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I am a great believer in outsourcing projects / services rather than have government organizations do the work. Use companies that specialize in the work, have specific performance requirements, use competitive bidding, and let government concentrate on project management and performance / financial audits.

My experience in numerous industry areas show that building, maintaining, funding, and managing internal specialty functions outside of the primary strategic organization goals rarely is the best solution.

Let government at all levels worry about providing for citizens with the best long term plan without getting into the business best done by independent companies. No, I don't really want my government in the construction, power, and other business.
Problem is these private specialize group are doing shoddy work, for what job security? Their will always will be roads and bridges to build, so why not build them right the first time instead of tearing them up after only a month in service.

Old 05-03-2018, 03:24 PM

665 posts, read 613,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Problem is these private specialize group are doing shoddy work, for what job security? Their will always will be roads and bridges to build, so why not build them right the first time instead of tearing them up after only a month in service.
If roads are being tore after a month of service, then they were poorly designed or poorly constructed by the contractors. If contractors are doing bad work, then it is up to the agency/road dept. to hold the contractors accountable and assess the correct the penalties to those contractors and have them correct the issue. A lot of agencies do not hold these contractors accountable due to political reasons and other reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics