Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2018, 10:46 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Very true .

Here in Los Angeles the politicians are constantly promising affordable housing coming soon .

They must know the city will never be affordable for everyone . It’s lies to keep people voting for them . To keep their power .

The mayor here has literally said he’s going to work to make sure anybody can afford to live here despite their salary . It’s nuts .

Cubicle hotels. The solution is within reach. Maybe it's time to embrace downward mobility.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:55 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,489,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Cubicle hotels. The solution is within reach. Maybe it's time to embrace downward mobility.
As in Japan's cubicle hotels

Well I won't ever have to live in one I would move to Texas before I did that.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:56 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,345,484 times
Quote:

Nobody has a right to move to Manhattan but people who already live there have a right to not be displaced by newcomers.
Yes, but only if they own, rather than rent their quarters. Rents are determined by the free flow of supply and demand -- also called a "free market" (a term you plagiarize, but do not seem to fully comprehend).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
As in Japan's cubicle hotels
Quote:
You don't have to embrace it; it will embrace you, if you continue to slide toward the default option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Well I won't ever have to live in one I would move to Texas before I did that.
Like we said, the choice is yours.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 06-17-2018 at 11:27 AM..

Old 06-17-2018, 10:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yep. My husband is a mechanic, and we live very comfortably in a single-family house, three kids, in the high COL location of Orange County, CA.

But being a mechanic is hard, demanding, physical work that takes a toll on you.
Right, but YMMV.

My husband works in the oil and gas industry. Wow, it's tough physically as well. But he makes great money and has for decades. We have been socking it away and hopefully he can retire soon.

Meanwhile, we've lived very comfortably and due to the schedule (work two weeks, off two weeks) we are able to travel a lot and just generally enjoy life together.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Yes, but only if they own, rather than rent their quarters. Rents are determined by the free flow of supply and demand -- also called a "free market" (a term you plagiarize, but do not seem to fully comprehend).

Only is they have enough VOTES to enact a political solution.

Homeowners did, so renters are entitled to their shot at the same

Supply is rigged by the NIMBY, protectionist, rent-seeking homeowner majority. No such thing as a free market in housing thanks to homeowners.

I actually DO support free markets in housing and land use because it's the only way to make housing affordable to those at the bottom.

Which is precisely why homeowners don't want free markets.

Class warfare, baby! Two Americas.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:07 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,876,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Companies do this too... if it's between "the right thing", or "the profitable thing", more cases than not, they'll choose the latter.
I can only offer my own experience; at several F100 companies, the emphasis was always on doing the right thing. If you cannot do the right thing and still be profitable, it is time to shake things up - maybe exit the business, re-engineer the business processes, fundamentally rethink products and services in that business, etc. The emphasis was always on placing yourself in your customer's shoes and doing right by them, and being an asset to the communities in which the F100 company exists.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The biggest issue in expensive cities is they don't build enough housing. So the people at the bottom of the income ladder will always get priced out of even the most basic housing, regardless of how high the minimum wage is. Hiking the minimum wage does not fix the underlying issue.
Very true, but hiking the minimum wage sure does enrich landlords.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
the harder you work, the luckier you get.
I like that. I'm going to borrow that expression going forward.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Very true, but hiking the minimum wage sure does enrich landlords.

Hiking the minimum wage is WAY easier than actually allowing the private sector to build enough housing - the latter would be political suicide.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:21 AM

10,352 posts, read 8,578,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Don't forget the trades! Plumbing, welding, HVAC, electical, oil and gas, truck driving, culinary, mechanics, etc etc - some people are simply not wired together to go to college for four or more years and there is nothing wrong with that. These skilled trades (and many others) pay very well and FAR above minimum wage - some of these trades pull in well over $100,000 and more a year.

But hey, ya gotta hone those skills. You gotta have a strong work ethic. You gotta get up early, work long hours, get dirty, and it's not sexy. You don't get to wear a suit and tie or a statement necklace to work every day. But there is a big demand for people skilled in the trades, and those who go into the trades will never see minimum wage again or anywhere close.
Exactly!
I had a gym buddy that wasn't doing well financially.he used to joke about all the different ways he could cook ramen.
I ran into him 10 years later and he had gotten into hvac. His income was over 120k and had an offer for the same wages in Tennessee. His current company in California was trying to keep him from leaving by offering him more money.
Another person I knew was a plumber. Eventually opened his own company. Now he lives in a house worth over 1.6 million and owns real estate. We were just talking about his newest real estate buy, a 3.5 million dollar apartment complex.
The difference between the op and my friends is mindset. Both have families and instead of complaining they saw they had to do more to get more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics