Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2018, 11:32 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Yea their is alot of people making more then me and STILL have to live with roommates. Know why, COL/Greedy LL/ Low pay in high COL.. pick your poison. Should be here is 40 hours, and here is a house without a leaky roof. But we know houses aint cheap because of local laws, labor, and profit to be had with the banks. But a simple 500sq one bed room home can be built and can be something for a single min wage person that doesnt cost them 100k.. why are we not building them?
We have lots of 500sq foot condos here, but they go for around 400K.

If you want one built, buy some land and build your small house.

Buy your land, work and pay it off, and then when you can afford to build, proceed with Stage 2.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-21-2018, 11:33 AM

117 posts, read 129,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post

Some rich inherit their money, but the majority earn it.
Contrarian view

https://archives.cjr.org/the_audit/m...om_scratch.php

Old 06-21-2018, 11:38 AM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Well since we are all so dense and you see the issue more clearly, what is the solution. Most of us have said accept a lower standard of living that is still quite livable or improve yourself to earn more. That's our opinion and we're sticking to it, so it's up to you to come up with a solution that appeals to you more.

In Seattle they raised minimum wage quite a bit. Instead of enabling workers to get off government assistance and improve their lives, employers found that the workers instead wanted their hours cut because now they made too much money and were losing the freebies. That didn't work out so well.
No, I never inferred anyone was dense. What I said was that the thread was about people earning 2 - 2.5 times the minimum wage not being able to afford rent, I think that's worthy of discussion. It's obvious that if you make $7.25 an hour you can't afford rent and in most parts of the country it probably wouldn't even cover a single room.

I don't have solutions, but I think it's an important topic. I live in Sacramento where rents for a 1 bedroom apartment have gone from $600-$700 a month 3 or 4 years ago to $1,000 - $1100. Virtually every landlord requires 3X income to even apply. That means that if you work 40 hours a week you need to make $20 an hour (41,600 annually) to afford a one bedroom apartment in a crummy part of town.

I don't know how it is elsewhere but there aren't many landlords here who would rent a one bedroom apartment to multiple tenants. It's a real problem, there are tons of people here who gross 40-45k a year, if rents keep going up where are they going to live? My real concern is that if rents go up 7-10% every year many of them will ultimately end up homeless and then we will have a real mess.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:39 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,448,225 times
Quote:
Yea their is alot of people making more then me and STILL have to live with roommates. Know why, COL/Greedy LL/ Low pay in high COL.. pick your poison. Should be here is 40 hours, and here is a house without a leaky roof. But we know houses aint cheap because of local laws, labor, and profit to be had with the banks. But a simple 500sq one bed room home can be built and can be something for a single min wage person that doesnt cost them 100k.. why are we not building them?
So solution is what?

Seizing all property from private landlords and letting the government run everything ?

Things would be so nice if we could just be more like Venezuela right ?

A simple 500 sq ft home can’t be built for cheap because of high land costs , unions, government regulations etc etc

They are building some homeless housing buildings in L.A and each unit costs $400,000 !

Nobody is going to give their land away for free and why should they ? A construction worker isn’t going to work for free , etc .
This is why housing costs so much .

If you don’t believe me ask a developer or builder to explain why housing costs so much especially in bigger cities .

Again this varies . You can buy condos for $30,000 or less in some cities yet in other cities that cheapest one might be say $300,000 . .

Want cheap housing ? Go to where the housing is cheap .

I

Old 06-21-2018, 11:43 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
You seem to be resultful & hateful of the rich (correct me if I'm wrong.) Why all the hate?
I hate greed. I hate entitlement. The rich are the ultimate entitled ones.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:47 AM

10,718 posts, read 5,658,076 times
Quote:
why is it ridiculous? we all should beable to afford to live on our own without living under a bridge or having muliti people in one house. Were not pack rats or roaches.

There is no "should" here. People get to do what they can afford. And if a person making minimum wage cant afford to live on their own, that's OK. They get to live with multiple people. Or under a bridge.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:51 AM

About 10 years ago I bought some condos in Houston that were very cheap .

Under $20,000 each .

I looked now and they’ve gone up but saw one in the same complex for under $50,000

Problem is people want cheap in high cost cities AND in the best area of course .

There is a saying .. “Champagne taste on a beer budget. “

Old 06-21-2018, 11:52 AM

10,718 posts, read 5,658,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC White Collar View Post

From your article, 40% inherited at least $1 million. Therefore, 60% did not.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:53 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
How are they screwing them?
There is only so much wealth to go around. The rich are using their political power, to get more wealth at the expense everyone else. And don't give me the BS that the wealth will eventually trickle back down, because that never happens, never, never never.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
There is only so much wealth to go around. The rich are using their political power, to get more wealth at the expense everyone else. And don't give me the BS that the wealth will eventually trickle back down, because that never happens, never, never never.
Classic scarcity mindset . Read the link below and maybe you will realize that you have scarcity mindset .

“The scarcity mindset revolves around the idea that there simply isn’t enough to go around. There can be only one raise at work and if one person gets it, everyone else can’t have it. My paycheck only has a certain amount of money in it and if I don’t spend it now, it will “go away” – the “man” will take it. If I don’t party now when I’m young, I will never have the chance to party later.

Thus, the scarcity mindset always focuses on the extreme short term of every decision. What is the most fun option right now? What uses up the resources I have right now so that they can’t be taken away later?”

https://www.thesimpledollar.com/from...dance-mindset/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics