Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 08:24 AM

6,413 posts, read 4,908,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
CD does not have a large number of Black people posting. Hence, most comments won't be representative of the reality of Black life in America.

I suspect this thread is a back handed attempt to disparage Black people.
The OP is black why would they want to disparage black people? As for the reason why many Asians, Arabs and Latinos own those businesses is the same reason you see many blacks and Latinos working in the trades. The life they come from Central America, South America, Caribbean, Mexico or wherever is dreadful compared to the life here and a job as a painter, roofer, laborer is a great way to make a new life in a new country. I have met many firsthand and they are thrilled to be here. Same goes for nail salons and convenience stores with other ethnic groups. Those countries do not have generous social welfare programs like we have here and if you don't work you starve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 09:40 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,233,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZircon View Post
I am 24, black, and live and have lived in majority black neighborhoods. I find it a bit embarrassing to notice that many owners of businesses large or small in majority black neighborhoods are not owned or run by black people. Personally, I know next to nothing of economics, credit, and managing businesses overall.

Finance-wise, how or why did so many non-blacks manage to run nail salons, gas stations, restaurants, supermarkets, etc in black neighborhoods?

My intent is not to offend people but to seek advice on what can we as black people do to step up economically in terms of ownership and credit. I assume you have to have good credit, but what are some specific step-by-step guides in terms of the necessary paperwork such as licensing and permits, or if a degree is necessary, on owning and starting a business like a nail salon, beauty supply store, gas stations, restaurant, etc.

I live in the Miami, Florida area if that matters.

How do they do it? The answer is.... it isn't by magic. They take advantage of the liberties of a free market society, and they have the benefit of a lot of collective knowledge and experience within their ethnic community. They help each other with capital and investment and such as that. Asians got it going on with entreprenuership - it's so much a part of their cultural heritage. I know from first-hand experience.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:44 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,233,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
CD does not have a large number of Black people posting. Hence, most comments won't be representative of the reality of Black life in America.

I suspect this thread is a back handed attempt to disparage Black people.

... but meanwhile, getting back to the original question..... or should we just keep on swerving off into identity politics? or time travel... or Bigfoot sightings... or something else irrelevant?

Old 12-22-2018, 11:03 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Most of those businesses are low revenue, nothing for black folk to be jealous of

Old 12-22-2018, 05:14 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
One thing that I've seen about many black businesses (I'm black and have lived most of my life in black communities) is that the prices at such businesses are often substantially higher than the competition. Those who would patronize these businesses see the price tag, not the color of the owner, and will go with the cheapest alternative. This is as it should be in my opinion.

I've often asked myself why this is, and I've known quite a few black business owners. For many, it seems that there is a true "need" to earn a decent living, and many can't/won't accept the reality that it often takes years of living on crumbs to make things work. Take this with the fact that many blacks have often fully embraced the stereotypical American cultural practice of living as a family alone as a sign of success, which plays into expenses, etc. This as opposed to many immigrants, who will often live together in extended family/friends settings, stretching that dollar much farther than otherwise would be the case.

Old 12-22-2018, 08:23 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
One thing that I've seen about many black businesses (I'm black and have lived most of my life in black communities) is that the prices at such businesses are often substantially higher than the competition. Those who would patronize these businesses see the price tag, not the color of the owner, and will go with the cheapest alternative. This is as it should be in my opinion.

I've often asked myself why this is, and I've known quite a few black business owners. For many, it seems that there is a true "need" to earn a decent living, and many can't/won't accept the reality that it often takes years of living on crumbs to make things work. Take this with the fact that many blacks have often fully embraced the stereotypical American cultural practice of living as a family alone as a sign of success, which plays into expenses, etc. This as opposed to many immigrants, who will often live together in extended family/friends settings, stretching that dollar much farther than otherwise would be the case.
Are Latinos really doing that well though? What do black people have to gain by opening low revenue businesses that require a ton of effort to keep afloat?

Old 12-22-2018, 09:37 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,067,215 times
[quote=creepy;53949571]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
You probably want to consult this guy's YouTube Channel and maybe reach out to him.
He goes way too far with the white supremacy stuff, IMO,
Disgusting you would rec the watch a white supremacist You Tube guy. Eff that!
They can go to hell with their misguided incorrect theories. Next time stay out of the convo-have some damn decency.
Yep, everybody is all for free speech. Until somebody says something they disagree with.

OP, one thing that hasn't been brought up yet, is that in many immigrant cultures (Arab, Indian, etc.), being a "Merchant" (buying, selling, trading, haggling, etc.), is very commonplace. So I would expect that many who start businesses here already had experience doing so in their own countries. Also, I have "heard" that there are tax incentives for new immigrants; I can't verify that, but it's worth checking into; that would put someone like you at a disadvantage. My own experience is that immigrant businesses in AA neighborhoods typically tend to be gas stations, convenience stores, liquor stores, etc., there's a lot of money to be made in sundries, booze, cigarettes, and lottery tickets, no matter what neighborhood you're in. There was an assertion made above that stated AA's "allow" immigrant businesses in their neighborhoods because there is less tolerance of whites; I disagree, I believe there is a lot of resentment toward immigrant businesses as well, look at the selective arson of Korean owned businesses during the LA riots - I can't remember if this was the case in Ferguson, MO as well. The unrest you are feeling isn't new.

That being said, good for you for noticing this and wanting to do something to help yourself and your community. If you were in Chicago, I would point you to some African American business and civic organizations that exist to help black people become entrepreneurs. I would think that Miami would have similar organizations, I'd start Googling or contact the Miami chamber of commerce, they should be able to point you in the right direction. Best of Luck.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:24 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
[quote=creepy;53949571]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
You probably want to consult this guy's YouTube Channel and maybe reach out to him.

He goes way too far with the white supremacy stuff, IMO,

Disgusting you would rec the watch a white supremacist You Tube guy. Eff that!

They can go to hell with their misguided incorrect theories. Next time stay out of the convo-have some damn decency.
I can only surmise that the written word "white supremacist" triggered you. otherwise, you might have seen it was a black person speaking of black empowerment, and decrying white nationalism/alt+right stuff.

surely, there are some lingering inequalities that can be addressed. Merely by fact that 3 generations ago my people wouldn't have had non-financial barriers to ownership or "power".

As to the OP, it would definitely be access to capital, often pooled among family, and the use of family labor on the cheap. There are many legal immigrants to this country that build family prosperity one person and generation at a time.

Old 12-22-2018, 11:21 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Don't overlook that many of those mentioned are foreign born... they came here for most part driven to make good...

It is one thing working long hours as an employee and different when you are the owner or part of the family...

I live in Oakland and there are very successful small business... most I trade with are in the trades...

Old 12-23-2018, 08:32 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
I'm Black. My brother used to own a business in a Black neighborhood.

This is the only thing I've learned. One is that it is cheaper to acquire the property and rent in said neighborhoods. The other is that the product needs to be what people in said neighborhoods prefer. Quality may take a back seat to convenience, to practicality. For example there is a reason why you'll see a store in Black neighborhood selling sneakers, boots (usually Timberland, Tommy or Polo) and "urban" clothing and the store is not a national or regional operation and that store continues to do well. That is a tried and true business, since forever. $200 t-shirts. $200 sneakers, but nothing you might find at a department store. Back in the day it used to be Iceberg. Today it might be Balenciaga, Gucci, or Louis Vuitton.

Go into any dead mall. Most are in depressed neighborhoods, usually predominately Black, maybe Latino. All of the anchor stores are closed. Guess what stores are still open. DTLR, Journeys, Foot Locker, Jimmy Jazz. And you'll probably find a bunch of pop up stores selling similar merchandise that aren't national names. The Korean nail salons stay open. The Chinese restaurants stay open. Someone is selling soul food. It is what it is.

Give people what they want. Give it to them cheap. Keep your costs low.

Last edited by goofy328; 12-23-2018 at 08:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics