Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2019, 03:14 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,118,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
A corporation cannot physically be present in every location that is convenient for all individuals. That would be physically impossible.
With remote working options for professionals it would be totally doable, but for what ever reason companies are resistant to making it main stream. So its not impossible so long as trust is built, but there has been nothing but greed since the industrial revolution, that is why the employee/employer relationship is so broken.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:18 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,436,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
With remote working options for professionals it would be totally doable, but for what ever reason companies are resistant to making it main stream. So its not impossible so long as trust is built, but there has been nothing but greed since the industrial revolution, that is why the employee/employer relationship is so broken.
That's true for professional workers.

But for the majority that rely on the private industry for wages they work and live where the corporation decides to invest.

That is not freedom, that is control.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
A corporation cannot physically be present in every location that is convenient for all individuals. That would be physically impossible.
A Corporation is not the be all end all of economics, it is a system of organization.

If cooperatives and small companies could own the land and capital around them to provide for themselves without multinational competition, this reality you speak of wouldn't have to be so.

But as that is the cause of this system of operation, I think we both can agree it is deeply flawed.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:42 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,580,425 times
Quote:
I dont need to work 80 hours to get things done .... mic drop.
Can't find a job in a full employment market... go pawn that mic.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
So what? People work hard in Colombia to harvest the soil, grow cash crops, and feed their family. In terms of monetary value they make nothing and are worth less. Do you look down on them just like you do others?
The point flew so far over your head it probably had a lunar eclipse when it passed behind the moon.

I don't look down on someone for earning less, I look down on someone who brags about not working hard then demands society (mainly the others that do work hard) makes more and more efforts and allowances to support them.

I also look down on people so intellectually dishonest they'll say someone living in Houston isn't living in a major city, or that someone living outside the loop in Chicago isn't living in Chicago, or that someone with crippling student load debt living and working in DC isn't living in DC.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
treachery like lay offs.
Layoffs are no more treachery than resigning from a job is treachery.

Quote:
In my case I am in this situation because we can’t move.
Let's crank up the pittsflyer excuse machine!

Old 02-18-2019, 04:58 PM

1,067 posts, read 624,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
A Corporation is not the be all end all of economics, it is a system of organization.

If cooperatives and small companies could own the land and capital around them to provide for themselves without multinational competition, this reality you speak of wouldn't have to be so.

But as that is the cause of this system of operation, I think we both can agree it is deeply flawed.
You are welcome to give pittsflyer a job. Make sure you pay him a wage that he thinks is appropriate, let him work the hours he wants and you make sure you make the work location is in a place he wants to live.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Layoffs are no more treachery than resigning from a job is treachery.

Let's crank up the pittsflyer excuse machine!
Treachery is a breach of trust, the employer in the vast majority of cases has the leverage. So their actions are much more treacherous than an employee leaving.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
You are welcome to give pittsflyer a job. Make sure you pay him a wage that he thinks is appropriate, let him work the hours he wants and you make sure you make the work location is in a place he wants to live.
Or you can work for Jim in a sweat shop for $11/hr at odd hours such that you cant see your wife or friends.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
It worked in the eastern bloc.

Outside of Romania and Poland which had totalitarian governments, the majority of the population in eastern bloc states want to go back.

Everyone had job security, there was no corporate competition, and all could feed their families/help one another. As they had less trading partners, they failed, no reason otherwise.

If the US was isolated from the global market, our economy would collapse as well. Most importantly, eastern states had less to work with from the get go as they were historically poorer than the west, especially after WW2.

I don't support that system, as I don't want structured employment, but it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics