Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2019, 01:57 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Good post. Plus 1. Many people HAVE stopped looking for jobs, are underemployed, or are working two or more jobs in order to survive.

Incidentally, it is not only "poor folk" who do not by stocks. MOST Americans do not "play the stock market".
True, im not poor, but im just scared to put money I might loose into it. I might take a plung one day on a super cheap stock and sees what happens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 02:27 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
True, im not poor, but im just scared to put money I might loose into it. I might take a plung one day on a super cheap stock and sees what happens
For most Americans, putting their cash into an account that will convert it into shares is the equivalent of putting a dollar bill into a machine and it turning to cyber dust.

Finance enthusiasts won't get "most" Americans to successfully invest.

Auto enthusiasts won't get "most" Americans to work on their own cars.

DIY enthusiasts won't get "most" Americans to remodel their own home.

Unfortunately, most Americans know how to make money, but are extorted by retail rates when it comes to having most work done for them. This causes their dollar to fall short and they spiral into perpetual scarcity.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:42 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,905,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post
Read the thread. I outlined everything including what I'm invested in today still (crossing fingers!).
Can you post link to the thread?

Old 04-18-2019, 02:54 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
For most Americans, putting their cash into an account that will convert it into shares is the equivalent of putting a dollar bill into a machine and it turning to cyber dust.

Finance enthusiasts won't get "most" Americans to successfully invest.

Auto enthusiasts won't get "most" Americans to work on their own cars.

DIY enthusiasts won't get "most" Americans to remodel their own home.
While it's true that "most" Americans may struggle with expenses and lack the capacity to save a large percentage of their income, it is bewildering and particularly unfortunate, that many have such reluctance to even touch the stock market.

Just as most of us are unlikely to become accomplished do-it-yourselfers, so too, most of us won't ever be successful in business. We are primarily employees in somebody else's business. Nevertheless, we can participate in the tenor and progress of American business via the stock market, if only in small and occasional amounts. That so many fail to do so, is more a psychological issue, than a pecuniary one.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
While it's true that "most" Americans may struggle with expenses and lack the capacity to save a large percentage of their income, it is bewildering and particularly unfortunate, that many have such reluctance to even touch the stock market.

Just as most of us are unlikely to become accomplished do-it-yourselfers, so too, most of us won't ever be successful in business. We are primarily employees in somebody else's business. Nevertheless, we can participate in the tenor and progress of American business via the stock market, if only in small and occasional amounts. That so many fail to do so, is more a psychological issue, than a pecuniary one.
In order to get matching contributions, many private-sector companies require the employee to invest via the employer's own plan, which is often the 401(k).

Maybe it's the friction in getting contributions started, the electronic forms that need to be filled out... or maybe, on a related note, the employee procrastinates.

Perhaps it's the idea that you're penalized for taking your money out before 59 1/2. How about something employer-sponsored, with matching contributions, that allowed employees to invest up to 50% of their contributions into something that's not a target-date fund. (Yes, some employers offer as little as 10 choices for placing your money)

The contributions would be required to stay in, but the gains (not just dividends) could be cut as a check the employee at any time. Trading would be commission-free.

A 9-square sliding puzzle gets boring after a while. Give an employee something where they can see real distributions before retirement age. The other 50% will keep some of the contributions safe in managed, diversified funds.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:38 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
I am not referring to 401Ks or other employment-related savings vehicles. I mean simply a scenario where Joe Sixpack manages to save 10% of his income, but mistrusts the market, and therefore keeps the money in the local bank, earning 0%, or perhaps at most 2% in something like a one-year CD.

Sure, if Joe can't manage to save anything whatsoever, the discussion is moot. But what if Joe DOES save? That's the topic here. And the point is that Joe won't ever build wealth merely by saving. He needs to have his capital compound, earning a good cumulative average rate of return. The practical way of doing that, is the stock market. If Joe avoids the stock market, out of fear, suspicion, mistrust of whatever else, then Joe will remain stuck in the hamster-wheel.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I am not referring to 401Ks or other employment-related savings vehicles. I mean simply a scenario where Joe Sixpack manages to save 10% of his income, but mistrusts the market, and therefore keeps the money in the local bank, earning 0%, or perhaps at most 2% in something like a one-year CD.

Sure, if Joe can't manage to save anything whatsoever, the discussion is moot. But what if Joe DOES save? That's the topic here. And the point is that Joe won't ever build wealth merely by saving. He needs to have his capital compound, earning a good cumulative average rate of return. The practical way of doing that, is the stock market. If Joe avoids the stock market, out of fear, suspicion, mistrust of whatever else, then Joe will remain stuck in the hamster-wheel.
CD's, IRAs and Roth IRAs all have early withdrawal penalties. Joe Six-pack just knows it's HIS money and no one is going to charge him fees on HIS money.

Joe Six-pack will have to find himself a public-sector job with a pension. He wants it laid out on paper. "I gave 'em 30 years, how much is my CHECK going to be for the rest of my life?"

That USED TO BE enough.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:46 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
I'll agree with unfortunate but I don't see it as bewildering at all.

How many simply don't earn enough to afford a home purchase at all...
of those who can buy (sorta) ... how many are over-extended and on a fiscal knifes edge?
(Unlike their grandfathers who had functional pensions and could afford homes too.)

Old 04-18-2019, 05:05 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
A 1970s Chef's Salad - but meatless - Chopped Boston lettuce, Romaine lettuce, hard boiled eggs, red kidney beans, green onions, chick peas, peppered Deli Slices, grape tomatoes, yellow peppers, red peppers, shredded carrots, chuncked Swiss cheese, radishes and home made Green Goddess dressing.

A Lagunitas IPA

Old 04-22-2019, 12:02 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:

Exactly.

I would add that Fidelity now has a whole lineup of very low cost mutual funds that have no minimum balance requirement:

https://www.fidelity.com/mutual-fund...as/index-funds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics