Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2019, 06:07 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
And no clear path to advancement or training either?

Next time you hear someone badmouth unions...
She was in a union (Laborers). That was the job where she worked 7 12s for five weeks (night shift 7 p.m. to 7 a.m.). Unfortunately the union representative signed her up with a union that is 70 miles from our house even though they weren't anywhere near that union hall. When the other job ended, she was requried to go to the union hall 70 miles away to get another assignment. That assignment would easily be 100 miles or more commute for her. Then she asked if she could change to the nearby union hall a few miles form our house? No. That is not allowed. So, she is no longer in the union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 08:04 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
I'm very perplexed as to why I STILL hear all these people say the economy is still bad, just like they said not long after 2008 all the way to 2014.

Why?

-Unemployment is at a nearly 5 decade low.

-3% GDP growth +/-

-All time low African American and Hispanic unemployment rate.

-Consumer confidence at an all time high

-Stock market at an all time high

-Wager keeping up with inflation

-Biggest wage gains among low-income people.

And on and on, and on...............

So WHY do I keep hearing people say its a struggle in "this" economy?

In my particular industry, there is a worker SHORTAGE and companies are betting for qualified applicants. Just recently, I was given a job offer literally 2 minutes after finishing the interview. This is just one of many examples.

So what gives? Why do I keep hearing so many people give the impression the economy is still bad like it was 2008-2014?
*Income inequality
*Extremely high real estate prices and rents
*Extremely high health care and tuition costs
*Frighteningly large national debt

'Nuff said.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:51 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
*Income inequality

'Nuff said.
Why is that 'nuff said, there are good and bad aspects to the US economy but making a case for it being good/bad surely comes down to more than choosing four measures and declaring them the true measure of the quality of a massive complex economy.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:26 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Why is that 'nuff said, there are good and bad aspects to the US economy but making a case for it being good/bad surely comes down to more than choosing four measures and declaring them the true measure of the quality of a massive complex economy.
Yes, you're right. A house with a porous roof, a crumbling foundation, broken windows and a rusted furnace is otherwise perfectly livable. The front door even locks.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:50 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Very Rational.

And of course you "deserve" nothing, either. You only get - and take - things to which you are 100%... oh, let's say entitled. Right?
Aside from criminal activity, transactions are voluntary where each person in the transaction evaluates her objectives and alternatives and either executes a transaction -- or doesn't.

There is no such thing as deserve anywhere in that transaction. It is a non-concept.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Aside from criminal activity, transactions are voluntary where each person in the transaction evaluates her objectives and alternatives and either executes a transaction -- or doesn't.
You can spout this textbook nonsense all day - and, come to think of it, do. It barely has anything to do with the reality of economics and the individual, but I can see your kindly old Econ prof diagramming it on the board because it will be on the test.

Quote:
There is no such thing as deserve anywhere in that transaction. It is a non-concept.
In Econ 101. Which means... bupkis outside of that formal logic game's utterly artificial rules.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
*Income inequality

'Nuff said.
Regarding real estate prices & residential real estate rent, that issue has been manufactured by state and local governments via intention imposition of costly artificial restrictions on supply. In some communities in Southern California, some estimates are that such artificial restrictions add as much as $200,000 to the cost of building a single family residence. That doesn't seem to be an indicator of the sickness or health of the economy at large.

Regarding health care and tuition costs, they are high because of the policies and actions of our federal government. That doesn't seem to be an indicator of the sickness or health of the economy at large.

Regarding our national debt, caused by chronic deficit spending, I'll defer to Warren Buffett when he quipped,
Quote:
"We could end the deficit by passing a law that says anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election."
It seems the national debt could be reduced with the right incentives. There are 425 voting members of The House and 100 voting members of The Senate. All we need to do is collectively replace them.

Regarding income inequality, that's a tougher one. That devolves into a political argument.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Yes, you're right. A house with a porous roof, a crumbling foundation, broken windows and a rusted furnace is otherwise perfectly livable. The front door even locks.
Let us know when you decide to toggle away from practicing your stand-up comic material.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Let us know when you decide to toggle away from practicing your stand-up comic material.
Let us know when you figure out that human experience doesn't compartment into tight little boxes. You must have just about covered yours with "beautiful" econ theories by now, right?

I'll be here all week. Try the veal.

ETA...

Instead of this pointless fencing, I will spell out my position in real simple, TV-commentator-level vocabulary: I don't believe economics is a wholly isolated field whose practice, principles and effects are isolated from the rest of human existence. The only people who think so are (1) idiots or Randites; (2) those who studied basic Econ in a vacuum and have never figured out its venerated precepts are both wholly malleable theories and subject to that 'rest of human existence' stuff in the real world and (3) those with an agenda, usually the rich trying to preserve and justify their entitlements.

Last edited by Quietude; 06-11-2019 at 11:25 AM..

Old 06-11-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Instead of this pointless fencing, I will spell out my position in real simple, TV-commentator-level vocabulary: I don't believe economics is a wholly isolated field whose practice, principles and effects are isolated from the rest of human existence. The only people who think so are (1) idiots or Randites; (2) those who studied basic Econ in a vacuum and have never figured out its venerated precepts are both wholly malleable theories and subject to that 'rest of human existence' stuff in the real world and (3) those with an agenda, usually the rich trying to preserve and justify their entitlements.
Don't for get to edit your Wikipedia page to include "Father of 'Tudeonomics,' a mythical academic discipline, and its principle champion as evinced my a plethora of rants and tantrums."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics