Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2019, 10:35 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,029,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I’m simply listing things that add up to most people’s “cost of living”. For the sake of this discussion - all the bills a typical 18-35 year old is paying.
If I owe $75,000 in student loans, where can I live such that it's less? Does my $6000 Visa balance go down if I move to Sioux City?

You don't know what COL actually means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2019, 10:54 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,960,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
If I owe $75,000 in student loans, where can I live such that it's less? Does my $6000 Visa balance go down if I move to Sioux City?

You don't know what COL actually means.
Are you really not understanding that I was using the words “cost of living” in a specific way ***I*** wanted to use them?

Come on now - my brain is annoyed for having to explain that.

Old 12-16-2019, 10:55 PM

838 posts, read 567,166 times
Personally i think this would be better given in assets, Perhaps start off with a small asset such as a piece of property/stock etc. and teach them how to manage it and grow from there. Giving a child too much money at once without an understanding on how to keep it, Isn't beneficial imho.

I've been on the other side of this.

Old 12-17-2019, 01:43 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,234,734 times
If Eddie's daughter is 1, what will 200K be worth 17 years from now? Will she or the majority of people living in low COL cities be able to retire on a Million dollars in 2084?

Old 12-17-2019, 06:16 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,029,320 times
Quote:
Are you really not understanding that I was using the words “cost of living” in a specific way ***I*** wanted to use them?
Oh, you mean the inaccurate, self-serving way? Oh ok.

Old 12-17-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Oh, you mean the inaccurate, self-serving way? Oh ok.
You got me.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:23 AM

10,359 posts, read 8,595,177 times
Quote:
No I am simply able to create a “fun money” budget and that was an idea to have a little fun.
I completely get having money for fun. The point was you made big deal of money doesn’t equal happiness, yet here you are using money to obtain happiness. You already have a car, so buying a new car every year because you have what you perceive is enough to do what most people can’t just for enjoyment is clearly buying happiness.
See they hypocrisy?

Old 12-17-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I completely get having money for fun. The point was you made big deal of money doesn’t equal happiness, yet here you are using money to obtain happiness. You already have a car, so buying a new car every year because you have what you perceive is enough to do what most people can’t just for enjoyment is clearly buying happiness.
See they hypocrisy?
That’s not buying happiness. My happiness is unaffected by me driving or not driving those vehicles. In fact, I’m already sorta bored by that idea.

So what does mean? My fun money continues being invested until I find something worthy of spending it on.

I’d rather find an enjoyable way to start volunteering my time.

Plus I love my Prius...thought about restoring her seeing as she played a role in helping me own my time for the rest of my life (hopefully 50+ years).

I also like the idea of sorta being an undercover millionaire. I like to blend in and talk to people of all net worths.

Old 12-17-2019, 12:06 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,638,615 times
Quote:
That’s not buying happiness. My happiness is unaffected by me driving or not driving those vehicles. In fact, I’m already sorta bored by that idea.
Lame. If your happiness wasn’t impacted you would never have been considering the purchase of such expensive vehicles every year in the first place. You “got bored” with it most likely because it was an idea you were never going to be able to pull off in the construct you originally stated and you don’t have the ability financially to support the idea on what it would actually cost you .

Old 12-17-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Lame. If your happiness wasn’t impacted you would never have been considering the purchase of such expensive vehicles every year in the first place. You “got bored” with it most likely because it was an idea you were never going to be able to pull off in the construct you originally stated and you don’t have the ability financially to support the idea on what it would actually cost you .
It’s hard to believe that some people’s internal happiness is largely unaffected by spending money, right?

Perhaps it’s like a state of nirvana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics