Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2019, 12:53 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,599,645 times

Advertisements

LOL! $200k in the hands of a 30 year old who is desperate to have a cool condo. LOL!

No way would I give any control of that money to anyone younger than, say, 35 years old. If I wanted to set up a trust fund for him/her, I'd do that, and get a trustee for it. Can't touch it until I die, or say so, or the kid hits middle age and understands what old age is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 12:55 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,440,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
LOL! $200k in the hands of a 30 year old who is desperate to have a cool condo. LOL!

No way would I give any control of that money to anyone younger than, say, 35 years old. If I wanted to set up a trust fund for him/her, I'd do that, and get a trustee for it. Can't touch it until I die, or say so, or the kid hits middle age and understands what old age is.
Right because your arbitrary age cutoff means anything. I knew more about finance by 23, than most ever will.

Being 35, 45, hell 75 gives no comfort for someone’s finance competency.

Old 12-14-2019, 02:34 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,953,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
"offend" LOL. Only by the lack of knowledge behind them.

Does it help you sleep better to believe that everyone else is working these uninspiring jobs?
I don’t know if they are or not. My goal was to simply eliminate the word “work” from my life.

I go to “want” instead of “work” — as in I go to what I want to do. That doesn’t mean I don’t do some work though...for example, I’ll go cut my parent’s lawn. Sometimes I enjoy the experience of the sun on my back doing hot and sweaty manual labor.

Old 12-14-2019, 05:16 PM

22,666 posts, read 24,632,000 times
OK, this is VERY theoretical, most parents do not have 200K to give to the kid, certainly not the multiple kiddies.

But yeah, see what happens to many 30+ year-olds who win the lottery, many times it wrecks them.

Old 12-14-2019, 07:41 PM

7,652 posts, read 4,616,279 times
Parents should want their children to become something, as its the last stage of parenting. Money, by itself, is not part of the equation. College can be.

When she was 6, I gave my then step-daughter $3K of cash to see how aware she was. She decided she wanted me to hold on to it. She knew, frankly, that either of her biological parents would try and take it, and expectations were low.

I invested it quite speculatively and frankly spectacularly. (100% chinese equities at the moment) She's a couple of years from getting it, but currently she's at $17K.

She's now much more aware of it, though I still carry the gains on my taxes. This upcoming year we are going to file separately though, so she learns. If she can do it, I'll be very proud. It's one of the things to learn. Hopefully we can start learning about accounts etc. Her curiosity is starting to rise. She now wants to major in finance. She understands that it's sat there all this time. Delayed gratification is a good thing.

Still, it's just money. Money is convertible into things, services etc. She still doesn't know what to DO with said money. She doesn't know what tools she needs in order to achieve goals.

Giving money to a person (at any age) with no goal or use for money is a bad idea. Giving money to someone who doesn't know how to handle it will make them a victim. Have a homeless person that you don't like. Go get a fat stack of of bills and openly make it rain for them. If the habits don't do them in, the envious hungry will. They have no ability to protect or handle their wealth. Whatever they've just gotten will need to be consumed immediately or risk having that and more stolen from them.

What do you think will happen if you set loose the young and naive with fat wads of cash? It's bad enough that we do it with gigantic loans, which in turn has allowed for unbelievable inflation at colleges.

So best to have a plan. Money needs a plan. Every parent should help their child have a plan. That's the best gift. The plan will then dictate what's needed.

Old 12-14-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
OK, this is VERY theoretical, most parents do not have 200K to give to the kid, certainly not the multiple kiddies.

But yeah, see what happens to many 30+ year-olds who win the lottery, many times it wrecks them.
Many people are wrecked doing things the traditional way. How common is the college grad with $75k in debt and a $30k/year job?

Old 12-14-2019, 08:40 PM

3,071 posts, read 2,410,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Many people are wrecked doing things the traditional way. How common is the college grad with $75k in debt and a $30k/year job?

Not very common, unless a post-graduate degree only gets you a $15 an hour job.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...student-loans/

Old 12-14-2019, 08:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,755 posts, read 58,140,793 times
Quote:
Sounds a lot like a USA public school teaching job (unfortunately).

Sad for USA, but glad for those who deliver edu to the few who appreciate and use it. (Often not the parents, who only demand the free childcare) so they can presume to earn more $, so they can spend it on more childcare.

Only in America....

Old 12-14-2019, 08:55 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,589,360 times
Quote:
Look at all the people out here who are 30 with a negative net worth (a worst case scenario for any child of mine). Most will probably be 55+ before they can even imagine what $500k looks like..
Most of them probably didn't receive handouts from their parents.

Old 12-14-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Not very common, unless a post-graduate degree only gets you a $15 an hour job.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...student-loans/
Your article says 25% have an outstanding student loan debt of $43,000 or more.

That’s not exactly “not very common”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics