Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2020, 12:37 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,277,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Probably not very, while N Alabama is fairly nice, it is very conservative - with NASA Space flight center and the Army's Redstone Arsenal there. I would suggest New Orleans as better location - fairly inexpensive, cosmopolitan, LOTS to do, gay friendly and fairly good weather 9 months out of the year.
A major strike against New Orleans is crime.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 11:06 AM

7,893 posts, read 11,445,578 times
Houston, Dallas or Nashville depending on how much winter weather is wanted. Great healthcare in all three which grows in importance as we age

Old 01-31-2020, 04:38 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,716,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBouy View Post
Seems like south Florida is what he is describing, live on the outskirts of Miami.
Crime, 24/7 traffic, surrounded by vast numbers of people wealthier than he is, hard to get to the water, way too hot to do anything much for 6+ months of the year......

Not gonna do it.

You get what you pay for.....if you want "weather" and water. One can buy a 2 million dollar condo on the waterfront right here in Sarasota and still have the Bay full of red tide and e-coli that they may not be able to wade into.

3.5 Million just isn't enough to "live the life". Garth Brooks just bought a beachfront place nearby...I suspect he'll have 20 million into it by the time he starts using it.

My answer to this individual would be to get a nice 600K small house or nice condo in coastal RI....AND, a decent 500-750K house in Florida somewhere.......and then they'd have most of the weather element done for and also be near culture, arts and health care.

But they will also find out right quick that lots of people have lots of money and tickets to the Opera may be sold out.

Down in Miami if you drive a top of the line Benz no one will give a second look.

Old 01-31-2020, 04:40 PM

19,031 posts, read 14,261,865 times
Buy a farm in some small town / rural area in the Great Smoky Mountains. Stock up supplies, and ride out the 'big one.'
Better yet, finance a fortified village for 200-300 charter subscribers and build a civilization as you so desire.

Old 01-31-2020, 04:44 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,716,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Florida has nothing in common with California besides being ocean side. People are different, education levels are different and the entire vibe is different. Florida has a lot of snow birds and is a vacation destination.

What we found is the "best" way to do it is to have a place up in Canada for the summer months and a place in Florida for the winter months. Ping and pong between them.
I think the "two places" scenario is the very best (and that's what we do).

West Coast of Florida does have relatively nice culture (Sarasota has Opera and we have at least a dozen stages and playhouses within 10 minutes, world-class museums, etc.)...for Florida, anyway.

Lots of people do Maine, RI or Coastal MA....in the summer and then Florida in the winter. Dec 1 to April 15 is bearable, especially mid-state.

Old 01-31-2020, 04:45 PM

13,114 posts, read 7,584,401 times
OP, If you need some one to accompany you in your search, I am willing to be that person. I just need to go somewhere.

Old 02-01-2020, 08:47 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,298,167 times
Truth or Consequences, New Mexico

One of the best climates in the SW and not one but 2 big lakes...Elephant Butte and Caballo..
also hot springs spas down by the river.

Your money goes far too, cheap housing, there are nice newer homes backing on golf course,
and homes with water views at Hot Springs Landing.

Old 02-20-2020, 06:15 PM

369 posts, read 371,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/reti...-go/ar-BBZ3Tfl

I like how this guy wants to stretch his money, which could be done practically anywhere in the country besides southern California, Bay Area, or NYC itself, but then he wants "year-round temperate weather with easy access to culture, food, art, music, and health care."

There are a good 30-50 cities that can offer him the culture, food, art, music, and health care pieces. But the "year round temperate weather" will be a harder find. I'm assuming that means he neither wants snowy or cold wet winters nor hot and/or humid summers. That eliminates a huge swath of the world. I mean, San Diego or Orange County come to mind for me, but he wants somewhere he can retire nicely on 3.5M. He can retire cheap, or he can move to a cheaper area where access to culture, art, and music is more occasional.

He wants essentially California, but doesn't want to pay for it. He can choose several of those thing for cheap but not all of them put together. That's what world class cities offer and is why they're expensive. LOL! This reminds me of a couple posters here who wanted it all without paying for it, and cried about the unfairness of the world as a result.
Bakersfield, Ca. He can afford it there.

Old 02-20-2020, 06:20 PM

369 posts, read 371,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
People always want it all. What else is new?

There is no perfect paradise. We all must make trade offs.

With a minimum of $3M in assets, this guy can draw a near bullet proof income of 90k, and a still conservative one of 120k if he takes out 4%. For a single person, that should be plenty to live a decent life in CA. Maybe not in SF proper or tony suburbs, but pretty much anywhere else.
I make it in Sherman Oaks, a nice part of LA on these numbers. With money left to put in my emergency fund or taxable account. But I rent. Waiting on a 15-20% correction. And I'm a conservative, I ignore the noise. Not a better place to live.

Old 02-20-2020, 06:21 PM

50,439 posts, read 64,233,743 times
Anywhere.

Why not go to some small town, and invest in it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics