Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 11:12 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,034,253 times

Advertisements

Will bank branches (brick and mortar locations) ever go away, or are they here to stay?

I guess as long as their is still cash, then there has to be bank branches. I found some articles two to three years old stating they are here to stay.

https://www.business.att.com/learn/t...oing-away.html

https://bankingblog.accenture.com/ba...way?lang=en_US

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN10X0D6

If they are here to stay, but just dwindling in total number, how they determine which branch is staying put? Is it total deposits at the branch? Why not just combine total deposits at another location?

If bank branches are here to stay, then what else are here to stay? It must be clothing stores. You have to try on the clothes, and shoes. Each shoe brand is different.

Amazon is opening up HQs, and warehouses everywhere. At some point, they may as well let customers come to warehouse pick up their items. It will save them gas. Which effectively turns them into a brick and mortar store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2020, 07:13 AM

23,908 posts, read 33,696,660 times
The Bank of America near me recently redid their drive thru to have 2 ATM's, no more drive up window service. It didn't look like they got rid of any tellers, you could still go inside if you needed to. They also have 3 or 4 people with desk jobs.

I used another BOA in the next town over, they still had drive up window service and only 1 ATM.

Haven't seen any other banks close here in South Jersey.

Old 02-02-2020, 07:59 AM

26,199 posts, read 21,682,418 times
They will reduce in numbers but I don’t see a path where they all go away

Old 02-02-2020, 01:23 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,283,420 times
I saw an interesting variation in the backwoods of MO. It looked like an ATM but was bigger and had a video screen so you could talk with a teller based who-knows-where.

I haven't had an account at a brick-and-mortar branch in years. Was not impressed with Bank of America- their tellers didn't seem to be empowered to do much except push paper when I was closing down my late husband's checking account- just told me what forms to fill in so they could move them on, with no details or timeline. They had ONE notary. If she was on vacation, too bad. The Bank of America branch in my small downtown (city population about 30,000) closed down in favor of an existing branch in a nasty-to-navigate triangle between a couple of divided highways and close to Wal-Mart. They told me that the building in town had been a bank branch for over 50 years.

Old 02-02-2020, 03:08 PM

37,721 posts, read 46,178,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Will bank branches (brick and mortar locations) ever go away, or are they here to stay?

I guess as long as their is still cash, then there has to be bank branches. I found some articles two to three years old stating they are here to stay.

https://www.business.att.com/learn/t...oing-away.html

https://bankingblog.accenture.com/ba...way?lang=en_US

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN10X0D6

If they are here to stay, but just dwindling in total number, how they determine which branch is staying put? Is it total deposits at the branch? Why not just combine total deposits at another location?

If bank branches are here to stay, then what else are here to stay? It must be clothing stores. You have to try on the clothes, and shoes. Each shoe brand is different.

Amazon is opening up HQs, and warehouses everywhere. At some point, they may as well let customers come to warehouse pick up their items. It will save them gas. Which effectively turns them into a brick and mortar store.
You say “ here to stay” as if they are something new.

Banks, and their local offices, have been around forever (practically). They aren’t going away.

Old 02-02-2020, 05:05 PM

5,908 posts, read 4,453,713 times
Forever is a long time.

Personally, I’ve been to a chase branch 3 times in 8 years. To open my accounts, to get a for a money order for rent deposit, and to get a money order for a hold on a house.

In other words, if everyone started to act like I do, they would cease to exist, especially if future generations are more even more internet based. I don’t see why even the things I did go in for couldn’t be done online.

But at today’s rates of use, I’m sure they’re not going anywhere.

Old 02-02-2020, 06:14 PM

37,721 posts, read 46,178,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Forever is a long time.

Personally, I’ve been to a chase branch 3 times in 8 years. To open my accounts, to get a for a money order for rent deposit, and to get a money order for a hold on a house.

In other words, if everyone started to act like I do, they would cease to exist, especially if future generations are more even more internet based. I don’t see why even the things I did go in for couldn’t be done online.

I've been to a branch much more than that. I have a safe deposit box that I use, maybe 3 or 4 times a year. I have to do some banking for my parents that requires a teller. And I have had to straighten out two completely screwed up deposits, inside the branch of one of my credit unions. I actually had to visit 2 branches before I got it all straight. And sometimes I have some things that I simply prefer to do at the branch - frankly it's just easier for me - I have a ton of local branches.

I did open a HELOC a couple of years ago and I was their very first loan that was done completely online - I only had to come in to sign some papers and pick up some things.

Old 02-02-2020, 09:08 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,034,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Forever is a long time.

The articles I posted actually state that the younger generations are more likely to go into bank branches. they want a face to face discussion on finances, and banking services. I guess because they are new, they want to feel safe, and a person is best way to ensure.

Old 02-02-2020, 09:13 PM

8,553 posts, read 4,807,111 times
I hope they stay. Online stuff is convenient for light transactions but not great for big ones. Plus, ATM fees when you’re away. Bleagh. Imagine that all the time, and also never having a bank branch.

Not unlike how I feel about retail sales. There’s little I’d rather buy online vs at a real store.

Old 02-02-2020, 10:07 PM

10,379 posts, read 8,619,613 times
I keep seeing new branches opening up all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics