Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 03:28 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,032,508 times

Advertisements

In all my years, I have never seen the HVAC industry so dead. It slows down every autumn but then picks up after a few weeks. It’s almost March and it has not yet picked up.

The two largest companies in a Maryland have one or two installs a week. Guys are getting 11 hours a week.

What’s the deal with the economy? Why are people not spending money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2020, 05:09 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,047,770 times
I bought a new electric furnace in 2019. If I had had the foresight to buy a spare fan relay when I replaced it on the furnace many years ago, I could have kept the old furnace running. But then, if I could predict the future, I would be writing Jean Dixon's column for The National Enquirer.

Old 02-28-2020, 06:26 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Better quality so they last longer? We did a new roof and all new windows in the last year, so we are contributing to the economy, just not the HVAC industry. In our climate 1-2 window AC units work fine for the few hot weeks we get in summer.
I have a friend who handles the HVAC at a local community college and he has had plenty of work. Others in new construction are hiring more help to keep up with the Seattle condos and apartments underway. Perhaps the slump you are seeing is just in residential.

Old 02-28-2020, 07:08 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,423,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Better quality so they last longer?
There is always no shortage of putz (plural) that never change their filters and call emergency when their A/C lines freeze or the furnace shuts down for low air flow.

Otherwise I assume capacitors still fail on A/C units and flame sensors still get dirty and fail on furnaces and other high volume failures.

Old 02-28-2020, 07:15 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
In all my years, I have never seen the HVAC industry so dead. It slows down every autumn but then picks up after a few weeks. It’s almost March and it has not yet picked up.

The two largest companies in a Maryland have one or two installs a week. Guys are getting 11 hours a week.

I don’t think it has anything to do with the economy. The laws with respect to R22 changed starting on 1/1, so many people who were hoping to change out their HVAC systems to avoid issues with recharging their older units have already replaced them. Replacing Freon had already became much more expensive as the phaseout process was happening.

Old 02-28-2020, 11:25 AM

242 posts, read 206,544 times
Mild winter? Wait until summer.

Old 02-28-2020, 11:32 AM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
That must be a local condition. There is no slowdown here and I had to make an appointment 2 1/2 weeks in advance just to get salesman out. Not the install, just the guy to see what I need and to give me a quote. it might be another month after that before I can get the actual unit.

It's another week and a half before I can find out if they even want the job.

Old 02-28-2020, 11:54 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,956,605 times
Everyone has heat. But if you don't have central air, it's about a $6000 cost to get it, provided you already have forced air duct work for your heat. Not everyone can afford that. Portable air conditioners are very efficient and cheap, and you can cool areas selectively, instead of cooling your whole house. It may take years of energy use to recoup the initial investment for central air.
Quote:

Last edited by bobspez; 02-28-2020 at 12:37 PM..

Old 02-28-2020, 12:32 PM

24,508 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:

Your fiance is in HVAC. Should he not be the person to talk to? In my area geothermal is popular. Seems to need very little maintenance just nips you a bit up front.
For a lot of areas it was not a bad winter thus people hold off with "scare maintenance".

Old 02-28-2020, 02:00 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,032,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Better quality so they last longer? We did a new roof and all new windows in the last year, so we are contributing to the economy, just not the HVAC industry. In our climate 1-2 window AC units work fine for the few hot weeks we get in summer.
I have a friend who handles the HVAC at a local community college and he has had plenty of work. Others in new construction are hiring more help to keep up with the Seattle condos and apartments underway. Perhaps the slump you are seeing is just in residential.
It is residential that I am noticing the slow down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics