Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 12:35 PM

4,257 posts, read 2,485,426 times

Advertisements

Hey, remember all that talk about U.S. energy independence and "Saudi America?" What a farce that was. The shale oil industry has never been able to make a profit, and they are drowning in debt. Now they drastically cutting production.

The U.S. shale oil industry that was supposed to be responsible for our energy independence is in the beginning stages of collapse.
According to the Baker Hughes rig count, since last year U.S. rigs have declined from 701 to 253.
https://rigcount.bakerhughes.com/

Remember: energy runs the economy. GDP growth is only achieved by energy production/consumption growth, and oil is the chief energy source today. No oil production growth = no GDP growth. No GDP growth means that this global, debt based pyramid scheme comes crashing down.

Without shale oil, US oil production since 2006 would have remained flat. US shale oil has been responsible for 75% of the global increase in oil production since 2008.

Bailing oit the shale oil industry will only add another layer of bankruptcy to the US government. And even if they do get bailed out, their 50% annual decline rate is not a long-term sustainable business model, unless the Federal Reserve can print more oil reserves, that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2020, 12:45 PM

5,908 posts, read 4,451,542 times
An oil price ceiling is a dollar floor....an oil price floor...is a dollar...

I’ll help you out...ceiling. Dollar strength means the federal reserve has options for QE. Inevitably, the congress will pass a historic infrastructure bill, and the fed will provide the debt for it. Cheap oil prices will drive the economy forward.

Systems are often self correcting.

Last edited by Thatsright19; 07-23-2020 at 01:04 PM..

Old 07-23-2020, 12:51 PM

107,004 posts, read 109,295,440 times
I think if he ever had anything positive posted I would be shocked

Old 07-23-2020, 01:27 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,609,982 times
Indeed. The prepared remarks of Bill Thomas, CEO of EOG Resources that are to be given to the 19th annual US Shale Summit were leaked yesterday:

"Our industry is collapsing. There will be no more energy soon and that will destroy our economy, government, and way of life. Our people will be fighting in the streets over a can of beans, and I expect cannibalism of dead relatives to become an accepted norm. Everything basically sucks."

Old 07-23-2020, 01:36 PM

5,908 posts, read 4,451,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Indeed. The prepared remarks of Bill Thomas, CEO of EOG Resources that are to be given to the 19th annual US Shale Summit were leaked yesterday:

"Our industry is collapsing. There will be no more energy soon and that will destroy our economy, government, and way of life. Our people will be fighting in the streets over a can of beans, and I expect cannibalism of dead relatives to become an accepted norm. Everything basically sucks."

Love it.

Old 07-23-2020, 02:41 PM

4,257 posts, read 2,485,426 times
Quote:

It'll be like Mad Max, but without all the gasoline.

Old 07-23-2020, 04:43 PM

19,927 posts, read 18,219,184 times
Quote:

Got a belly laugh out of that........thank you!

Old 07-23-2020, 05:15 PM

191 posts, read 91,812 times
There needs to be policy behind US "energy independence". We ended up building an oversupply of gas and oil to export to a world in the midst of a trade war and then Covid. "America First" is pretty ironic and pretty unfocused.

Old 07-23-2020, 05:20 PM

18,874 posts, read 8,527,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
An oil price ceiling is a dollar floor....an oil price floor...is a dollar...

I’ll help you out...ceiling. Dollar strength means the federal reserve has options for QE. Inevitably, the congress will pass a historic infrastructure bill, and the fed will provide the debt for it. Cheap oil prices will drive the economy forward.

Systems are often self correcting.
The Fed could conceivably provide the money to buy the related lagging debt.

https://www.google.com/search?source...4dUDCAg&uact=5

Old 07-23-2020, 06:50 PM

3,815 posts, read 5,359,302 times
Quote:

Cannibalism, eh?

Well, better buy Heinz or McCormick stock then I suppose. Great Grandpa might need some spicing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics