Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 12:47 PM

190 posts, read 246,865 times

Advertisements

Its not like the pennies can be used here in the USA. What can I actually do with the pennies?

Also, is there a currency exchange somewhere that I can go to and get the USA penny for Canadian penny? Am I able to do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 12:50 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Of course you can use them in the US. Just mix 'em in with US coins. In theory, of course, Canadian coins are not legal tender in the US, but Canadian 1 cent, 10 cent, and 25 cent pieces are commonly accepted by human cashiers without even looking at 'em. Vending machines may not accept them as they may be slightly different in dimensions.

Now if you try to use a Canadian $1 coin or half-cent you probably won't be successful.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:56 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinglyme22 View Post
Its not like the pennies can be used here in the USA. What can I actually do with the pennies?

Also, is there a currency exchange somewhere that I can go to and get the USA penny for Canadian penny? Am I able to do that?
I'm in Minnesota - Canadian coinage freely circulates here to the extent that when you see a Canadian coin in your change it is completely unremarkable. They don't work in vending machines, and you can't spend them in bulk, but if you hand a cashier exact change for something and it includes a Canadian coin or two, they'll be accepted.

Odds are the cashier won't even notice, but if so no one bats an eye over it anyway.

Note:
One of the more interesting coins I've found in circulation was a 1942 Newfoundland penny. At that time, Newfoundland was still a British dominion and not yet a part of the Canadian federation (until 1949). It had its own coinage.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:12 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
Canadian tourists here in Florida are fond of slipping Canadian shrapnel in the mix when paying at a checkout or tipping servers on the rare occasion that they tip.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:24 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
How many pennies are we talking about? My general rule for pennies is i toss em as they are worthless and just end up as useless pocket or jar fillers.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:04 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinglyme22 View Post

we used to get canadian coins in new england; they are practically the same as u.s.a. money.
now that most stores accept cards, i rarely deal with change.

would you mind explaining your situation.
do you have a boat-load of canadian pennies somehow. they no longer mint them in canada because they cost too much to make. in the past 5 years, i havent seen more than 100 u.s.a. or canadian pennies cumulatively. what store is refusing to accept them; maybe they dont want to accept 300 unrolled pennies for a cup of coffee because it takes too long to count when you have a line of waiting customers ?

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 04-01-2017 at 10:16 AM..

Old 04-01-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Note:
One of the more interesting coins I've found in circulation was a 1942 Newfoundland penny. At that time, Newfoundland was still a British dominion and not yet a part of the Canadian federation (until 1949). It had its own coinage.
i always thought that canada was still technically part of england; they still have queen elizabeth on their quarters.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:20 AM

401 posts, read 426,083 times
Canada is phasing out the penny, last time we were in Canada 2015 retail would not take them, we had about 100 pennies from trips over the years.

Phasing out the penny

Old 04-01-2017, 03:23 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Of course you can use them in the US. Just mix 'em in with US coins. In theory, of course, Canadian coins are not legal tender in the US, but Canadian 1 cent, 10 cent, and 25 cent pieces are commonly accepted by human cashiers without even looking at 'em. Vending machines may not accept them as they may be slightly different in dimensions.

Now if you try to use a Canadian $1 coin or half-cent you probably won't be successful.
WOW! You can not just mix them in with U.S. money! Foreign money is NOT accepted here for payment

You have to find a U.S. Bank that will exchange it for you. Some of the larger banks such as Wells Fargo and Bank of America do exchange foreign currency. All you have to do is call.

Where to Exchange Foreign Currency for U.S Currency | USA Today

Old 04-01-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
WOW! You can not just mix them in with U.S. money! Foreign money is NOT accepted here for payment

You have to find a U.S. Bank that will exchange it for you. Some of the larger banks such as Wells Fargo and Bank of America do exchange foreign currency. All you have to do is call.

Where to Exchange Foreign Currency for U.S Currency | USA Today
april fools, obviously <@

in the small possibility this is serious, is it really worth it to go to the bank to swap pennies ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics