Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 10:17 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times

Advertisements

I have not received any of the stimulus money. Neither check/ card last year or the 1400 this year. I may have thrwn out the first one as junk mail. I did get to tell them that I didn't get any, on my tax form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2021, 01:04 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm not a fan of them, personally; time for people to get back to work and life. Of course, if they're handing out free money in spite of my opinion, I'll take my share (I pay taxes, after all). But if they're GOING to do it, do it sensibly (the check was fine).
Says the person who is going to retire rather than return to her office now that her employer will no longer let her "work" from home.

Old 05-11-2021, 01:22 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
If it ever does, I'll certainly be grateful.

Okay; why am I being charged over $50 for a "product" when I attempt "free eFile"?
Operator error. Go back and read the filing options more carefully. You do not need to buy anything. I have filed using IRS-supplied free fillable forms options for years. Never cost me a dime.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-11-2021 at 02:45 PM..

Old 05-11-2021, 01:26 PM

2,747 posts, read 1,782,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Operator error. Go back and read the filing options again. You do not need to buy anything. I have filed using IRS-supplied free fillable forms option for years. Never cost me a dime.
That would derive them the pleasure of complaining and might require some modicum of personal responsibility. You're asking way too much.

Old 05-11-2021, 01:38 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
That would derive them the pleasure of complaining and might require some modicum of personal responsibility. You're asking way too much.
Unfortunately, you're right. Many people's default assumption is that their troubles are someone else's fault.

Old 05-11-2021, 01:58 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Says the person who is going to retire rather than return to her office now that her employer will no longer let her "work" from home.
I have reasons other than COVID for wishing to continue working from home. But thanks for chiming in!

Old 05-11-2021, 10:38 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
I got a debit card for $600 and figured that was that. Congress was squabbling about another payment or something so I didn't pay too much attention. Then several weeks or months later got a letter telling me I should have received my SECOND payment of $600, which I hadn't. I didn't even know there were two payments.

I recently got $1400 direct deposit followed by a letter telling me of that fact.

So are there two or three payments?

I filled out a form telling them I never got the SECOND payment. Today I got a letter back saying to contact the company which issued the debit card. They also enclosed the same damned claim form to fill out again but I have no idea why!

Old 05-12-2021, 07:09 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,818,992 times
I also never received any stimulus for 2020 or 2021 even though I am eligible. My problem was with my 2018 return had a minor glitch and was not processed until THIS YEAR. Then I couldn't e-file my 2019 return, had to send via paper in 2020 during the pandemic. That return has not been processed yet (though they cashed my payment). I JUST got my 2020 refund today. It included the 2020 stimulus since I filed for that.

So now I'm waiting on my 2021 stimulus. Should I file a 1040-X amended return for the missing stimulus? Prefer not to wait until 2022 to get it.

Old 05-12-2021, 07:18 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
I DO normally file taxes and actually PAY every year rather than get a refund (which is why the IRS doesn't have my direct deposit info); I work full-time and am, in fact, retiring this month.

I don't believe I can file free online if I owe; isn't that for refunds only? I usually just file the old-fashioned way (on paper).

The question remains: WHY have I not gotten my second or third checks???

Seems there should be some accountability here...

No one knows why you never got your last 2 stimulus payments. Could have been sent a card but I doubt it because you also would have been sent a letter confirming those 2 payments that you have not mentioned, so I assume, no letter, no payment.

Let us know how the e-filing goes. I've never done it, my kids do. It's free for everyone, even if you owe. I'd hate to see you miss out, you only have a few more days to file online. Try H&R block if the IRS site isn't playing nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykcawtsrif View Post
You've been warned: My answer is not very nice.

This is 2021. Everybody should have direct deposit. It's just common damn sense.

I'm harsh, I know, but I have no sympathy for people who waited seemingly an eternity to receive a check or debit card in the mail from the IRS. No sympathy at all! You're willing to wait a while to receive a refund check in the mail during normal times (which, by the way, is less secure than any electronic method available), then you deserve to wait for a stimulus payment due to intentionally slowed postal delivery (which isn't the postal service's fault, by the way).

The only people I'd cut some slack for are 90-year-olds who weren't raised with computers, and some with various intellectual and physical disabilities who may have difficulty using modern technology. That's about it.

For additional context, my ideas about stimuli during economic recessions are pretty liberal, and the US should've, in my view, been issuing stimulus payments to all citizens monthly from March 2020 and later, as many EU countries, Australia, the UK, etc. have swiftly done.

For example, in Australia, direct deposit may be mandatory, I don't know. But one supplies the ATO with their tax ID number, usually when filing taxes online. In my case, I had a refund in less than a week. Filing taxes is much easier and much less cumbersome in Australia than in the US. I believe this is the same method through which Australians have been paid stimulus monies throughout the pandemic, and how stimuli were able to be issued so fast and consistently throughout. Yes, even the old people I met down there talked about not bothering with paperwork, because they didn't have to.

In other words...checks are so 1993, and don't be afraid to give the "gubmint" your direct deposit details.

Your whole post has nothing to do with the OP.

As I said in my reply, she's been posting in the stimulus threads all along. If I remember correctly, she tried to do the "get my money" site, but they didn't recognize her for some reason, so she's been patiently waiting for her check or card. It's not a case where she's not giving them her banking info, she doesn't get that far to give them her banking info. They do not have it because like us, she owes income taxes every year. They do not save checking account routing numbers for people that pay by a personal check.

Old 05-12-2021, 09:22 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times
Quote:
I haven't received my second OR third checks in the mail (I never receive a tax refund, so the government can't direct deposit; I didn't realize until recently that I could submit that info to them). When I try to track them on the IRS site, I get a form reply that says I'm either not eligible for it or it hasn't been processed yet (neither can be the case) and see no link, contact info, or option for pursuing it further. Short of claiming it on my upcoming taxes, what recourse do I have?
My daughter didn't receive her first check and kept checking the IRS site and repeatedly got this same not helpful message. She emailed her Congressional representative and asked for help. Her Congressional representative responded by having an assistant call her a few days later. The assistant had the name of a real live representative from the IRS and explained that the IRS rep would be calling her and reassured her that it was OK to share any personal info like SSN if she was asked by that person. She received a call from the IRS later that day who determined that there was an error on their side and she received her check the following week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics