Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 08:24 PM

13,663 posts, read 9,730,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
ITA. I hear all the time about supposedly lazy people who won't take every crap ass job at every low salary that is posted. How about raising wages and increasing benefits a bit? Competition works more than one way. Its just that this time businesses have to compete for workers.
A stable society resembles the iceberg: eight ninths has to be below the water-line. If the bottom-end of the workforce is suddenly earning $20/hour, that pushes cost on everything... and eventually strains the purchasing-power of those who make $100/hour. Raise the iceberg too far above its natural water-line, and eventually it comes crashing back down... perhaps even in pieces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2021, 08:30 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,493,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
A stable society resembles the iceberg: eight ninths has to be below the water-line. If the bottom-end of the workforce is suddenly earning $20/hour, that pushes cost on everything... and eventually strains the purchasing-power of those who make $100/hour. Raise the iceberg too far above its natural water-line, and eventually it comes crashing back down... perhaps even in pieces.
Sez who exactly? Inflation is a by product of capitalism. We controlled it to the point where there was no wage growth and we created a billionaire class and replaced union jobs with the gig economy.

Our society has been destabilized by wage deflation for decades.

Old 09-03-2021, 08:33 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,493,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Are we talking about wanted ads posted on brick and mortar businesses? Those have been shutting down for years, why will someone answer that ad when they could be out of business in like 4 months?

If these are for hire ads on the internet like on Indeed, or Monster, you must take with grain of salt. Those almost never amount to anything. Back prior to and during the GFC, those websites were just collecting info on people, and sending them to bogus interviews.
I am in life sciences and there is widespread competition for experienced lab workers who were previously being paid 15/hr. They are no showing on their first day.

Old 09-03-2021, 08:42 PM

14,409 posts, read 14,329,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I talked about raising wages and benefits a bit. Not raising them to $20 an hour. It is a false dichotomy to suggest wages either have to be $9 an hour or $20. They can be in between.

Old 09-04-2021, 05:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,009,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
ITA. I hear all the time about supposedly lazy people who won't take every crap ass job at every low salary that is posted. How about raising wages and increasing benefits a bit? Competition works more than one way. Its just that this time businesses have to compete for workers.
That sounds great!

Just remember that when you increase entry level job pay, you need to increase EVERYONE'S pay. Then you have to also increase prices to the customers.

Good times!

Old 09-04-2021, 05:47 AM

Quote:
You can save yourself a lot of money by simply doing some of these menial entry level jobs yourself. If you are too busy with the admin work then your "small" business is booming, and should have enough to attract workers with more pay.

Where are you noticing local businesses being understaffed? I have not seen any of this.

Brick and Mortar was shutting down long before Covid-19, and the stimulus enacted.

Where be these restaurants that cant stay open? Perhaps with all the commercial vacancies driving rent down, a lot of these cooks, and waitstaff probably decided they can make more for themselves, and do better by opening up their own joints. But I sure the owners who they used to work for can cook, clean, and serve all by themselves. So if the food is any good, these restaurants ought to be fine.
WHAT? Where on earth do you live? This thread is full of stories everywhere of places closing down due to a lack of staff. The jobs report was terrible.

By the way, I can't build a fire pit or dig up my flower beds or my yard or install hot water heaters or an HVAC - besides not having the know how or not wanting to reinvent the wheel, I have a badly broken dominant elbow.

Old 09-04-2021, 05:49 AM

Quote:

If these are for hire ads on the internet like on Indeed, or Monster, you must take with grain of salt. Those almost never amount to anything. Back prior to and during the GFC, those websites were just collecting info on people, and sending them to bogus interviews.
Really? I got my last job from online postings on Indeed.

And actually I got five interviews and five job offers, and had to choose between the real jobs.

Old 09-04-2021, 07:02 AM

21,953 posts, read 9,528,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Why do people always default to people being lazy? lol Why is it that you're either a hard working middle class citizen or you are lazy and on the governments dime. lol

Can we please stop this inaccurate narrative? Perhaps employers should be more competitive with the Gig-working economy. People have had time to find other streams of income. I know tons of people who when laid off, decided to work for themselves.

I'm pretty sure the people out of work knew that unemployment would end and would have gotten a job before that happens.

Or do you think these people are so lazy that they don't even care if their benefits end?
I guess we will see when they end the unemployment benefits this month.

Old 09-04-2021, 07:04 AM

21,953 posts, read 9,528,167 times
Well, get used to it if Joe passes his huge handouts for nothing $3.5 T spending bill. Incompetence and short staffs are going to be the way of the future.

Old 09-04-2021, 07:54 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,065,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Well, get used to it if Joe passes his huge handouts for nothing $3.5 T spending bill. Incompetence and short staffs are going to be the way of the future.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/our...t-great-reset/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics