Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2021, 08:57 AM

1,766 posts, read 1,224,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
ITA. I hear all the time about supposedly lazy people who won't take every crap ass job at every low salary that is posted. How about raising wages and increasing benefits a bit? Competition works more than one way. Its just that this time businesses have to compete for workers.
Just by reading most of the comments here you can see that everyone is in a La La Land. Global economy has been permanently damaged and the only reason we are not in a full blown depression right now is because of all that panic money printing and helicopter money. But those effects are already diminishing and deflationary forces are taking over again.

Think about this for a moment, if things were so great and we really had labor shortage than those businesses would have no problem offering higher wages and attracting workers. The real truth is that things are not great at all, our economy has been permanently broken, damaged and the only thing that keeps us away from deflation and full blown depression is money printing and FED manipulation.

The Fed needs to capitulate and admit that ZIRP is a failure, raise interest rates and allow bankruptcies and defaults to run wild. 20 years of bubble making, economic madness and insanity needs to end!!!!

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2021, 10:02 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,488,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
Just by reading most of the comments here you can see that everyone is in a La La Land. Global economy has been permanently damaged and the only reason we are not in a full blown depression right now is because of all that panic money printing and helicopter money. But those effects are already diminishing and deflationary forces are taking over again.

Think about this for a moment, if things were so great and we really had labor shortage than those businesses would have no problem offering higher wages and attracting workers. The real truth is that things are not great at all, our economy has been permanently broken, damaged and the only thing that keeps us away from deflation and full blown depression is money printing and FED manipulation.

The Fed needs to capitulate and admit that ZIRP is a failure, raise interest rates and allow bankruptcies and defaults to run wild. 20 years of bubble making, economic madness and insanity needs to end!!!!

Good Luck!
Amazon, Walmart, Target and Costco have no problem paying much higher wages and offering benefits. I’m not sure I agree with your assessment. Maybe you are talking about small family owned type of retail and service business? Yes they are in big trouble due to the intense consolidation of those industries into a few mega corps.

Old 09-04-2021, 10:18 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,966,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSD1995 View Post
I am in life sciences and there is widespread competition for experienced lab workers who were previously being paid 15/hr. They are no showing on their first day.
Do you have something more definitive like an article from some life science magazine? What company at least? Is your company willing to pay for all the training?

Maybe the $15/hr was for for H1B visa cheap labor, and priced out all the Americans years ago. Anyone with that education likely cant pay back their student loans anyways. So either they never went that route, or found something pays more. Hence not enough people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
WHAT? Where on earth do you live? This thread is full of stories everywhere of places closing down due to a lack of staff. The jobs report was terrible.

By the way, I can't build a fire pit or dig up my flower beds or my yard or install hot water heaters or an HVAC - besides not having the know how or not wanting to reinvent the wheel, I have a badly broken dominant elbow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Really? I got my last job from online postings on Indeed.

And actually I got five interviews and five job offers, and had to choose between the real jobs.
LOL more anecdotal stories of "WOE is me, worker shortages abound"

What is the name of your govt lobby?

Tell me specifically where is the labor shortage then. Why didnt you state where? Give yourself some credibility. I have not seen this labor shortage anywhere I go.

Old 09-04-2021, 10:44 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,847,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't know what you do.

The enhanced benefits have been cut off here in TN for quite some time. Even then, "now hiring" signs are everywhere. Any sort of contractor/trade type work is booked out weeks, maybe even months, in advance.

My girlfriend came into an inheritance recently. She's been trying to get a plumber out to get an estimate on plumbing the basement in rural western NC for months now. You can't even get someone to come out and give you an estimate.
And you're in East TN, right? This is very true in Metro Nashville, as well.

Heck, I moved to another suburb last summer and was looking for a new hair stylist. I lost count of how many I called to schedule an appointment, multiple times, before any of them called me back. Most never returned my calls.

I called landscapers. Most never got back to me. Called contractors to get quotes for a couple of jobs. If they ever returned my calls, it took weeks. I've left messages with a few places to get my car detailed. Crickets.

Old 09-04-2021, 02:14 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,490,397 times
You cant just call,you have to go there and talk to them.

Old 09-04-2021, 04:03 PM

1,766 posts, read 1,224,611 times
Quote:
Amazon, Walmart, Target and Costco have no problem paying much higher wages and offering benefits. I’m not sure I agree with your assessment. Maybe you are talking about small family owned type of retail and service business? Yes they are in big trouble due to the intense consolidation of those industries into a few mega corps.
Here is the simply truth.....there is no economic recovery and it can never be unless we go thru Deflation and Depression first. Since last February, there just haven’t been nearly enough jobs coming back (let alone created) such that millions of formerly employed Americans still aren’t employed and are no longer even looking while, statistically speaking, every single one of these new potential workers who came of age couldn’t join the labor market/force, either.
The unemployment rate last month tumbled another 0.2 points and is lower by almost a full point in just the last three months.

Janet Yellen spoke the truth once and said the following;
“But when we see diminished labor force participation among prime-age men and women, that suggests something that is not just demographic. And so my personal view is that a portion of the decline in labor force participation we have seen is a kind of hidden slack or unemployment.”

Hidden slack isn’t actually hidden, it is conveniently dismissed as a LABOR SHORTAGE!!!! which sounds so much better, so much more recovery and inflationist.

Old 09-04-2021, 04:50 PM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
You care to work 3rd shift on what is called seasonal with the option to be perm? Most are part time.

Old 09-04-2021, 04:54 PM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't know what you do.

The enhanced benefits have been cut off here in TN for quite some time. Even then, "now hiring" signs are everywhere. Any sort of contractor/trade type work is booked out weeks, maybe even months, in advance.

My girlfriend came into an inheritance recently. She's been trying to get a plumber out to get an estimate on plumbing the basement in rural western NC for months now. You can't even get someone to come out and give you an estimate.
We gave up on a new custom built. Chatting with individual builders in our not very cookie cutter neighborhood - brick layers are book for 9-12 months, painters 12 months plus, do not look for a plumber unless you date one or are family.

Fast food and US chains are offering 16+ and immediate benefits and sign on bonuses for unskilled labor.

Old 09-04-2021, 08:40 PM

5,330 posts, read 6,025,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post

"If you value your right to public health, to privacy, to access healthy food or to democratic representation, be wary of the words 'stakeholder capitalism’ when they pop up at the next Davos summit."

I'll be dead before the U.S. adopts those rights.

Old 09-05-2021, 06:39 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,488,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
Here is the simply truth.....there is no economic recovery and it can never be unless we go thru Deflation and Depression first. Since last February, there just haven’t been nearly enough jobs coming back (let alone created) such that millions of formerly employed Americans still aren’t employed and are no longer even looking while, statistically speaking, every single one of these new potential workers who came of age couldn’t join the labor market/force, either.
The unemployment rate last month tumbled another 0.2 points and is lower by almost a full point in just the last three months.

Janet Yellen spoke the truth once and said the following;
“But when we see diminished labor force participation among prime-age men and women, that suggests something that is not just demographic. And so my personal view is that a portion of the decline in labor force participation we have seen is a kind of hidden slack or unemployment.”

Hidden slack isn’t actually hidden, it is conveniently dismissed as a LABOR SHORTAGE!!!! which sounds so much better, so much more recovery and inflationist.
We've been seeing both a declining labor participation rate and declining share of GDP from labor starting 30+ years ago. What is the incentive to "blow up" the economy and risk the wealth of every homeowner and stockholder in the world?

Basically what you are seeing in the labor market is essentially a strike or labor revolt, albeit market based and very effective.

The people who need to pay mortgages will find a way to generate an income or max out their federal and state emergency funds. There is also is a major portion of the population that doesn't really need to work full-time, doesn't need a minimum wage job, and manages to survive. Millions of people. A lot of poeple over the last decade have been able to transition from generating incomes through full-time jobs, either through gig economy on both high and low end, self-employment, or owning income-generating assets (i.e. real estate).

I just don't understand your position, mass global deflation would destroy all the wealth in the middle and lower class and that would threaten to break down social order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics