Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 11:13 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,758,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I know a man who is probably on the government's "non-working" list. He is a handyman who can do anything and everything. He is constantly working, but he accepts only cash. What he does with it isn't my business. I'm not the government's spy. Maybe he reports it. Maybe not. I don't care. The guy is constantly working on a project for somebody. He's honest, so everybody trusts him and hires him as their Fix-It Guy. We've had him do several smaller jobs for us.

He doesn't take welfare, food stamps or any other government assistance. He's loaded and has plenty of jobs lined up. His work ethic is impeccable. Just because he isn't on the government's employment list, doesn't mean he's a bum.
If he's not reporting income, how will he collect Social Security?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2021, 12:04 AM

30,901 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
If he's not reporting income, how will he collect Social Security?
He won't.

Most people think short term about money. The 'get by for now' mindset is the default program in most people's brains.

Old 10-04-2021, 11:05 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,054,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
Sitting on a bench with my daughter and a young girl at a picnic. This morbidly obese young walks up and talks to the girl. He was celebrating. He got his social security disability for being so fat that of course brought on other health problems. That was his plan, not to work. by eating himself into an entitlement.

Success.

Also remember being in social services in Johnstown Pennsylvania. One of my clients was sitting on a bridge railing opposite where I stopped for the traffic light. She was bragging that she was a third generation welfare recipient just like her mother and grandmother. She never worked although she worked the system for all it was worth. Yes. All she had to do was to make some babies and she was on easy street. And her entitlements.

Success.

As long as some of us were willing to work and the govn't keeps devaluing the dollar, these two have got a good thing going.
And what I keep asking about, which nobody seems to answer, why is it that the original article, the title of this thread, and most of the posters attack people like the man in the above paragraph, but seem ok with the woman in the above paragraph?

Old 10-04-2021, 11:37 PM

30,901 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
And what I keep asking about, which nobody seems to answer, why is it that the original article, the title of this thread, and most of the posters attack people like the man in the above paragraph, but seem ok with the woman in the above paragraph?
Because we're acting out our evolutionary biology. Contrary to feminist dogma, the program in our brains is for men to earn and provide and women to take care of children. Modern society hasn't erased our evolutionary programming.

Old 10-05-2021, 01:25 AM

10,069 posts, read 7,247,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
Sitting on a bench with my daughter and a young girl at a picnic. This morbidly obese young walks up and talks to the girl. He was celebrating. He got his social security disability for being so fat that of course brought on other health problems. That was his plan, not to work. by eating himself into an entitlement.

Success.

Also remember being in social services in Johnstown Pennsylvania. One of my clients was sitting on a bridge railing opposite where I stopped for the traffic light. She was bragging that she was a third generation welfare recipient just like her mother and grandmother. She never worked although she worked the system for all it was worth. Yes. All she had to do was to make some babies and she was on easy street. And her entitlements.

Success.

As long as some of us were willing to work and the govn't keeps devaluing the dollar, these two have got a good thing going.
Morbidly obese people will be dead before long.

Old 10-05-2021, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Morbidly obese people will be dead before long.
I know plenty of morbidly obese people who lived into their 90s, and plenty of healthy weight people who died young. It really is random.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:11 AM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Unfortunately, they produce absolutely nothing tangible.
Like a McDonalds hamburger?

Old 10-05-2021, 07:27 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,321,986 times
Quote:
I know plenty of morbidly obese people who lived into their 90s, and plenty of healthy weight people who died young. It really is random.
Being obese on the average will reduce life expectancy from between five to twenty years.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/obesi...alth%20problem.

I've also seen personal examples among extended family members that validate this. One particularly obese member of my extended family died at age 60 after spending her last two years of life in a care facility.

What I've observed over the years is that people who who succeed in life make a choice to work and to accomplish something here on earth. They enjoy time with their family and leisure, but they also understand there is a connection between work and leisure. Work makes leisure time and most of things we enjoy in life possible. But it is deeper than that. I think most of us would choose to work and accomplish something even if we had an alternative like being paid for doing nothing.

I feel sorry for people who want to live on public assistance or social security disability. Unless you truly suffer from a serious disability that is not self-imposed it shows me that the person has no desire to be a productive member of society. Society has always had to deal with a certain number of people that I would describe as bums, tramps, beatniks, or loafers. What complicates the problem is that we also have to deal with people I will describe as the "deserving poor". While some choose not to work, most do not wish to be poor, but are in the midst of difficult circumstances. Sometimes, jobs do not exist. Other jobs may be available in abundance, but do not pay a living wage. Others are held back by racial prejudice, sexism, poor health, prejudice against LGBTQ people, and lack of job skills.

It leads to me to make different choices in life. I will seldom hand money to anyone panhandling. Yet, I do pay taxes and support assistance to the deserving poor. Its a complicated world.

Old 10-05-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Being obese on the average will reduce life expectancy from between five to twenty years.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/obesi...alth%20problem.

I've also seen personal examples among extended family members that validate this. One particularly obese member of my extended family died at age 60 after spending her last two years of life in a care facility.
I've observed the opposite. I've seen people who are morbidly obese and who smoke who live into their 90s. And I've seen people who are healthy weight who do everything healthy, and get unlucky and die young from cancer or from a car accident. All you can do is stack the deck. If a deck has 8 Aces and 1 deuce, that doesn't mean you won't get unlucky and draw the deuce. I wonder if people who make a lot of sacrifices to be "healthy" and then die of cancer or a car accident ever wish they enjoyed their life a little more, knowing that their sacrifices did not lead to a longer life.

Old 10-05-2021, 12:43 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,154,082 times
Quote:
I don't think *most* posters are okay with the woman described above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics