Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 10:48 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,306,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You don't say?

As myself and several other knowledgeable posters repeatedly pointed out, automation is effectively nothing happening very slowly.

Automation is a long-term process. 10 years is not long-term. Neither is 20 years.

The rate of job growth will always out-pace the rate of automation.

Automation creates more jobs than it eliminates.

Yes, 3 robot welders replace 3 welders but it creates 4 jobs so you have a net-gain of +1 jobs.

The uneducated and uninformed don't understand that.
"I was under the impression" is where you could have stopped. I fear your insight will be wasted, since the OP has also proclaimed AOC should be POTUS one day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2022, 10:55 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
The company I retired from besides being distributors for factory automation products , is also in the industrial water pump manufacturing business .

They have the pump castings made in a state of the art cnc factory in China ….

No way could humans ever produce the quality , volume and consistency of product that the robotics do
And that is a large ticket item, with limited vendors in the market. It is made overseas to try and keep costs down, or else Americans cant buy, or manufacturers cannot profit at the market price. I am not saying this is bad or good for society. I am just saying, it aint cheaper

Old 05-02-2022, 10:57 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
And that is a large ticket item, with limited vendors in the market. It is made overseas to try and keep costs down, or else Americans cant buy. I am not saying this is bad or good for society. I am just saying, it aint cheaper
It’s cheaper

We were almost put out of business because we were not competitive making them here
So yep now we can bid lower on all these bids and win

The quality is better now too. We have a lot less quality issues now with robotics taking over production

Old 05-02-2022, 11:44 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
Where exactly are all these jobs being created?
Don't look now, but a lot of these jobs that were created out of thin air may go *poof* soon.

Amazon recently said they deliberately over-hired during the pandemic to prevent staffing issues, and now that it's over many surplus employees (and any slackers) are going to get the axe. I'm sure Amazon wasn't the only large company that over-hired low-skill workers and will be cutting back soon.

Massive layoffs of low-skill workers, massive immigration of unskilled workers, inflation, higher interest rates, high energy prices, continued draining of the national treasury to support an overseas war, and an end to the student loan holiday is all going to converge in a disaster soon. Just my opinion.

Old 05-02-2022, 08:00 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,791,886 times
Because the US has more or less a free market. In Sweden it takes an average of 3-6 months to land a job because of all the bureaucracy involving employing someone. In the US you get hired on the spot.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:30 AM

7,747 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Of all the unnecessary jobs, I think our local library takes the cake. Since reopening since the Covid lockdown, we noticed staff peering into our discussion room, where about six of us retired people gather for a couple of hours once a week. Apparently they have to tick off every hour that the the maximum number, eight people, is not exceeded.
At least here in the USA, the public sector does not feel the same economic pressure to be efficient or to be effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjzC1Dgh17A

Old 05-06-2022, 08:28 AM

7 posts, read 9,767 times
in addition, America has a highly developed stock market, which also provides a large number of vacancies in the labor market
https://www.otsnews.co.uk/what-await...-from-experts/

Old 05-06-2022, 09:37 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
But it does work with grocery checkout,but they do need one clerk to oversee all the machines and they use software to catch cheating.

Old 05-07-2022, 07:48 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
When you mention automation, people think of car manufacturing. However, the vast majority of automation today is with information. Collecting, recording, cleaning, analyzing...

It's so much simpler to take what used to be recorded on a spreadsheet and put it in Salesforce and then automate some data population or record syncs than it is to build a robot or kiosk. Robots are physical, so we can see them, but they require highly refined tasks in specialty manufacturing and take years to build. There's SO much more automation around eliminating clicks where some people can punch something out in a week at the office than there is around eliminating hammer swings.

So what happens when you automate data work? You collect more, analyze more, and have better information. In this way it's different than cars, you can make them bigger and better, but people only need so many. With data it's never ending. What do you do with more data? Make better decisions.

I work in the data center business and I've automated away my original job a couple of times. What we've done is crammed more computers in a room that would have been to risky to do without accurate information on what they are using, allowed for customers to pay only for what they use rather than buy too much in case they need it, virtually check in on their space and request upgrades rather than driving out to the site and physically doing it, and minimize outages. All huge value adds, allowing the industry to actually build LESS because we use what we have better, it's more environmentally friendly.

Old 05-07-2022, 08:08 AM

7,747 posts, read 3,778,838 times
New types of jobs are created.

(With thanks to k7baixo

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics