Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2022, 12:07 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,469,646 times

Advertisements

The older generation die and young generation are not farmers,fishermen and crafts man.
It would be interesting to see if they have enough rice to eat,this is what they dont want to rely on imports.
Do you ever notice there are not too many fat people in Japan,besides the sumo wrestlers,they do not overeat,food is very expensive in Japan.
They have all you can eat buffet with a time limit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2022, 04:51 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,249,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Japan is a very racist society. While they are not exactly burning crosses in peoples yards, immigrates, even permanent residents or naturalized citizens are considered short-term visitors and treated as outsiders. There's no melting pot in japan as there is in the United States. If your not of Japanese decent, you will always be viewed as an outsider. A significant number of apartments, and some motels, night clubs, and public baths in Japan have put up signs stating that foreigners are not allowed, or that they must be accompanied by a Japanese person to enter. This alone would make me very hesitant to move to or invest in Japan.
Yes the legal environment in Japan is terrible unless you are connected. There's a 99% conviction rate which means people get railroaded.

I wouldn't expect FDI or immigration to ever be a part of Japan's economy.

Old 11-13-2022, 05:04 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,249,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Does anybody remember when the Emporors palace was valued higher than the entire state of California?

A huge national debt is not good for economic growth. Japan is the poster child for that. At least they didn't go Weimar.
That valuation was bubblicious and never really taken seriously. In fact it was a harbinger of the economic crash that was to follow.

Japan's national debt is mostly held domestically so the headline % of GDP number is not as bad as it looks. As in so many other ways, it's economy is sealed off from the rest of the world except for exports.

I think it was Stiglitz who said there were four types of economies in the world: capitalist economies, communist economies, Argentina, and Japan. Japan's economy is very weird and I would never expect hyperinflation to occur there for that reason.

A question for the skeptics about a resurgent Japan: where would you expect precision manufacturing to be located in, say, thirty years?

Old 11-13-2022, 05:08 PM

They said they dont want to mix the Japanese race,as others are inferior.
The Japanese are awfully disciplined,produce quality goods and work well as a team.
I drive a certified preowned Japanese car,only 1 minor problem with the steering wheel after 15 years !

Old 11-13-2022, 05:17 PM

Japan's national debt is mostly held domestically so the headline % of GDP number is not as bad as it looks. As in so many other ways, it's economy is sealed off from the rest of the world except for exports.
---------------
We call their debts SUSHI Bonds,meaning only Japanese would eat !
In some way they remind me of France,Petite bourgeoisie is kept alive by everyone paying higher prices to keep each other at comparable standard of living.
They dont import much from other countries.

Old 11-13-2022, 09:25 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Japan's national debt is mostly held domestically so the headline % of GDP number is not as bad as it looks.
Japan's external debt is nearly 100% of its GDP. Not as bad as some other countries but it's not good either.

Old 11-14-2022, 07:29 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,970,381 times
I bet if you move to tokyo or any of their major cities the $ / sq ft equivalent will be through the roof. They live in showboxes and pay through the nose. Yes there are rural areas that they will give houses away for free. But there are no jobs there. So if you want to work you will live in an area that is expensive.

Old 11-15-2022, 05:14 PM

The Japanese middle class is screwed,everything is so expensive,esp beef

Old 11-20-2022, 10:18 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,569,884 times
I was born in Japan, so I always feel a slight (albeit irrational) tie to the country.

I remember the first time my wife and I were going there traveling, my Mom gave me this sage advice: "they are bowing politely, and they hate you."

Old 11-21-2022, 10:16 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
The Japanese middle class is screwed,everything is so expensive,esp beef
Japanese people's purchasing power is terrible but things aren't expensive compared to Western Europe or America. A meal at a decent restaurant in Tokyo would be like 1500 to 2000 yen, which is barely $10-15. A big mac is like 400 yen which is not even $3. Compared to London or New York that's cheap af.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics