Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2023, 10:58 AM

1,230 posts, read 989,782 times

Advertisements

I read that there is lot of banks in the US and the world yes small, medium and big banks that have massive debt problem and it been going on for years and years. I ask just how bad the problem is and could it crash and cause bank run on like in Argentina? If this happens the US dollar would be worthless.

And what about the corporate debt problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2023, 01:57 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
I read that there is lot of banks in the US and the world yes small, medium and big banks that have massive debt problem and it been going on for years and years. I ask just how bad the problem is and could it crash and cause bank run on like in Argentina? If this happens the US dollar would be worthless.

And what about the corporate debt problem?
There is for sure a bank debt problem for the banks that proportionally hold too much in non-hedged long term government bonds and have seen deposits swell over the last couple three years. It's an easily solvable/manageable problem tho.

As a percentage of GDP corporate debt in The US is very similar to 5, 10, 15 year ago. And fairly low among G7 and OECD countries + China. Much lower than Canada, France, Sweden, Switzerland, Japan, China and many others.

Private sector debt as a percentage of GDP (non-financial corporate + household) over the last many years is down.

Old 03-18-2023, 01:59 PM

43,073 posts, read 18,237,901 times
Probably going to get worse as bonds tank and losses on paper mount

Old 03-19-2023, 02:07 PM

106,621 posts, read 108,757,383 times
bonds have been recovering nicely the last few weeks ..

long treasures are up 8% ytd (tlt)

the ten year rate has fallen to below 3-1/2 and intermediate term treasuries are up 4% ytd (ief)

Old 03-19-2023, 02:34 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,031,187 times
Corporate debt as a percentage of equities is very low. Lots of companies restructured debt under the incredibly low interest rates of the past several years. https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/NCBCMDPMVCE

Corporate debt as a percentage of net worth has been bouncing around at the same level for a while. However, if corporate debt has been locked in at a low interest rate, then it really isn't as much of a concern. https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/NCBCMDPNWMV

Old 03-19-2023, 06:46 PM

1,063 posts, read 906,736 times
how bad?

i do not know.

bank debt and
corporate debt
are not twins.

Old 03-19-2023, 06:58 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,301,405 times
I do not perceive that banks have made a plethora of bad loans, in contrast to what they did in the years leading up to the 2008 mortgage crisis. So they are not facing a bankruptcy problem but, as mentioned, a liquidity problem due the drop in mark-to-market value of long-term bond holdings. So the Fed can easily remedy that. Problem for the banks, of course, is low profitability, also in the face of competition to their core businesses, such as payment agent, from technology companies branching out into consumer financing. I, for one, do very little business with 20th-century style brick-and-mortar banks.

As for corporations, many borrowed at rock-bottom rates over the past 10-15 years, though certainly those who have to rollover now will face higher interest expense. Yet I see most corporations either maintaining and a few increasing dividend pay-outs.

Old 03-20-2023, 09:03 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,031,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I do not perceive that banks have made a plethora of bad loans, in contrast to what they did in the years leading up to the 2008 mortgage crisis. So they are not facing a bankruptcy problem but, as mentioned, a liquidity problem due the drop in mark-to-market value of long-term bond holdings. So the Fed can easily remedy that. Problem for the banks, of course, is low profitability, also in the face of competition to their core businesses, such as payment agent, from technology companies branching out into consumer financing. I, for one, do very little business with 20th-century style brick-and-mortar banks.

As for corporations, many borrowed at rock-bottom rates over the past 10-15 years, though certainly those who have to rollover now will face higher interest expense. Yet I see most corporations either maintaining and a few increasing dividend pay-outs.

I don't usually buy into the "this time is different" mantra, but the holdings of bad loans today compared to 2008 are like night and day.

Old 03-20-2023, 12:41 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,073,130 times
I have been trying to assemble the numbers.

The first one appears to be that there is roughly $700 BILLION of losses on debt on bank balance sheets which is marked (not to be confused with marked to market, which it isn't) as "Held to Maturity. In other words, if the banks marked these bonds to market, they would have roughly $700 Billion in losses to run through their P&L.

Now, the next question is how much equity do these banks have? According to one source they have $2.2 Trillion of Equity.

That should be sufficient to carry them through a run, but of course the next question is liquidity, which is what usually sinks a financial firm. They might have the assets, but they can't convert them to cash quickly enough to stem the tide.

Time will tell us the answer.

Old 03-20-2023, 05:32 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,358,842 times
The US dollar and other worldwide currencies are already getting close to being worthless.

In the past, a working-age blue-collar worker would be able to buy a house and raise a family on just one income.

The only people who can do that these days are the wealthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics