Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2023, 02:23 PM

334 posts, read 170,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Bought house for about $350k in 2013, now it is valued at $1.1m and the bank is offering me equity loans up to $770k.
That should tell you something is severely broken in the system. It is unrealized gain though, so if you don't take it, it doesn't matter if they offer you 770K or 7 billion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2023, 07:57 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,574,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
You're paying the property taxes, insurance, and upkeep each month in the form of your rental check. All that is figured in when the rental rate is determined.
That’s in theory but a landlord’s cost don’t set the rental market rates. Just because your monthly cost are X doesn’t mean you can rent for X or X+

Old 12-23-2023, 10:41 AM

30,627 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
That’s in theory but a landlord’s cost don’t set the rental market rates. Just because your monthly cost are X doesn’t mean you can rent for X or X+
Yep. I think it's best to say that you're paying at least some of them as a renter, but we're not talking about a neat a 1 to 1 ratio here. Otherwise, I would have been able to charge ~$2,800 instead of $2,300 when I rented out my 2/1 condo in Honolulu from 2019-2022 (market rents have increased since then, but so have taxes and other fees/expenses, so the same point holds).

People buying in Honolulu today are spending very high sums of money via mortgage (high interest rates), taxes, condo/housing association fees, etc. Even in 1/1 units in the most luxurious, newest units, you're not able to rent out for more than $4k a month, even though someone buying one of those units today has a mortgage/fees of a few thousand more than that amount every month.

Old 12-23-2023, 05:27 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,704,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Yep. I think it's best to say that you're paying at least some of them as a renter, but we're not talking about a neat a 1 to 1 ratio here. Otherwise, I would have been able to charge ~$2,800 instead of $2,300 when I rented out my 2/1 condo in Honolulu from 2019-2022 (market rents have increased since then, but so have taxes and other fees/expenses, so the same point holds).
If my apartment were magically to convert into a condo at market-rates, then my PITI would be more than double that of the current rent... and that's before the HOA fee.

Old 12-23-2023, 05:51 PM

7,506 posts, read 3,227,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
If my apartment were magically to convert into a condo at market-rates, then my PITI would be more than double that of the current rent... and that's before the HOA fee.
Have you considered tax deductions in this scenario?

Old 12-24-2023, 04:40 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,797,775 times
The housing shortage has put some areas significantly out of whack. In NH some areas in less desirable locations that formerly had very inexpensive housing that before Covid sold for low to mid $100,000s are now selling in the $300,000s. Many are old and in need of quite a bit of work due to years of deferred maintenance. Land prices are up too but not as much as home prices. However, the construction costs and the lack of contractors to do the work makes new construction unfeasible since even a simple home, such as a raised ranch, constructed on a $100,000 lot will have an all in cost of $500,000 or more. NH also has a labor shortage with one of the lowest unemployment rates in the US. The lack of affordable housing makes it difficult to attract and retain young workers to replace those retiring.

Old 01-27-2024, 03:53 PM

979 posts, read 519,755 times
Four words: Two thousand and eight. Thank you.

Old 01-30-2024, 09:02 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,136,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
Four words: Two thousand and eight. Thank you.
How profound

3 words….Not even close

Old 01-30-2024, 09:16 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
The housing shortage has put some areas significantly out of whack. In NH some areas in less desirable locations that formerly had very inexpensive housing that before Covid sold for low to mid $100,000s are now selling in the $300,000s. Many are old and in need of quite a bit of work due to years of deferred maintenance. Land prices are up too but not as much as home prices. However, the construction costs and the lack of contractors to do the work makes new construction unfeasible since even a simple home, such as a raised ranch, constructed on a $100,000 lot will have an all in cost of $500,000 or more. NH also has a labor shortage with one of the lowest unemployment rates in the US. The lack of affordable housing makes it difficult to attract and retain young workers to replace those retiring.
It's more areas than not.

I split time between northeast TN and western NC. I live in northeast TN, my girlfriend lives in western NC, and I work for a western NC county government.

We have been looking to get a plumbing estimate for underslab work in NC for months now. It's almost impossible to even get a response, much less someone to come out and estimate the job. Virtually any sort of tradesman is booked out months in advance for houses under construction. Small jobs like this aren't even worth their time.

We finally did get someone to come out, but they can't commit to even a ballpark timeframe.

Real estate has gone through the roof in both places - a little more so in NC than TN, but TN is quickly catching up. Wages in TN have always been in the toilet. Today, sure, some of those low end jobs have had big pay raises, but they can't afford the housing anyway.

Old 01-30-2024, 09:57 AM

6,963 posts, read 2,698,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Sure it does. Why bother having rental property that loses money every month? Rent has to over all the costs of ownership plus some profit for future maintence and income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics