Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2023, 12:29 AM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
That's why the fixed rate mortgages are dumb. Variable rate allow the market to adjust to whatever the new reality is much quicker than being a frozen quagmire every time rates go up. Canada will be fixed long before we are.

The payment stability isn't worth the list price and sales volume gyrations that fixed rates bring.
Definitely pros and cons of fixed rate vs variable rate mortgages. In my case, I'm for darn glad that I have a fixed rate 2.75% and didn't get a variable rate when I refinanced several years ago. Not the best for the economy in the long run, but great for my wallet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2023, 11:57 AM

5,363 posts, read 5,143,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Well yes, I had the same thought. Fixed and variable each have their issues. If we had only variable loans in the U.S. we'd be seeing a lot of people selling or losing their homes today because they can't make the higher payments. Maybe Canada is different, in that buyers are not stretching their budget like we do here in the U.S.?? I don't know.
Most people wouldn't be losing their home, but they would be having to allocate more $$ to housing costs. And vice versa when it goes down - essentially it allows interest rates to ACTUALLY effect the economy more immediately. Canada's already slowing down quite a bit as consumers have less to spend, but there's nothing "impending", they are taking their medicine now. We get to have 6-8 years of a totally screwed up frozen housing market instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Definitely pros and cons of fixed rate vs variable rate mortgages. In my case, I'm for darn glad that I have a fixed rate 2.75% and didn't get a variable rate when I refinanced several years ago. Not the best for the economy in the long run, but great for my wallet
Oh yes, there are people who got the good end of the deal but on the whole it's bad for the economy. Think about the wild swings in the relator industry, it goes from shortage to surplus depending on the interest rate whim. That's not healthy, stability is much better. Think about all the refinancing costs that could go away with variable rates. That's wasted money.

Old 11-13-2023, 12:32 PM

3,216 posts, read 1,682,361 times
In the end, the health of the economy depends on currency being exchanged. If not, more and more people will not get paid or less being paid and less will spend. Then we should have one of the biggest market crashes since the depression.

Old 11-17-2023, 07:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Here in Sammamish WA home prices are down 4.5% from last year, but the median is still at We are still seeing homes selling for over a million in less than last year but still averaging $1,457,780, selling in 11 days, with 32.6% selling over asking price. People seem to forget that interest rates were above 10% for many years, in fact there was a boom in sales activity when it dropped to 8%. The current rates are not bad at all, many people are just spoiled by the long run of record low rates, and upset that they missed that opportunity.

Old 11-17-2023, 09:37 AM

6,765 posts, read 5,066,113 times
Quote:
Most people wouldn't be losing their home, but they would be having to allocate more $$ to housing costs.
Certainly not "most" in the sense of more than 50%, or anything close to that. There are lots of homeowners with no mortgage, and lots of homeowners who bought 10-20 years ago and never extracted equity. Very few of those people would be in any trouble.

It's the people who bought in the past few years using 30-year mortgages at 3% who might be at risk. If their rate jumped to 7.5% their P&I increases by 2/3. What percentage of homeowners are in this camp? I really don't know, but IMO most of them would be under serious financial pressure.

With all that said, it doesn't take a huge percentage to cause trouble. During the financial panic the percentage of mortgages in 90+ days of delinquency peaked at about 5%. So that was probably about 3% of all homeowners.

https://www.consumerfinance.gov/data...ys-delinquent/

Last edited by hikernut; 11-17-2023 at 10:42 AM..

Old 11-17-2023, 12:00 PM

2,287 posts, read 3,083,525 times
Quote:
Certainly not "most" in the sense of more than 50%, or anything close to that. There are lots of homeowners with no mortgage, and lots of homeowners who bought 10-20 years ago and never extracted equity. Very few of those people would be in any trouble.

It's the people who bought in the past few years using 30-year mortgages at 3% who might be at risk. If their rate jumped to 7.5% their P&I increases by 2/3. What percentage of homeowners are in this camp? I really don't know, but IMO most of them would be under serious financial pressure.

With all that said, it doesn't take a huge percentage to cause trouble. During the financial panic the percentage of mortgages in 90+ days of delinquency peaked at about 5%. So that was probably about 3% of all homeowners.

Fixed-rate mortgages account for over 90% of all mortgages. ARM's are less than 10%. This is per Mortgage Bankers Association data. The people being most affected by the higher rates are those few with ARMs and of course new or relocating home buyers without a lot of equity. This is why new-builds have risen in popularity lately - because now home builders are offering significant rate buydowns as an incentive, many offering buydown to 5%.

Old 11-19-2023, 12:19 PM

5,363 posts, read 5,143,422 times
Quote:

I mean the jist of it is the current level of home prices is way above a where they should be and without some sort of mechanism to bring down spending and prices, we just sit with high rates / inflation, protecting the lucky ones that locked in early.

Old 11-19-2023, 02:27 PM

7,627 posts, read 3,271,056 times
Quote:
I mean the jist of it is the current level of home prices is way above a where they should be and without some sort of mechanism to bring down spending and prices, we just sit with high rates / inflation, protecting the lucky ones that locked in early.
So, if you did not get in early on the stock market are you due a check? I'd like to know because I don't have the stomach for the stock market after living through two major crashes.

Old 11-19-2023, 04:11 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,527,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
In the end, the health of the economy depends on currency being exchanged. If not, more and more people will not get paid or less being paid and less will spend. Then we should have one of the biggest market crashes since the depression.
Deflation will be terrible.
Quote:
USA will be entering a phase where us Boomers will start dying off which will free up housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
So, if you did not get in early on the stock market are you due a check? I'd like to know because I don't have the stomach for the stock market after living through two major crashes.
Me too.

Old 11-19-2023, 05:41 PM

3,216 posts, read 1,682,361 times
I disagree with the housing problem. What we lack are cheap housing in desirable areas. Plenty of home scattered all over the US that are below media home prices but the millennials and Gen Z only wants to live in desirable places. Many millennials that got their parents macmanisons are selling them to move to inner cities or trendy suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics