Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2023, 07:37 PM

1,230 posts, read 988,568 times

Advertisements

I read that there is lot of banks in the US and the world that have debt problem. But mainstream news is not talking about this or the government.

Just how bad is the banks in the US and the world the debt problem?

Could this trigger market crash?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2023, 09:11 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
They can always get bailed out.

Old 08-25-2023, 09:32 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
I read that there is lot of banks in the US and the world that have debt problem. But mainstream news is not talking about this or the government.

Why don't you go read their balance sheets?

This is the Economics Forum. You should know how to read the balance sheet of any bank governed by federal banking regulations or publicly-traded corporation. And, no, you won't find them on Pukipedia or Notreddit.

Seriously, you put your money in a bank but don't read its financial reports? Jeez.

Old 08-25-2023, 10:49 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

This is the Economics Forum. You should know how to read the balance sheet of any bank governed by federal banking regulations or publicly-traded corporation. And, no, you won't find them on Pukipedia or Notreddit.

Seriously, you put your money in a bank but don't read its financial reports? Jeez.

What percentage of people do you think read a bank’s balance sheet before opening a bank account? I work for one of the big 4 banks, and I work in credit where I review balance sheets daily, and it never once occurred to me to look at my bank’s balance sheet.

Old 08-25-2023, 11:18 AM

293 posts, read 88,840 times
There's no bank debt problem for US banks. The bank debt problem is for holders of US currency as that debt will be inflated away. Over the past 3 years, holders of US debt lost 30% of their value. See how easy that was?

Old 08-25-2023, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Why would anyone read a bank's balance sheet if their deposits are FDIC insured? How many depositor's have more than $250K in any individual bank account? 2%?

Old 08-25-2023, 11:21 AM

5,144 posts, read 3,076,394 times
Lack of liquidity as interest rates rise and lenders tighten is starting to squeeze many companies and smaller banks. Like a wildfire, a small default in some obscure place can spread quickly with consequences to larger entities. The Fed and other central banks think they can put out the flames, but who really knows? Ben Bernanke's hubris in 2007 where he claimed that the subprime mortgage problem was "contained" is a perfect example of Friedrich Hayek's warning to economists about the "Pretense of Knowledge". Then there is Janet Yellen's famous boast: "No new financial crisis in our lifetimes" ...

Today we see essentially worthless debts being used routinely for collateral. I guess it's OK as long as everybody pretends they have value.

Old 08-25-2023, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Lack of liquidity as interest rates rise and lenders tighten is starting to squeeze many companies and smaller banks. Like a wildfire, a small default in some obscure place can spread quickly with consequences to larger entities. The Fed and other central banks think they can put out the flames, but who really knows? Ben Bernanke's hubris in 2007 where he claimed that the subprime mortgage problem was "contained" is a perfect example of Friedrich Hayek's warning to economists about the "Pretense of Knowledge". Then there is Janet Yellen's famous boast: "No new financial crisis in our lifetimes" ...

Today we see essentially worthless debts being used routinely for collateral. I guess it's OK as long as everybody pretends they have value.
The only thing being squeezed is inefficiency and useless workers who were pigging out at the trough like never before during the ZIRP era.

Old 08-25-2023, 06:27 PM

7,642 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssalceraflew View Post
The only thing being squeezed is inefficiency and useless workers who were pigging out at the trough like never before during the ZIRP era.
Tim's not wrong, albeit it ignores the very essence of why the Fed was put into place in the first place.

But for whatever reason, the succinct answer you gave left me cracking up. Also precisely accurate and redirecting to what's actually going to happen.

Old 08-25-2023, 07:22 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post

Could this trigger market crash?
Possibly. The FDIC is convinced that they can maintain stability even though their self-imposed deadline for fund deposit ratios is not until 2028.

https://www.fdic.gov/resources/depos.../dif-fund.html

That said, the ratios only dipped a few basis points from the target value during the depths of the pandemic, so it seems the system is relatively robust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics