Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 10:07 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
There was never a time when "every kid worked summers--no matter how poor....".
Maybe not where you lived--where I was, every kid that was halfway able-bodied (male or female) and with anything approaching normal intelligence usually could find some kind of summer job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 10:31 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times
No job, I repeat no job is underneathe you. That's a lesson everyone should learn. I've made that mistake in the past and it hurt dearly. Pride is the deadliest sin of them all. The proud have the farthest to fall. Get a job, save up, invest in yourself, find something you are passionate about, and work towards becoming self employed.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:21 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,453 times
Low level jobs really do have a deeper design, maybe only years of experience allows you to see that. You learn many lessons of great value that serve you well in the coming decades of your life and career. The semi-comfy spot I'm in now careerwise is something I earned over the decades. Earned from working the grunt jobs over the years, giving up weekends, doing all the things nobody else wanted to do.

My first job back in 1973 was making donuts. Pay was free breakfast and five dollars a day. That's roughly $25 per day in today's dollars. Not bad for a tenth grader then or now for three hours work.

Forgive me, maybe I'm just around the wrong kids. Somebody tell me some good stories about hard working teens you know.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:00 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
Low level jobs really do have a deeper design, maybe only years of experience allows you to see that. You learn many lessons of great value that serve you well in the coming decades of your life and career. The semi-comfy spot I'm in now careerwise is something I earned over the decades. Earned from working the grunt jobs over the years, giving up weekends, doing all the things nobody else wanted to do.

My first job back in 1973 was making donuts. Pay was free breakfast and five dollars a day. That's roughly $25 per day in today's dollars. Not bad for a tenth grader then or now for three hours work.

Forgive me, maybe I'm just around the wrong kids. Somebody tell me some good stories about hard working teens you know.
I worked at a homeless shelter for teens. Those kids would have done ANYTHING to make money. You had a few who were just wastes of space, but the majority busted their humps.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:36 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Anyhow, I always find it annoying when people pretend they are better than others because they paid their way in college. There is nothing wrong with having parents that are well off enough to pay for college.
No, but there IS something inherently wrong when college students who suckle on their parents' financial teat begin to develop an aura of snobbery around them. I worked full-time through high school, sacrificing my own dreams of joining the cross country and swim teams in order to put as little of a financial burden upon my parents as I possibly could. I was only earning $6.50/hr. at the time working as a stock person at the local grocery store, so all I could afford at the time was the 1990s Ford Contour that I currently drive. Now that I'm in college, I see that most of my peers drive newer vehicles, with many of those being even nicer ones than my parents, who earn $80,000 annually, drive. BMWs, Range Rovers, Lexuses, etc. aren't anomalies by any means, and we all know that a typical 20-year-old has not ammassed that much income to date in order to pay for such high monthly payments and insurance payments, yet a lot of my peers who drive such vehicles like to "show off." I don't think there's anything noble about trying to say "my parents are richer than your parents." It's actually in poor taste, especially since I've seen people snicker at my car in the past. I'm now earning considerably more money and will likely be able to afford a new vehicle next year. Am I going to shop for a Mercedes-Benz to keep up with everyone else in Scranton? Nope. I'd be overjoyed with a Ford Focus or Toyota Corolla. Life is simply too brief to be worried about upstaging everyone else. Apparently most in my generation lost that memo.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:21 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
*edit*

Tried to post the chart from the site here but the formating didn't carry over, just click the link below to see what the sales for the U.S. are. Down from last year.

link

^^

As I said, as things get worse, sales will slow. One of my closest friends works at a mcdonalds in Atlanta. Told me, his manager said they were cutting back hours at his particular location because of the dramatic decrease in sales. There was a good article on CNN site about restaurant sales and how bad things are. Things are going to get really ugly.
Sorry. One guy working the fries at the local McDonalds isn't a good source for economic trends. I do marketing for several fast food companies, and they've reported good upward trends on sales so far this year. Now their margins are getting hurt because of transportation costs, so they're having to switch more to flogging value menus. However, the biz isn't having a hard time of it.

More to the point, I haven't noticed a mass exodus of illegal aliens back over the Rio Grande. Those guys are the ones who have the jobs that teenagers no longer are willing to take.

Where I live, unemployment actually decreased in May to 3.1%. What's more the latest Manpower survey shows that 50% of area employers are planning on expanding their payrolls in 3Q.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Sorry. One guy working the fries at the local McDonalds isn't a good source for economic trends. I do marketing for several fast food companies, and they've reported good upward trends on sales so far this year. Now their margins are getting hurt because of transportation costs, so they're having to switch more to flogging value menus. However, the biz isn't having a hard time of it.

More to the point, I haven't noticed a mass exodus of illegal aliens back over the Rio Grande. Those guys are the ones who have the jobs that teenagers no longer are willing to take.

Where I live, unemployment actually decreased in May to 3.1%. What's more the latest Manpower survey shows that 50% of area employers are planning on expanding their payrolls in 3Q.
First off, try reading the link, that is from McDonald's official site which is the chain you named and guess what, sales are down! I mentioned my friend as a anecdotal story to back up the official numbers from McDonald's which again stated sales are down in the U.S. over the last year.

As for manpower I have no clue about their projections or how they come up with them (projects mean nothing by the way). U.S. job growth is slowing down, we can go on all day with this but at the end of the day official numbers don't lie, the jobs are drying up, period.

Another good read on the topic

link

There was another article I will post if I find it that talks about other fast food and restaurant chains like Ruby Tuesdays who are also seeing decreasing sales and many have cut jobs.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:47 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
First off, try reading the link, that is from McDonald's official site which is the chain you named and guess what, sales are down! I mentioned my friend as a anecdotal story to back up the official numbers from McDonald's which again stated sales are down in the U.S. over the last year.

As for manpower I have no clue about their projections or how they come up with them (projects mean nothing by the way). U.S. job growth is slowing down, we can go on all day with this but at the end of the day official numbers don't lie, the jobs are drying up, period.

Another good read on the topic

link

There was another article I will post if I find it that talks about other fast food and restaurant chains like Ruby Tuesdays who are also seeing decreasing sales and many have cut jobs.
Your link was from six months ago. Meanwhile the McDonald's report I discussed is May 2008 sales compared to May 2007.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Your link was from six months ago. Meanwhile the McDonald's report I discussed is May 2008 sales compared to May 2007.
Quote:
MCD, , ) said overall global sales at stores open at least one year rose 7.7% from May 2007, with comparable-store sales in the U.S. posting 4.3% growth. While those figures were down from the year-ago month, Oak Brook, Ill.-based McDonald's is being helped by cash-constrained consumers facing higher gas and food prices, along with the continuing popularity of its breakfast line-up and the launch of its new "Southern style" chicken biscuit and sandwich.
So now we got that out of the way, things are slowing down. These jobs for kids are naturally going to shrink

link

Old 06-11-2008, 02:06 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,975,456 times
Are people seriously JUST NOW figuring this one out?....Of course teens cant find any jobs...thats why people like me say its a load of lies when people say that "illegals are just doing the jobs that Americans wont do"..

no, what they're doing is the jobs that American teens no longer have the opportunity to do, because they have been undercut...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics